Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Closet

Bourbon blackberry buttercream over red velvet cake.

Wow......this I like.....

In Bottle: I get the wonderful smell of bourbon and rich cake.

Wet: I still get the bourbon, but less of the cake and more of the buttercream.

Dry: I get the cake again and less of the bourbon. I also still get some of the buttercream.

I never did get any of the blackberry, and that is disappointing, but I really like this scent.

This is the first of the legendary Monster Baits I've tried, having received a generous sniffie in a swap. :P

In the vial - Simply delicious. Warm, thick blackberry over rich cake notes I recognise from Cockaigne. While I find the Wanderlust blend is very harsh at first and needs time to mellow on the skin, Monster Bait is lavish and soft from the very first sniff.

Wet on the skin - I have cake cravings now, and my mouth is quite literally watering. The blackberry is juicy and ripe and the cake note as rich and luscious as I could ever imagine. There's no hint of the frosting note yet; that may be a good thing as the BPAL milk note sometimes goes rather metallic on my skin.

Dry down - The bourbon, which was faint at first, lends a tang and a kick to the scent as the berry notes start to settle. The cake notes continue to be round and deep, but not overpowering.

Here's hoping the blend makes a return with the next round of monsters to come creeping out of the Lab's closets!

Mmmmmm.......I adore this one! Definitely in the top 5 of my foodie collection!

Where the blackberry in Crumpet Rebellion turned metallic THIS blackberry stays fruity and sweet! I think I'll

alternate it with The Candy Butcher when its that foodie time of the month!

Wet.... buttercream frosted white cake topped with blackberries and soaked in brandy.

Dry....same just more mellow.

Lasts...4-5 hours (on me....which is considering I have to wash my hands/wrists several times per hour at my job)

Throw....moderate.

My co-worker I've enabled kept grabbing my wrist to sniff! A definite winner!!

I can faintly detect the blackberry but once it's on my skin it's all cake and blackberry, with a strong side of buttercream. My favorite part about this is the way that Beth captured the buttercream scent. I love that so much that everytime I smell this scent it makes me crave a bowl of frosting.

Lovely!

Got this as a frimp in a swap with catsoap, who totally rocks my world! Hooray for getting to try a year-old LE as a n00b!

Totally tried this on impulse, as my instinct was to hoard it. I didn't read the Lab's description before trying it or writing the first draft of this review, so I had absolutely no preconceptions.

In the imp: Vanilla? Sweet and buttery? This will be a foody one.

On my skin: Whoa foody, but in a good way! I love smelling like a bakery- it tends to work with a chubby chick like me. What is this? Butter all over the place, super-duper-creamy, sugar, vanilla, maybe a hint of cinnamon? Very much like Van Van without the lemon. I have to say it's slightly cloying, but that's more because I haven't eaten today, have a headache, and am starving. Now I want to eat myself.

Drydown (after reading description): Huh? Where's the blackberry and booze? It's still all creamy sugar with a healthy helping of butter. Still going pretty strong after four hours. Terrific throw, and the Men Of The House say it's one of their favourites so far.

4.5/5 I wish I wasn't too late to get a bottle of this. The imp will be loved deeply but sparingly. :P

Before I tried BPAL I never would have believed that I was a foodie-scent kinda girl. No, I was all about the woods, incense, and spices. Well I’ve changed.

I love the majority of the MB series. This one is no exception – it’s one of my favorites in fact. In the bottle this smells frosting sweet. Edible. I can’t get beyond that impression to discern any notes, just yum!

On the skin, wow, this smells so good. This smells like blackberry, cake and frosting. Delicious! It is very sweet but I’m ok with that. I don’t get any bourbon but I don’t care. The berries, cake and creamy frosting are enough for me. This is just mouth watering good.

In the bottle: OH SQUEEEE It's strawberry pancakes with whipped cream!!!! (this MIGHT be slightly influenced by the fact that I was in a Village Inn at the time, admittedly)

As it warmed up it kept a bit of sweet red berry goodness, but got warmer and spicier, and lots creamier.

I'll have to try it again to be more specific, but I <3 it in the bottle!!

VERY MUCH Blackberries and cream! I am picturing warm, blackberry-filled crepes... Crepes instead of cake, I guess? :P

Soft and not overwhelmingly sweet, but not a hide-in-the-closet sweet! (Ok sorry excuse the bad pun there, I couldn't resist!!).

This is, pure and simple, red velvet cake. I'm so impressed that Beth can do such a thing. Seriously. My mind is all kinds of boggly.

In vial and wet: Raspberry ice cream!

Dry: Gooey, buttery, sinful raspberry jam cookies. This stays nice and red and berry-like from wet to dry on me. It's a bit reminiscent of Eat Me, but with a somewhat softer and cozier sweetness.

This is YUMMIE! :P

It reminds me a lot of Beaver Moon '05. I smell delectable vanilla buttercream frosting. I can't pick out berries at all (I have only touched on a dab), perhaps if I slather I'll get berries....

For now, since it reminds me so much of delish BM '05, I'm going to be stingy with my decant (until I can get some more - maybe then I'll pour it on)!

4.7 out of 5

i have waited oh, so patiently to get my hot little hands on any amount of this, and the fine miss ladybug and i were able to work out a trade. hallelujia!

in the imp: delicious buttery, sugary goodness. :)

wet on skin: WOW! i'm getting notes of white cake, a tinge of the blackberry, and LOADS of that afore-mentioned buttery, sugary goodness.

dry down: it reminds me of warm scones with clotted cream and berry jam. i am SOOOO in love!

in all: i will love this imp with all my heart, and then i will have to hunt down some more- immediately.

:P :D :D

In the imp, this smells of a velvety red cake complete with cream cheese frosting and a hint of booze.

The second this hit my skin, it turned into an overwhelming scent of a rich vanilla-y frosting - creamy and sweet - with just the faintest after note of liquory goodness. As it dries down, it smells much more of cake, less sweet, and less creamy. The smell reminds me of a bakery. :P

This is simply delicious! The buttercream and blackberry really come out in this one. It smells almost like berry flavoured frosting. I don't really get much cake in it, but I think that's a good thing. Absolutely divine. This and Perilous Parlour are definitely tied for my number #1 BPAL scent.

Wee! My first review from the Monster Bait series...

In the bottle: Smells like booze and creme. Not getting cake or berry yet, but we shall see.

Wet: Definitely booze. Now I'm getting sweet cream cheese?

5: Ooh, it's getting springy. There's something tart coming up. Could that be the red berries? I hope, I hope.

30: Ah, things are finally balancing out, and I can detect different notes with each whiff. Alas, still not getting much of those red berries I love so much, but I am getting a really yummy blend of baked goody sweetness, with the passing boozey whiff.

Not a lot of throw, but it seems like an intimate, self-indulgent sort of scent. It's the first time I've ever wanted to gnaw on my own wrist... :P (why does that feel like such an exciting moment?!)

I'll keep trying it out to see if I get more berry at some point.

Bottle: A hint of bourbon and cake, but mostly blackberries.

Wet: Mostly this is the blackberry smell from the bath and body works blackberry line, with a hint of something underneath.

Drydown: I still don't get enough of something other than blackberries to really excite me. I keep trying this one, but I think I'm going to sell/swap.

Red velvet cake. Dries down a bit off (like spoilt milk) on me, but stays true and delicious in my scent locket.

This is the first scent I tried out of the set that lovely lovely lady dpoulsen21 sent me for co-winning the Tell Me Something Amazing contest. (That might not be the actual name, but.)

I have to tell you, I felt a lot of trepidation about trying this and the rest of the things in the package out, because, well... they're RARE. And obviously, since they're RARE, I'm going to LOOOOOOVE them, and what if I can't get them again after I've used up my decant...

Closet has shown me the flaw in this.

I... I don't like Closet. it just doesn't work for me. It starts out smelling like, I kid you not, cat litter to this nose. On my skin, it starts smelling like Eat Me + cinnamon + cat litter. I really, really don't dig this at all. It's just getting sweeter and sweeter, too. Sweet cat litter. Nooooooo thanks.

On the flip side, my husband LOVES this and says it smells excellent on me. He's really passionate about his like of this, which is weird for him, so I have to assume he really means it. He says it smells delicious, like cinnamon and spice and vanilla and cookies and cake. It "reminds him of something." Maybe I'll hang on to this partial decant just in case, y'know, he needs to be convinced that BPAL's the right way to go in the future. :P

I wish this didn't smell so much like cat litter to me, because I quite like the non-cat litter scents in this.

A little too sweet for me, but a beautiful blend regardless. Vanilla cake with fruit! Something like blackberries or cherries, it's all so sweet it blends into one unique fragrance.

I smell bourbon. And lots of it. I also smell buttercream and the funky red dye of the red velvet cake!!!! Oh so strange. Glad I got this in imp form. I love to eat red velvet cake but Lord knows I don't want to smell like it. :P

Ooooh, I like this.

Wet, it smells like red velvet cake thats just out of the oven and smothered in buttercream frosting. Homemade buttacream frosting. And maybe some fruit?

Dry, it's red velvet cake, with the scent of some kind of fruity cake hiding in the background. Yum!

Guh. I think I might love this. It's red velvet cake and berries (it smells more like strawberries than blackberries on me) and just a wee touch of frosting.

Nyom nom nom nom.

*peers at months-old notes*

So, when I first tested this, my scrawlings were:

"Develops nicely on my skin in very tasty ways. Blackberry cake with heavy, sugary frosting smeared all over it. Gmmgm."

Usually I am not into foody-bakery scents, preferring to avoid anything that literally smells like an identifiable food. But, this one's doable for me. And not just doable: really good. I think it's the blackberry... I am a sucker for drupes. Wish I had more than a sniffie! :P