Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

DCXXXVII (638)

straight sniff from bottle this is a very gourmandy/foody scent...cookie-ish :P
some spicy sweetness as well...this didn't morph much at all and unfortunately
didn't last nearly long enough for my tastes so off to a better home she goes :D

Previously reviewed by Aredhel.

CHAOS THEORY III CLXXVII

In Bottle: Citrus and tea

On Skin: This is number 177. The strongest note is tea, a nice light tea with a squeeze of lemon. This actually reminds me of White Rabbit, but softer. White rabbit has black tea whereas this one seems like a suntea or a milder form of tea... hmm maybe greentea? White Rabbit is also sweeter with the honey and vanilla notes, this one seems much more citrus and bright. The lemon note is nice and not Pledgelike at all. A very pretty scent, it also reminds me of a few of the Asian scents like Shanghai. Actually, as the scent develops it’s much more like Shanghai or Holiday Moon than White Rabbit. A medium to strong throw, average wearlength.

CMXIV (914)

In the bottle: Whoa. This is really reminding me of a Maelstrom sniff. Its like a really biting version of Fortunato..yet i can detect the sweetness of Montresor as well..:P

On the skin: Damn! its like a really sharp peppery cherry brandy..??

Afterhours: this has dried down to a faint lemony-oak sugar booze..how lovely is this?! omg. :D

Chaos Theory III CMLXXIII (973)

!! WE HAVE A WINNER. Delicious sweet sugared berries (I know there's strawberry and raspberry in there, at least) with a light touch of warm vanilla and a tiny spike of neroli in the background.

It's soft, sweet, TOTALLY delicious and exactly the kind of berry scent I've been craving! And it's MINE, ALL MINE!! *clutches bottle*

DCCCLXXXIII

In the imp: Tropical fruits. For once, a fruit scent isn't Juicy Fruit gum to me, it's the old zebra striped "tropical fruit" flavored gum. I suspect there may be a touch of lotus and some other florals in it too, but it's too soon to be sure.

Application point: Left wrist.

Wet on the skin: This is driving me crazy. It smells EXACTLY like some tropical fruit that I can't quite place. Is it mango? Is it papaya? Arg! What the heck is it?! (Whatever it is, it smells pretty darn good.)

Early dry down: After about half an hour, the overwhelming tropical fruit scent (what is it?!) has started to tame itself with some subtle, sweet florals. I don't think that this has lotus after all, unless maybe it's golden lotus. (It doesn't do the overly sweet Bazooka gum thing that lotus usually does on me.) It reminds me a little bit of Titania in that it's fruity, tempered with sweet florals. I actually think there might be a touch of peach in here too, since I'm getting the same back-of-the-throat, syrup sensation that I got from the peach in that blend. There's also a subtle spice at the base that I think is actually a really light musk. It's very similar to the floral musk I got from Titania. Maybe it has something akin to the musk rose that was in that blend?

Late dry down: Sometimes, I really hate my nose. My chemistry has actually turned this fruity floral blend into something quite nice, but my nose refuses to admit that florals can ever be nice and insists on itching and sneezing. It has a mind of its own. Grr.

This is still a very sweet, tropically fruity scent, but paired with subtle florals over a base of an unobtrusive something that might be either a musk or a spice. I definitely want to find this bottle a good home. It deserves one. :hug:s bottle.

After investigation: I drug the boy to the grocery store where we man-handled fruits in the produce section and sniffed them like crazed fiends. I'm now convinced that the tropical fruit scent is papaya. The boy, of course, has to disagree. He says it's guava. But we both agree that it's not mango!

Chaos Theory III: MXV. 1015, if my Roman numerals are right.

I took a HUGE gamble only buying one bottle of this. The gamble paid off. This CT3 is an almost exact replica of Dorian, right down to its soft drydown where it's all vanilla tea. I had to double-take to make sure it wasn't actually labeled Dorian rather than a Chaos Theory!

I seriously couldn't be more thrilled with it - most foody scents don't work on me, because my skin amps sugary and vanilla-y notes, but this one WORKS. :P

My two (VERY high numbers)

CMLXII- 962

In the bottle- OK this is strange, I get a tingle like of menthol I believe from eucaluptus (like my nose actually tingles like from Vicks though lightly) but there is also a spice here ginger or a dusty cinnamon its not clear what that spice is. I don't know why I feel like at least in the bottle this scent should have been included in the Arkam series as it reminds me of some ancient dark Lovecraftian monster.

First on- The tingle is still there but the actual scent of the ecualuptus is gone this has a dusty tone of a slight spice with just a tinge of floral coming up at the back as it rests on my skin. But not a girly floral a darker floral in perfect balance with the now slightly resiny scent.

Changing spiral of scent- OK I think that this scent was designed to exibit almost every style of oil Beth has ever done. I have seen aquatic and slightly ozone with a slight spice in the bottle, visted menthol (ok while not mint it still has that tingle), slightly resinous, floral, a sweet almost fruit :P, then what comes up but a light wood and who knows whats to come. None of the stages are of the heaviest of the catagory but they clearly are defined.

The drydown- This is a hard one to peg because I think the drydown on this is going to take a long time to settle. I am still getting changes with the spicyness coming and going and mixed with either a slight floral or a light resinous scent.

Overall- I think in the end this is almost aquaticy but with a slight tinge of spice. This one is so hard to explain but was so fun to experience. While I don't know if I would wear it I would love to have everyone get a chance to play with it to see what exactly it does on others. Because this one sure made my head spin and was FUN!!!!

MXIV- 1014

In the bottle- Is that cherries? Not cough syrup cherries but bing cherries with some other slight sweet and maybe a wood behind. This is a bit like my CT2 but at the same time very different.

First on- Sweet, Tarty, with a slight touch of maybe spice. The wood like scent is showing up as it sits. Though changing this is not quite the same as the last this one has toned way down, the its getting deep and dark. The sweet is mostly hidden under a layer of light dark woods and something else.

Drydown- For a second I thought this had vanished but no its there slightly exotic and just a hint of sweet. It is very hard to explain except to say it is sexy as hell.

Overall- I am so on the fence about this one. I think it might grow on me but I will have to see. But let me tell you this is one of those naughty CT3's that really gives you no hints in the bottle . None at all.

eta: darn you lil' 1014 why do your woods have to rise up. Why? It has a slight cedar scent. I don't much care for the woods so this one might go to a new home :D

Edited by blood*rose*flowers

Two more bottles of glee!

CMLXX:

This is very medicinal in the bottle, eucalyptus and heavy leather. But on my skin, it's lighter -- still mainly leather, but with hints of skin musk, honey, and incense. This one might take some layering or a little more time to really hit my brain, ya know?

MXXXVI:

HOLY HELL, THIS IS THE SCENT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL OF MY LIFE. Literally, this is my perfect scent. You open up the bottle and it's so sweet you want to step back and put it away, but then, eventually, I plucked up the courage to try it on. Cotton candy + dragonfruit + coconut musk + clover + peach blossom. It's light and sweet and fruity, but it has a complicated depth to it that you know you'll never be able to explore completely. Definitely not a fruity scent for a teenager -- this is holy hella sexy. It works so well with my chemistry, and I thank my lucky stars for it. :P

I've had quite a few of these come my way, but these are the ones in my possession right now.

XCVIII: Now that I have smelled it from the bottle a couple more times I get a spearmint type mint- not sweet mint. It's mixed with woods, herbs, even moss maybe.. It's an earthy mint blend.

Previously reviewed by Rose Moon.

CMIL: Oh my, this is the one I've been waiting for.. it's a sugary-vanilla floral with a sweet, musky drydown. Reminds me of Vera Wang's Princess; DEFINITELY a scent for me!!!

CMXLIII: What are you? You're so familiar... wine? cider? incense? leaves? all rolled into one maybe.. It's one of those scents I cannot place! It's pretty good though; a little sharp in the bottle, but is mild on the skin. It's like drunken Autumn :P

DCLXXII: This one is like a Hellion variation with some spice to it... interesting!

Edited by Shollin

CDLXXX - starts out like fir and ... cherries? something sweet, something piney. morphs into something fruity. ends up as ZOMG, PEACHES. i don't mean this in a good way, or at least not me, b/c i'm not particularly fond of peaches. but they're there, orange and fuzzy and - ok, maybe apricots. i can't tell. fuzzy and sweet. it's still a little piney in the back, but mostly this is sort've like Aizen-Mayoo's collegiate older sister. It morphs REALLY fast and i like the wet stages, but i'm not such a fan on the drydown, so this'll probably get swapped.

MXXXI

First whiff it smells like something fruity but not to citrusy. Richer like pomegrante wine.

On me: This has to be pomegrante or something really similar. It smells like those POM bottles but with a little wine added in. As it dries it only get richer and more fruit. I don't know how beth did it but this is so perfect. I can't believe I only have one bottle of this. :D

:P thanks to beth and the labbies. this blend is going to be hoarded and well loved.

Edited by tindome

Chaos Theory III: CMLXXIV (974)

Another foody...this one is candy-cartoony like Hello Kitty. In the bottle, it smells sweet and strangely familiar. On the skin, it has a fruity candy smell, makes me think of pastel colors. There is some kind of faint plastic or vinyl note in here, oddly enough, unless that's vanilla. And I'm pretty sure there's a floral note but I couldn't tell you what it was (maybe lotus?). As it warms up a creamy vanilla-like smell starts to peep out. After some more fading, a sweet coconut like smell starts to make itself known.

Sounds kind of cloying or powdery but it's really not. It's subtle, sweet, clean and somehow pure-smelling. Makes me think of cartoon characters and fruity erasers.

edit: On second try I think the fruit in this might be something like tamarind or pomegranate. It's more tart than I first thought.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Chaos Theory III: CCCXLVIII (348)

I traded for this with another forum member. She described it as a 'smoky rose'. When I opened it, I thought, "Why does this remind me of going to the hair salon?"

Well, once I put it on my skin, I knew why.

Hairspray. It smells like nothing but hairspray on me. ::sad sigh:: Off to swap.

Previously reviewed by sookster.

Edited by Shollin

I swapped for an imp of CCLXXXIV (284).

It's just delicious! Dark and chocolately, with coffee and some sweetness. It threw nicely and actually has staying power on me too. I'll definitely enjoy this imp!

Previously reviewed by storme.

MLVII (1057)

Whoa, strong hit of leather with some sort of floral in the background, maybe Gardenia. There's also something sweet like sugar cane and a fruity note like plum - and I think that there is some vanilla peeking through. Wow, this is very complex and I love the leather and the fact that my skin is not amping up the floral note. A definite "thumbs up" for this bottle and it's mine :P

eta: The more that I wear this, the more I love it and I loved it just sniffed from the bottle.

Edited by portalkat

Chaos Theory III: CCLXXXV

From a decant swap with Deana

In the imp: spicy perfume-this reminds me of an expensive but well crafted oriental perfume with a hint of cloves and incense.

Wet on skin: still spicy perfume-this smells a lot more perfumey than most BPALs.

Dry on skin: now a hint of something floral-fruity pops out. This is very well crafted-I am reminded of one of my mum's perfumes. I'm at a loss to say what's in here other than flowers, fruits, spices and woods-I think I smell rosewood here, with something that may be orange, maybe some tonka…and then I start to recognise the scent. It now smells a little bit like that Aztec god oil that begins with X, and it reminds me of Angel! Yes! This smells like a cross between Angel, Xiuhlwotsit (let's just call him Mr X for now), and one of my mum's posh musk cologne scents and possibly a hint of clove or a spice note of some kind. This scent just exudes sophistication and class…

After a while: the scent softens and sweetens-there's a tonka or vanilla note adding a pleasant sweetness, but there's also that 'perfumey sharpness' peaking up through the scent. I also get a tropical floral note-maybe plumeria, since this reminds me of Mr X-I don't think there's the copal from that scent though, but there may be orange/orange blossom here. At times I wonder if there may be black amber in here as I get a dark, amber like sweetness which reminds me of other black amber scents, but is different from the lighter, golden amber notes.

Eventually this dries to a perfumed, spicy wood scent, either sandalwood or rosewood with that sharp perfume over the top and a sweet undertone. I think I get some light musk here now.

Verdict: when I wear this, it reminds me of being a kid and spritzing myself with my mum's perfumes for fun, pretending that I am older. Probably the most 'posh designer perfume' BPAL I've smelt, this smells very much like mum's perfume collection…it reminds me of Angel but less gourmand, with some more oriental notes in it, spices and woods. This, to me, is the feminine counterpart to the 'Chaos Theory Pour Homme' bottle I got, I'm sure they share that same, distinctive 'perfumey' note-I can't say what it is though. It's a very sophisticated, classy fragrance, mature, chic and smart, I'm not sure if it's a favourite since it does remind me too much of my mum's perfume, but I like it. I'll keep it around for now.

Emoticon rating: :P

Previously reviewed by edenssixthday.

MXXXI

First whiff it smells like something fruity but not to citrusy. Richer like pomegrante wine.

On me: This has to be pomegrante or something really similar. It smells like those POM bottles but with a little wine added in. As it dries it only get richer and more fruit. I don't know how beth did it but this is so perfect. I can't believe I only have one bottle of this. :D

:P thanks to beth and the labbies. this blend is going to be hoarded within an ounce of its life.

MLXXII

Mine is close in number (somewhat, at least) to the one reviewed above. I was reading through the thread, getting ready to review my new bottle, and came across this one. It sounds like our bottles are sisters. Mine has some serious pomegranate, that same rich, tart note in Freak Show and Persephone. I think there may be a tiny bit of rose in the background, but it's not making this a rose scent at all, just giving it more body. I also have the impression of a light vanilla-y or white musk.

It would be pretty cool to compare these two, because hers sounds so much like mine.

DCLXV

In the bottle: This tough. Very herby, but no distinctive notes. Is that tomato leaf I smell?

On me: Boy this is *hard.* Maybe some mint. It sounds crazy, but I keep thinking food herbs. Oregano?

Oh, well - I like it. :P

Chaos Theory 3: CMXIX (919) – This scent had me really, really stumped. I’m usually pretty good at definitively picking out at least one note in blends, but this one threw me for a loop. I could tell it was soft, wispy, and ethereal, slightly floral, and I had a hunch about another note, but nothing for sure. So I enlisted the noses of three other BPALers, and once they got back to me with their comments, I realized I was right about the note I was hunching about: white tea. Two of the three others also identified pear right away. Now that I know what I’m looking for, I smell the pear, as well, although it’s not quite as sweet and bright as D’Anjou Pear, so I’m really curious if it’s a different type of pear or if the pear has been tempered by the other notes in the blend. The floral note(s) is really light, and one of the reviewers thought maybe it’s Lily of the Valley or Linden, like in The Unicorn. I definitely get a similar feel with this blend as I got from The Unicorn, so she may be right. It also reminds me somewhat of Empyreal Mist. All in all, it’s a very nice scent, quite wispy, and as one of my “borrowed noses” commented: It’s like dusting powder without being powdery. It’s pretty and will make a lovely springtime scent. I don’t think it’s one I’d wear too often because it is so soft, and it does disappear on my skin within an hour. Still, it’s nice and very pretty.

CMLXXXIX - 989

nooooo! sandalwood! the bane of my existance. there is a hint of something sweet underneath it, though. After testing it and holding my arm away from my face long enough for the sandalwood to fade (like 3 hrs! gah!) there is a hint of sweetness, perhaps a sugary vanilla? it's almost the inverse of Monsterbait:Underpants which was all sugar on me with the faintest hint of sandalwood. I don't think i like this one anybetter. If it was a balance in the middle I might be pleased, but sadly it's off to the swaps.

MLXXIII - 1,073

This one reminds me of the Tweedles, it's citrusy and fresh with a bit of sweetness and tang and maybe a hint of floral. On me, all i smell is soap, though that might be becuase i've been handling soap recently. --- after testing again it doesn't smell like soap, it's just very very faint orangy, and whatever that hidden floral is must be making it go a bit funky on me. I want to say the floral is gardenia but I'm not sure. It's something light/white.

overall i'm sad that neither is my perfect blend. I'll just have to see if I can swap something better for me.

Chaos Theory 3: DCCCXXI (821) - Both in the vial and when first applied, this is a strong lemon scent. It’s a really unusual lemon – almost like some sort of sweet, fizzy, lemon drink. Underneath it is a subtle scent of what I think is white sandalwood and a soft, light floral. I don’t usually like lemon blends, but this one is absolutely perfect for a sunny late-spring/early-summer day. It’s bright and sunny, but it’s got a nice depth to it, as well. After an hour or so, the lemon scent is very faint, and the sandalwood shows up stronger than before, and there’s also a light, sweet grassy note that I can smell at this point. For a reference point, this blend reminds me somewhat of Shadow and Polyhymnia. The throw is light and the staying power is about average. I’m so glad my friend shared her bottle of this with me!

Edited by edenssixthday

I purchased two bottles.

CT III: CMXLVII (974)

I smell... something faintly mossy/lichen-like at the base; a creamy, near-vanilla note that I suspect is tonka, a lick of aldehyde, and freshly planed cedar... reminiscent of Tombstone minus the sassafras. Wet, this is strongly cedar-- I lose the earthy, mossy base, lose the creaminess, and have peppery, warm, summer-harvested cedar on my skin for the next ten hours. I occasionally catch the merest flash of the moss, but my skin is amping this cedar so much that nothing else can even get past it. While I enjoy the resonance of this at its fullest drydown, I can't wear it at all. Off to swap-land!

CT III: CMLXXIX (979)

Cool melons and strawberries, a harmonizing floral note I just know but cannot place to save my life. If forced to guess, I'd say, something from the orchid family. This is musky, fruity, slightly akin to lotus but nowhere near the bubblegumminess I usually get from traditional lotus-- this is young, sparkling, beaded with juice, and light. Richly pastel, a hue crossed between salmon and ripe canteloupe, full of the dreams of muskmelon fantasia-- at least, what I imagine muskmelon might smell like. I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist all night I tested this, because this is just, like, whoa, man.

DLXXII (572)

straight sniff from bottle this is sweet and slightly minty/ozone...

once applied this stays sweet but gets somewhat of a bubblegum note...

like that bubblegum we had as kids that had that sort of wintergreen

note...can't recall the name of it but that is just what this is like...

CMLXV (965)

My first Chaos Theory, and I've struck out :P I'm 99% sure this is opium. It reminds me of Laudanum but without the smoke. Heavy and dark, with strong throw. About 2 hours later, a hint of wood - maybe mahogany? - comes out, but it's still dominated by the OPIUM. This would be fascinating on the right person, which is not me. To the swaps...

Edited by shahrazad

CTIII MXXVIII (1028)

Hello fruit! It's a very sweet, raspberryish scent. I can't place what it reminds me of, although it might be raspberry gum of some sort.

I dig it, but it definitely needs a few more tries before I can make a decision, as it's not the kind of scent I'd pick up on my own - I'm definitely a spicy/incensy/musk fan.