Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rhododendron and bellflower petals swirl through deep, cool, dark aquatic notes.

I made this into a perfume solid already. I couldn't detect any one scent in particular, just clean, fresh water. Maybe a little cold too.

In the bottle: Light, green aquatic floral.

Wet: This is very juicy and aquatic. It smells divine! The florals are bright summer blooms swirling in dark water undercurrents. It smells a lot like R'Lyeh to me. They both have the purplish dark water thing going on and the florals give it a similar sweetness.

Dry: This turned very powdery and soapy on me and now smells more like desdemona. It packs a lot of punch in the nose department. It's still aquatic, but it's more blue ocean, whereas it was deep purple water in the wet stage. The florals have pretty much taken over and are very potent, bright and white.

I quite liked the wet stage, but alas, it went really soapy on my skin.

In The Bottle Watery aquatic floral

Wet It's similar to Blue Moon. The watery floral, minus the cucumber and alluringly sweet blooms, and that sparkle factor. Blue Moon was an aquatic floral that was like the sparkling crests of ripples on the surface, that shimmer when the moon is full and the city litghts are glowing playing off the water. This is a colder version, more subdued and less complex. Danube is that water in the shadows under a bridge with moss and vines reaching into it......

Drydown Tulips. Attention nostrils, tulips have arrived. :P

Two Hours Later Faint. Less tulip, more original version. I can hardly smell it though.

Verdict Didn't really do anything for me. It was nice, but kinda boring.

In the bottle and upon first application I thought this had a little of an artificial grapefruit smell, that reminded me of something I already owned.

Danube smells exactly like this Victoria Secret body splash that I have, "Turquiose Paradise." It is a fresh aquatic floral. It reminds me of what I imagine sweet water to smell like (you know, heroes are always finding springs of sweet water to quench their thirsts).

Unfortunately this smell faded really quickly on me. I've been wearing it for about four hours now, and it is nearly all gone.

Actually Im not very good with aquatics but my darling bf lives in Vienna and I miss him..... :D

EDITED:Not anymore we broke up... :P Still feel the same about dear old Danube :D

Anyway, its cool strong florals with some citrus. When I wear it however, there is something sort of creamy coming out along with the aquatic. I know its crazy but thats what happens on me really! How can this be?!

Its nice but nothing unusual.

Edited by thespring

In the imp: Very floral, very aquatic. It's sweet.

Wet: Definitely rhododendron floating on water. There's a crispness here that reminds me vaguely of an apple. Not so much the smell but the sensation of taking a bite out of a crisp, fresh apple.

Drydown: Ah, there's the pink grapefruit everyone's talking about. It's definitely taken over.

Final thoughts: This is definitely a bright, happy scent. It was more mysterious in the wet stages before the grapefruit overpowered everything else in the drydown stage. I'll have to give this a few more tries before I give my final verdict.

Danube- Wow this is potent! It's initially off-putting if just for the sharp and bitter grapefruit-y scent. Gladly this turns into a more tolerable but still sharp scent. Why am I getting fruit out of this? I do smell the "coolness" of it and if I had to picture this oil in my mind, it would be a smoked-glass punchbowl filled with clear, chilled creek water, orange slices, peaches and melon balls with just a sprinkle of flower petals. I'd wear this on a scorching hot day. Not bad after all. Did I mention that this one is strong?

This is simply a stunning blend. It's so fresh (that citrus note), very floral, and deep blue. It sparkles. As it dries, the blend goes from chilly cool to refreshingly still water... very hard to describe, but wonderful.

I also have a very personal feeling for this blend - it reminds me very much of my engagement ring. It's a star sapphire, which can be a deep, dark blue in one type of light, and a translucent sky blue in another (and all the shades between). And obviously, there is a lot of sentiment I attach to that.

Danube - my first aquatic!

In the bottle: The smell of being in a garden just after it rained. Strong, sweet florals and an aquatic note.

On me: The florals pop out, sweet and the verge of soapy, but good nonetheless. But what is amazing to me is the aquatic note - I feel like I can smell fresh clean water running by. Wow! :P

This one often draws me as I walk by the imp box.

Vial:Rhododendron with citrus & aquatic note. It's similar to R'lyeh, but I have a bad feeling about the floral in this one.

Wet: More rhododendron. It becomes stronger once I apply it to my wrist. The citrus scent is still there.

Dry: The aquatic note has all but faded. The citrus scent starts to fade as it dried. Only the rhododendron got stronger. Much stronger. It's a very perfumey floral.

I received this as a freebie from a forum purchase. It smells similar to R'lyeh initially, but overall, it's too floral for me. I would like it more if it were less perfumey & more citrus/aquatic.

In the bottle

floral and water

On

Ooh this is nice. It’s bright , fresh and almost minty. It reminds me very much of Blue Moon except danube is less floral but that fresh cucumbery smell is there. Danube is slightly sweet too along with that fresh cucumbery scent, also like Blue Moon is.

When I read “watery” in the description I again expected that “twang” of ozonish water scent. It’s not ozoney, it’s not sour lime-y water, it’s just watery.

30 minutes

Dry

It’s powdery lovliness. If I didn’t know Rhodoendron, bellflowers were in it I’d guess that there were a fresh green slightly sweet smelling flower with something that smells like pear in the distance.

The lime-ish smell is more present at this stage and nowhere near as beautiful as it was.

Throw:

light/medium

Scent category:

Floral/Green/Watery

Purchase again?

Yes, an imp.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

ADDED July 13:

In the bottle

Heaven

On

Oh my. It smells like a combo of Amsterdam and Blue Moon or maybe Eos a bit too maybe with some Luna. This is a wow.

I think I smell white lotus again I do get that vague cucumber note of Blue Moon but not hear as clearly as in Blue moon. This is softer.

30 minutes

Now it smells like Snow White and Amsterdam combined. That fresh smell mixed with light sweet flowers.

Throw:

A bit more than average

Scent category:

Aqua/Floral

Summary

It smells like a fresh floral with a watery base. Not too strong nor to blah. It's a floral perhaps for people who normally don't like florals. Very feminine without being cloying. It's sweet but not too sweet at all. Beautiful.

If you tried Blue Moon and liked it but it was just too strong for you, you'll go bananas over Danube. :P

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

It's so beautiful. 4.5

Edited by UltraViolet

Danube is like the flip side of R'lyeh: Bright clear water, sunshine, and all kinds of juicy pale green plants. No lurking oily darkness here.

Sweeter and less serene than Amsterdam. While I like Amsterdam as an ambient fragrance, I can see wearing Danube with a light cotton frock for a day in the park.

This is very pretty if you like aquatics. It's a light blue, watery scent. Very fresh, not an uber floral to my nose at all. It is very light though, to the point of almost disappearing. I keep having to sniff my wrist to make sure it's still there. There is something a tad sharp in it, I think it's the rhododendron? it's keeping this from being a typical aquatic. It does have a bit of a sharp kick, but it's mellow and smooth and well blended.

If you love aquatics, this is a must have! :P

Danube:

Wet: Whoa.. serious aquatic smell. I also smell something that could possibly be a tinge of ozone, but I always seem to smell that with aquatics.

Drydown: Like many others here, I also got that "grapefruit" smell for a bit. The scent then settled down into a beautiful blend of floral + water. Most people think of Danube as being blue, but I think of it as being green. I'm not sure why.

Long-term wear: I don't yet know if this will be a big bottle scent or not. It's lovely, though. I keep coming back to my wrist to sniff and ponder. I'll continue to use the imp, and decide then if it's my thing.

Danube probably is the nicest smelling aquatic that I've tried so far, the florals are light, but give it a beautiful edge.

However, my skin seems to eat this one all up, and within 10-15 minutes, the scent is gone.

How sad.

This smells exactly like cold, deep blue water to me, start to finish. Absolutely lovely. It reminds me a bit, not of the Danube...since I've never seen the Danube...but of Lake Tahoe: cool, deep and clear, surrounded by snow-topped mountains. This will be a perfect scent for the dog days of summer. Big bottle for sure.

Danube is a crisp, fresh, icy, citrusy floral. Grapefruit, are you in there? Pretty, feminine. Not sweet -- well, the florals might be a little sweet behind the citrus scent, but it's definitely not sugary. Not my style.

ETA: As this dries more, this does smell watery! Ahh, so that's what aquatics smell like. Amazing.

Edited by tart

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Flowery water.

In the imp/bottle: Flowery sea water! This is actually very nice.

On skin, wet: This is most certainly a floral sea water: dark, heavy flowers in deep, warm water.

On skin, dry: This doesn't change much from wet, surprisingly.

Conclusion: This smells lovely, but it does strange things to my stomach; A few minutes after putting this on, I was nauseous. I washed it off, and it went away. I tried it again; same thing.

Edited by Aredhel

Danube is an amazing watery fragrance. It brings to mind an image of slowly flowing dark blue water. A bit scary and daunting. The floral scent is rather unique, I don't remember coming across anything quite like it in a perfume. They add a familiar sweetness and sense of mystery to the fragrance.

After wearing this for about 15 minutes, I got that familiar nagging feeling that I'd smelled this scent somewhere before. Then it hit me: this smells like my first deodorant. I think it was Teen Spirit's "Caribbean Cool" scent. I remember being around twelve years old and wishing that I had that deodorant in a perfume... now I do... but it's not that appealing anymore, lol.

I like Danube, but it will probably never be a full bottle purchase on my list. It's just not me anymore...

This is a very cool, calm, watery floral. It reminds me of deep green shaded water.

It almost works on me. There's just this tangy grass smell underneath that makes the scent sort of pungent and sour. Otherwise, it was just as I had imagined from the description. I wish that this one worked completely on me.

A freebie from the lab.

Put it on last night--had no idea what was in it til I read the reviews today.

In the bottle...huh. Cool. Floral. Nothing jumps out it me.

On--well, I didn't get the grapefruit notes other did-wish I had because I adore grapefruit. What I got was a cool, watery scent, slight floral sweetness.

Reminded me, oddly enough, of cucumbers. Cool and green--I guess that might even make sense--couldn't cucumbers be an acquatic note?

In anycase, its not me. I really don't like acquatics. Luckily, it didn't last long at all. And someone else wants it, so off it goes.

Danube

Watery floral hidden under EVIL GRAPEFRUIT RIND. There's a heavy dark grapefruit cloud which obscures what would otherwise be a lovely watery floral that smells like it is lily based. Oh I want to like this so much but the grapefruit is just killing me. Oh yes! The grapefruit is fading away. It's still there but getting less and less strong as it dries. Oh this could be such a pretty floral without the grapefruit. The grapefruit is 90% gone now. And this is a nice light, watery lily based floral with an almost cucumber note. Grapefruit is GONE! It took at least 15 minutes for the nasty grapefruit to fade away, I'm not sure if that's something I could overcome in order for me to wear this scent regularly. It is a lovely light scent, grapefruit not withstanding.

This is possibly the least helpful review ever. I have NO idea what Danube smells like - sort of a tart juicy citrus, but I couldn't say which citrus fruit. There's some floral in there, but I couldn't tell you which. There's some watery smell, but not really.

In a case of the sum being more than its parts, however, I absolutely ADORE Danube and it smells ridiculously good on me. It's perfect for summer and just plain yummy.

To me, this scent is more about memory than fragrance (which is sort of fitting, since I last wore it 6 months ago and have to do this review from memory).

As most have said, it is a deep blue, and aquatic scent - but not salty, ozone-y, beachy aquatic, nor is it murky, swampy aquatic. Like a cold swimming pool on a hot day (minus the chlorine! or maybe if you were adding grapefruit to your pool instead of chlorine) with every blue flower imaginable floating on top of it.

Imagine being 6 years old and holding your breath and submerging yourself in a swimming pool, then slo-o-o-wly sinking to the bottom. The water is cool and you feel like the only person in the world and everything is just totally silent.

Did anyone else do this as a kid? That was my favourite part of summer. Imagine looking up and seeing the sun streaming down into the water, between all of the blue petals. It's calm and soothing and serene.

To sum up, this is a lovely, cool and serene scent, absolutely a must for hot, sticky weather and for people who haven't got a swimming pool!