Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Phantom

Myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose and ylang ylang.

Musk and rose with myrrh making it a little powdery, but it is still pretty. Typically the lab's myrrh kills scents for me, but this is nice when wet.

Edit: fades rather quickly and becomes more powdery when it dries...so I'm giving this one away!

Another great discovery!

I was a little bit sceptical, at first...as put in on is a quite strange parfume, a little acrid, some kind wet and resinous...but I'm Knowing day by day bpal oils and never say never with them....you have to wait...something could seem not your cup of tea at first, but I 've understood they open minute by minute, they morph ...so, uhmmm don't like it, at first...but durrng the envol I have discovered another gem of beauty ....in the middle stage is a soft combo of rose and mhyrr, so soft and smooth..the drydown is one of the most wonderfull musk I've tried....I recommend to musk lovers!

A bottle for sure!!

Verdict 5/5

Edited by Elmifra

This is a cloying white floral with a musk background for me. I don't have much experience with ylang ylang, but I think, like lilies, it is a note that doesn't work well for me.

In the vial: Oh, hey, ylang ylang.

On the skin: I get myrrh, but it's not strong enough to overpower the florals. And even the ylang ylang is gone. I'm not getting roses, I'm getting flowery baby powder. Sadness. Swap pile!

In the imp: Upon first uncorking my imp, I got a bit hit of, of all things, toothpaste! Where did that come from??? Especially since it quickly settled down into a dry, heady white floral (although I believe I can also distinguish a bit of rose).

Wet: Sexy, slinky, musky roses, with the myrrh adding a dry, aromatic, incense-y note. A little heavy and traditionally perfumey for me at this stage.

Dry: Huh! Despite my less-than-stellar expectations, the myrrh really comes into its own after about an hour. It adds depth, character, and frisson to what would otherwise be a very lackluster, drugstore-perfume rose. I believe I'm also getting a touch of the dark musk, grounding everything and really rounding it out. If there is any ylang ylang left at this stage, it's blended seamlessly into the rose, so well I can't even detect it.

I'm getting toilet cleaner from the imp. :P
Applied directly to my skin a more fruity/floral note comes out directly. Quite a lovely red rose, with a very strong myhrr and that muskyness very in your face. The ylang ylang is almost sugery. Odd combination, goes a bit plasticy after a little while. Not bad, but not for me. Oh well...

What a lovely scent in the imp! It reminds me of Veil, without the bitter after note. The ylang ylang is what calls out to me first, there is rose....but yet I detect no musk. The unusual thing about this is that, as the name suggests, it disappears on my skin just like a phantom passing through the room. No matter how copiously I apply Phantom it quickly fades as if I had never applied it.

Wet: Sweet, incensey rose. I smell more Myrrh than musk...hmm. Really pretty though. Like, really pretty. I love incense rose blends. This is gorgeous.

Dry: Really beautiful sweet Myrrh and roses. I am so glad I tried this, as I had been trying to hunt down more of a rare LE that smells similar to me - can't wait to test them against each other and see if this is similar enough that I don't need to anymore!

I pulled this from my untested imp stash, since it was pointed out to me that it bears some similar notes to my favorite DC blend, the Temptation.

I was so hopeful...

But my skin completely failed with this one.

It's a very high, shrill scent on me, that goes straight into english bath cube territory on me...which, I *hate* those things.

Yuck. :cry2:

In the bottle, I smell myrrh incense.

On my skin, I get a very blended ylang ylang-rose, musk, and powdery myrrh incense. And beeswax? It seems like there’s a smooth beeswax hiding behind the powder. But the powder has really blanketed everything in this for me.

I want to love this, but it’s just too powdery on my skin.

In the imp: Musky myrrh and ylang ylang accompanied by red rose.

Wet: Dark musk, dark yet powdery myrrh, and sharp ylang ylang stand out to me the most. The red rose is soft and smooth. The ylang ylang has calmed down after a few minutes, and the rose is becoming more prominent.

Dry: This ends up being really lovely after it has been on the skin for a while. It’s a sweet, powdery myrrh, darkened by the musk, and sweetened by the ylang ylang. I thought there might be some honey in this for a minute, and there’s definitely a creaminess to the scent now. I can still smell the rose, but it is not as strong as it was during the wet phase.

Verdict: This is actually really pleasant. I like it more than I thought I would for a musky resin + floral scent (since resins and florals combined are usually not my thing). I do not need a bottle of it, but I think I’ll hang on to the imp and see if I reach for it at all. That said, Sed Non Satiata shares some notes with this one, and I like that scent more.

I tried Phantom with Wanton on the other wrist, to try to get a handle on attar of rose. It is not, I think, a rose that works well on me. Here I get old lady rose and powdery myrrh. On the plus side, the ylang ylang isn't taking over; on the minus side, neither is the black musk. It's much better in drydown when all the notes come into balance, but it is still not a rose I'm excited about wearing.

Phantom starts out very myrrh-heavy on me and then, as it dries down, it gets very powdery. I'm starting to wonder what scent turns to powder on me and I'm starting to think it's rose because I didn't get ANY traces of rose from Phantom. It wasn't an unpleasant scent by any means and I actually grew to like it after 2 hours of wearing it, when it had softened and rounded out a lot more, but the overall powderiness of it was just too frustrating.