Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rosabella

I need more Cherry!

Noooo! Centzon Totochtin is so beautiful and the truest cherry scent I've found so far. Which is extremely weird, since there is no cherry in there. :D Black Phoenix was pure cherry/almond on me when first applied and then dried to weird floral/fruity/spicy scent combo. Complex indeed...

There damn well better not be any cherry in Centzon Totochtin. I'm expecting a bottle of it this week.

If it smells like cherry I will cry. :D

Well, I seem to be the only one on whom Blood smells like cherries. :P But if you don't like it, PM me! :D

I looove cherry almond fragranes (although I have difficulty separating the cherry from the almond--what's up with that?), and I highly reccommend Dana O'Shee, O, and Blood Kiss. I don't see many raves for Blood Kiss, but I do love it most sincerely. It has a heavy patchouli top note but dries down to pure cherry love.

I also love blending O and Dana O'Shee for a scent that is a dead ringer for POTL. Only POTL costs about, oh, 125.00 a bottle. Gotta love that BPAL.

I recently sniffed the original formula Jergen's Lotion and it was so nostalgic for me. So I did a search for scent descriptions containing both cherry and almond at BPAL but none were found. Is there an oil that smells like cherry & almond even if those aren't the ingredients? One with no resin/incense notes?

Black Phoenix and Bastet both started off as VERY cherry/almond on me... Bastet is definitely the lighter of the two, but as others have mentioned, the BP went very smoky/incensey (and then on me went straight to baby powder).

I would recommend you giving Hellcat a shot. The second imp of it I tried has that so-almond-it's-cherry note. Hellcat is a very buttery and sweet scent, no incensey stuff that I can detect.

ETA: Ironically I got my swap of Hearth in today, and it is a lovely cherry smell with a hint of chocolate and some other good stuff in it. Yum!

Edited by Fyre_in_Winter

I just tried layering Dana O'shee with Kabuki, and the result if very pleasant. If Black Phoenix is too resiny for you this one might work.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but The Red Queen was ALL cherries and almonds on me.

Cherry and almonds, that sounds yummy! I would love to try something that smelt like that!

Most of the cherries in Beth's are amaretto style, imo.

fyi, I'm not a fan of cherry scents/candy generally either. Anything that smells like cough syrup isn't actually from cherry.

Beth uses essential oils, and cough syrup is very artificial based and filled with alcohol.

All cherry oils smell like almond to me, which I can't stand, so I haven't been able to handle more than a sniff of anything that contains cherry...it's not so much that it smells like cough syrup, it just smells like almond. :P

But if you like cherry and would like something that smells kinda like cherry but doesn't have that woozy sickening cough syrup feeling, you might like some blends that contain heliotrope. It's a flower that smells surprisingly like cherry but doesn't turn into an almond or candy scent.

on the heliotrope front, I think heliotrope smells exactly like really strong vanilla. So...your nose will vary!

But you seriously don't need to worry about cough syrup. Or if you are, check the reviews for the particular scent.

Jailbait went cough syrup/cherry Strepsils on me...

Hollywood Babylon has a very nice cherry note, along with heliotrope and red musk, vanilla and strawberry.

Heliotrope smells like either cherry dessert (like Carnivale) or soft golden vanilla (Eclipse) on me.

Try Carnivale if you can get a decant from someone-it has a bittersweet black cherry like scent from the berries and heliotrope. It smells like real cherry sauce to me, but may be too candy for your liking?

Hollywood Babylon is the only cherry oil I can stand...I actually really like it too.

I hate cherry with a passion, so that surprised me :P

hey thanks for recommendations ... i had heard the "turns to cherry cough syrup thing" in some reviews and got freaked out. i just have a frightening aversion to cough syrup : ) but black cherry sounds pretty niiiice.

when i was a kid i got some "slime" from a vending machine and when it got all gross i added some almond oil to it from my mom's baking drawer and since then certain almond smells make me woozy as well.

BUT i DO keep in mind that cherry and almond in BPAL are not cough syrup & dirty almond oil slime scent. : )

Sorry, but I have to disagree with people. I know the essential isn't supposed to smell like cough syrup... but The Red Queen (the one and only cherry bpal I've tried) smelled like Robitussin on me. I can't vouch for the others, but I'm convinced that I just associate cherry as a fragrance too strongly with medicine for it to work for me. :P

I have to agree with Kakiphony, some of the cherry blends do turn medicinal-like Red Queen, which hated me too! Some cherries scents that don't are Hollywood Babylon (a really good rec), and also Tamora, which is a sweet, vanilla cherry (via heliotrope) with a hint of peach.

Kabuki also has a nice cherry in it, but some people don't like the anise note.

And of course, it always comes down to chemistry, doesn't it! :P

Horn of Plenty turned into cough syrup on me and just got stronger as the day wore on :P

However, Jailbait was quite nice on me...bubblegummy, but then it dried down to a lovely floral with just a hint of cherry in the background.

I've been having problems with the cherry scents, too. Which is a bummer, because I LOVE cherries. :P Red Queen went all Vicks on me, and Vice was all chocolate covered cherries, which I couldn't stand. That's my own little quirk though, I can't stand chocolate covered cherries, so it was nothing to do with the oil. Oh well, maybe I'll give Hollywood Babylon a whirl.

Alright now, after getting an imp of Ace of Cups I'm DYING for more cherry scents. I have Queen of Hearts and Red Queen, both of which I love dearly, and also Jailbait, which I don't love at all.

Are there any recommendations for some more very cherry scents? Ace of Cups smells to me just like home-made cherry lollipops. I like the sickeningly sweet stuff. Also, anything ridiculously almond would be good too, as my nose can't tell the difference between cherry and almond without a real struggle.

Baron Samedi is solid almond, iirc from others. I seem to recall the Hecate was pegged as an almondy one, as well. I highly recommend downloading Nattie's bpal Excel file and searching for the notes you're looking for!

I've been through the spreadsheet a few times, but I miss a lot of things in it, I guess. Hollywood Babylon and Blood Kiss are definitely on my wishlist. Hecate is on the way through a trade.

I've never heard of Horn of Plenty or Baron Samedi before, though, so I'll definitely look at those!