Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Underbed

Cassia-caked cocoa coconut over angel food cake.

In the imp: I smell sweet coconut and something that smells like burning plastic. I almost didn't try this one on my skin at all. I've had it for several months now and finally have the guts to try it. I don't like the smell of burning plastic.

Wet on my skin: Yay! There's no trace of burning plastic, or non-burning plastic, even. I'm getting mostly cassia, and it's lovely. Very spicy in a baked-goods way, with sweet coconut and dry cocoa powder in the background.

Drydown: This is a very foody but not chocolatey scent. It reminds me of spicy coconut cookies I had at a coffee shop long ago and far away. They were delicious, and so is this fragrance. I'm very glad that the cassia is taking over, because otherwise I think this scent would be way too sweet for me. As it is, everything is staying nicely balanced. Thanks, cassia! :P

Overall: I like this much more than I expected. There's not a whole lot of throw here, but that's ok with me. I have to put my nose about 4 inches away from my skin to get a scent. It is very foody, so it won't be an everyday scent for me, but I do think I'll wear it again in the future. It's a comforting bakery scent that stays interesting because of the spice. It also made me realize how much I like cassia. Edited by Shollin

Blessedly, this was the same in the bottle, wet, and dry on my skin. Perhaps a bit more intense in the bottle, but none the less, no chameleon activity.

This scent is the experience of sitting around a kitchen table on a mild autumn evening with a group of giggling friends, eating vanilla ice cream and oreo cookies and molasses cookies, all in a mad sugar rush with something sinister going on in the background.

That's what this smells like to me. Ice cream, cookies, and PURE EVIL.

The evil part is underneath. Just this little bit of darkness, mischief, something awry. Perhaps there is a cunning demon beneath the table where the gigglers sit. Just about to gently scratch a long charcoal-encrusted claw across the ankles of the ice cream-faced bevy.

Mmm. I might get a bottle of this. Oh wait. It's not available. FRELLLL!!!!

Edited by Carmencita

My first of the Monsterbaits! When first applied I get the same dry pencil-shaving/cocoa mix I get from Velvet, but with an even drier cocoa. But wait 15-20 minutes and great mother of all things bakery-sweet! :D This little monster comes out from under the bed and sits right on your neck to snuggle up and purr next to it! This is absolutely delicious and wherever I go I can hear people saying to each other 'something smells GOOOOD!!'. I just smile cat-like and sniff my intoxicating-scented wrists again. :P

In the bottle: Mmm.. sweet foody goodness.

Wet: :P sweetness, where did you go? I'm left with graham crackers. Yep, no joke, plain ol graham crackers. No yummy frosting, no cocoa, nothing. Although in the background, just the faintest touch of coconut and cassia.

Dry: smelling more bready by the minute. I don't hate it... if you LOVE bread, this scent is for you. Definitely foody. But definitely not worth the hype around it. *doh* should I have said that?

Lucky for all, it shall be up on my next sales.

Verdict: 3/5

OK, I know there's no bannana in this but....on me it's BANNANA BREAD with SPICES! I love this scent so much, and have gotten amazing compliments on it "What is that smell.....oh, did you bring in some bannana bread?..hmmmmm...".

This last at least 12 hours on me, and has great throw!

Wow. This is some seriously strong stuff. I put a tiny dot of oil on the top of my wrist and, two hours later, I continue to get wafts of this delicious stuff. Not a slathering-type oil . . .

When I first put it on, the cassia/cinnamon note was the strongest, almost too much, overpowering the other notes. Over time (and it doesn't take very long), it mellows, and the angel food cake comes up. Yum. A little bit of cocoa, maybe some vanilla - it's creamy. If I try, I get cinnamon in the background - cinnamon graham crackers. I wish I got more of the cassia, but I think, if nothing else, it's keeping the oil from being too sweet.

I'm in love, and so glad I found a bottle of this. :P

Chocolate, coconut, and a bit of something else slighty sweet and spicy (the angelfood cake and cassia?). This scent never really changes on me. It's not OMGLOVE, but it is pretty nice. It made me crave brownies, though. It's a scent I would definitely wear again, especially as a comfort scent.

This is a really cute scent! It starts out cocoa with cassia. Alas, the cocoa fades quickly as it always done on my skin (sad!). The cassia tones down, coconut joins in, and there is a hint of sweetness from the angel food cake. I'm not big on cake scents, but angel food is nice, neither overly sweet nor buttery. This is up there with Tokyo Stomp as my favourite Monsterbaits. :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Upon sniffing the oil in the bottle, I can smell each individual note but as with MB: Closet where the black berry took over. The cassis took over with this scent and continued to be strong and sharp.

::since added cassis/cinnamon to the blackberry does not like my skin list:::

To me this smells like Licorice Allsorts especially the pink round ones which always taste a bit like coconut to me and which are my favourites O_O Spicy Licorice Allsorts which the spice coming (I presume) from the cassia. I've never smelled cassia before and it's really a nice scent, but it's also turning my skin a little red. Normally my skin never reacts to anything, so I'm surprised.

I'm really unsure about this! I got this as a very generous frimp, but now I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm usually not such a fan of foody scents and while I don't mind it, I don't think I should keep the imp as I'm sure other people might be more happy with it.

Edited by porcelain

Ohhh, yum! This is chocolate grated over coconut-topped cake, yummy and warm! It smells just delicious, and is making me seriously hungry!

On, it gets more cake-y. It smells like macaroons, actually. God, it's wonderful! The cassia is a spicy, dry note not unlike the smell of dry cinnamon sticks, yet without that candylike sweetness.

It wears down to a much more spicy finish, some of the cake smell wears away and it becomes a yummy sort of bakery smell with chocolate, cookies, cakes, and pastries all rolled up in one. Utterly delectable. I am now ravenous. Thanks.

This is extremely foody, extremely sweet, and extremely delicious. It's a good thing it was a limited edition and my supply of it is finite, because I have a hunch just wearing this could make me fat!

In imp: Butter and some coconut.

Wet: Hello, cassia. The overall impression I get here is sweet, buttery cinnamon toast.

Drydown: The cassia continues as the top note for me for quite a long time. I do pick up on the coconut, and what must be intended as the "angel food cake," but overall -- though, thank goodness, the cassia does tone down just a wee bit -- I get, basically, the most heavenly cinnamon toast you ever had in your life, with gobs of sugar and butter and love. Probably maddening if you're on the Atkins diet, but a really wonderful scent if you like the foody blends.

Sweet and spicy in the imp (a blend of cocoa, coconut and spice).....yummy and foody smelling.

On and drying down this is more and more dry spice without the round sweetness I so loved in the imp. :-(

Dry.....the cocoa comes back a little .....dry this smells a bit like german chocolate cake with a titch too much cinnamon

added. Its okay, but I prefer Closet and Underpants as my Monsterbait foodie goodies! (and The Candy Butcher as my chocolate

craving, PMS soothing scent!)

I smell dry cocoa, cassia, and the barest hint of cake with shreds of coconut. This scent is definitely foody, but there is something about it that is so strangely comforting. It envelops me in a soft, beautiful blanket of dessert scent. I'm normally not a foody sort of scent girl, but this one has won me over bigtime!

(The cassia seems mild and does not irritate my skin unless I apply it straight out of the shower).

Just got to try this one in imp form.

In the imp - spicy goodness, reminds me a little of gingerbread

wet - all cassia, all the the time - leaving little red marks on my arm and chest :P

30 minutes - cassia is actually mostly gone, all I am left with is a vanilla cakey scent, maybe the coconut sweetening it up, not bad, but a little buttery for me.

OK, but not for me....off to swaps!

MB: Underbed smells rich and decadent in the bottle, with the heavy spice of cassia adding mystery. There is something almost alcholic about the intensity of the smell -- not in the perfumer's alcohol way, thin and dry and uninteresting -- but like Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream... a liqueur thick with intoxicating power.

Nevertheless I don't feel like I'm being bowled over when I wear MB: Underbed; I feel wrapped in a cloud of heavenly sweetness. I don't even notice the cocoa or the coconut as distinct notes, though they contribute their dark or sweet notes respectively. On me it all blends to a sumptuous layercake o' goodness, soaked in a slightly caramel-y elixir. Deeelicious.

This smells like the best bakery ever. I’m getting the cassia and can feel it a little too, but I don’t care. This just smells so damn good - decadent and rich. I don’t really get any cake or chocolate. I do smell caramel and coconut through. And it smells damn good. Spice too, the cassia is front and center. It makes me think of a perfect fall time dessert. Of all the foody blends out there, I think this must be one of the most extreme. :P

Edited by cranberry

When I first got my Monster Baits, I had such unending love for Closet, that Underbed kind of got shoved aside and never really worn or reviewed. I got it out again while working my way through my pile of unreviewed imps and now I'm thinking it didn't get nearly as much love as it deserved!

This is really lovely. It's rich and spicy. I'm not getting a whole lot of floury "baked goods" kinds of notes from it. Rather, it smells like cocoa and cinnamon all measured out and ready to go. It's not unlike Mexican cocoa, although the coconut note adds something more to round the whole scent out. I haven't had luck with some of the other BPAL chocolate scents, but this one is just right. It's a keeper.

I got this imp a while ago and tried it, but wasn't that impressed. A few days ago I tried it again and love it. It's like a warm delicious cookie when it's wet. When it dries it's just sooooooo good! It's warm, sweet and kind of musky. I could eat my arms when I have this on! Now I just need to find a bottle of it. :P

in the imp: the cassia is STRONG on this. but not unpleasant. the cocoa is in the background, peeking out just a bit.

wet on skin: the cassia softens, becomes more like a piece of cinnamon-chocolate coffee cake :P

dry down: yep. angel food cake with cocoa dusted on top. right like it says.

in all: if you like warm, spicy, cakey scents, this is a great one!

now, where can i get a 5ml of this???

:D

Bottle: Smells like rich warm cake. Not necessarily coconut. Mmm. Cake. Cake. Cake!

Wet: More cocoa and coconut, but still mostly cake. And burning. The cassia makes me itch and burn a little, but as the oil has aged, it has gotten less icky. Mmmm. Cake.

Drydown: This doesn't really change at all, maybe it gets a little more coconut smell. Still mostly CAKE GLORIOUS CAKE. I love this but have to be careful when wearing it, as it has amazing throw and makes people near me hungry. Also, the itching and burning goes away.

Sniffed in imp: Slightly spicy caramel, coconut and chocolate cake. I imagine the spice is cinnamon, but this is too foody and the sniffie too dry for me to test on my skin,

Out of the bottle this was very nutty. On my skin it is very woody, like the shell of the coconut as opposed to the milk. I can smell a little of the cocoa but the woody note is overtaking it. This scent is definitely not as sweet as I thought it would be. It almost has a "burned" smell to it, like burned wood. Now as it is drying down I am catching a sweeter note, like dark vanilla. Overall, an interesting scent that doesn't really smell like the description (on me at least).

when i sniffed this in the imp, i so hoped it would work on me. it was absolutely mouth-watering: buttery, cakey, coconutty. this may be an obscure reference, but it smelled like one of those raspberry zinger snack cakes – they’re like a twinkie, only they’re dyed bright red and rolled in coconut.

BUT, when i applied it to my wrist, it quickly took on an unpleasant plastic scent. noooo!

it actually reminds me a lot of beaver moon. maybe the beaver will make a comeback someday and i can snag a bottle, since it doesn't turn to plastic on me.

I got a little decant of this from really nice person a few months ago..........it's so nummy........... must....horde.....................