Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Yes, me too!

Forgive me, forgive me, I forgot about Elegba - which I love, but doesn't tend to come out all that coconutty on me. I also think I should retry Rigorous Love - it came out 100% lemon in all previous tests (it was the most promising sounding of all the Shungas when I first read them, but alas it was not to be) because I can't NOT love a coconut blend.

As for Roses, earls and Diamonds, as well as Blood and Black Pearl, I have them on my imps-to-buy list, so hopefully I'll be able to fall in love with them soon. :D

Thank you everyone! <3 <3

Yes, me too!

Forgive me, forgive me, I forgot about Elegba - which I love, but doesn't tend to come out all that coconutty on me. I also think I should retry Rigorous Love - it came out 100% lemon in all previous tests (it was the most promising sounding of all the Shungas when I first read them, but alas it was not to be) because I can't NOT love a coconut blend.

As for Roses, earls and Diamonds, as well as Blood and Black Pearl, I have them on my imps-to-buy list, so hopefully I'll be able to fall in love with them soon. :D

Thank you everyone! <3 <3

Many top-heavy citrusy scents become less so as they age, in my experience, so letting Rigorous Love sit around a while and retest it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've had allergies all my life and while thanfully I've grown out most scents triggering asthma, there are some that I am very wary of, and to many encounters with department store bathroom coconut air fresheners has programmed me with a :sick: :ack::uhuhuh::run:response to the thought of coconut. there have been a number of scents out there that I look at and think "that sounds lovely but........" I keep hoping maybe the lap will frimp me a few and I can see if they Beth's genius can do with coconut what is has for me with rose and lily of the valley (both of which have made me ill in non bpal formats.)

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I'm looking for BPALs with a toasted coconut note. Regular coconut is really meh on my skin and tends to either turn to plastic or die a quick death on my skin, but I recently tried an imp of Blood Pearl that I was gifted, and the toasty, husky coconut in that one is TO DIE FOR. That is, the occasional whiffs I get of it underneath the smother-y orris that kills all the things (I amp orris in a major way). So while that particular blend is not for me, I must have more toasted coconut!

If I could find that note again--hopefully without booze, frankincense, or honey, my top three notes of doom and despair--I would be in heaven :wub2: Halp?

I've tried Elegba, which was okay, but not very coconut to my nose, and Harigata II scares me with the anise note--me no likey. BUT, Paper Kite sounds fantastic, and right up my alley--I love pepper, and the combo sounds so intriguing. Onto the wishlist it goes.

And I'm waiting..very impatiently...for my decant of So Below. I hope it's as awesome on me as reviews lead me to believe, because if it is, I will buy eleventy-billion bottles :D

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Alainn

My favorite coconut scent is brown Jenkin, hands down. I like that it is indeed a woody coconut husk scent that doesn't get too sweet (my biggest fear with coconut).

The best coconut I've had so far is from BPTP it's Shortbread Snowflakes bath oil (I wear it as perfume). The notes are Coconut-sweetened shortbread laced with royal icing :wub2:

My favorite coconut scent is brown Jenkin, hands down. I like that it is indeed a woody coconut husk scent that doesn't get too sweet (my biggest fear with coconut).

Brown Jenkin for the win!!!

I should mention - when I mentioned aged Elegba, I have a 10ml Blue cobalt bottle from 2006...it's 8 years old and DIVINE. It's all creamy sugared coconut - the booziness is toned WAY down, and almost in the background at this point. I've gotten so many compliments on it when I wear it, and it's AWESOME for layering if you want to add a little coconut to another blend.

If you have an imp, or bottle, seriously just put it away for a LONG time...it'll become incredible, I promise!

Alainn - if you're looking for a toasted coconutty scent vs the creamy vanilla/coconut one, I'd look for blends containing Black Coconut. Those seem to be the more "nutty" coconut blends to my nose rather than the sun tan lotion types. some good recommendations would be:

Death Adder: Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax. Totally a bonus if you love Snake Oil too! Although it is an LE, the Carnival should be coming back *soon*

Goblin: Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin - GC item in Diabolus

The two that jump right out at me the most are Obatala because it is nice if you want a sweet almost fleshy coconut and Brown Jenkin if you want something like a deep roasted coconut husk and it is divine in the cooler months.

A friend of mine really loves Black Pearl but she barely detects coconut and she claims it smells like sexy showered skin after 5 hours. My Mom also enjoys Black Pearl a lot and she gets more coconut and hazelnut and she describes it as smelling like a dessert.

Edited by Haltija

I don't usually do coconut scents very well, but I found that the "coconut bark" note in Loi Krathong went really pretty on my skin. It's like a dry, black coconut husk scent, and slightly in the background of the scent, so it doesn't overtake the entire blend.

Obatala went to plastic on me!

:smile:

I'm thinking of doing a coconut imp pack for my little sister (whom I sometimes call 'coconut princess'). Which 6 GC scents would best show the diversity of coconut? I want at least one everyday type scent and one that's a bit more evening wear. Ideas?

I'm thinking of doing a coconut imp pack for my little sister (whom I sometimes call 'coconut princess'). Which 6 GC scents would best show the diversity of coconut? I want at least one everyday type scent and one that's a bit more evening wear. Ideas?

Goblin

Black Pearl

Eden

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds

Obatala

(and I'd pick either Shoggoth or Brown Jenkin for the last one, but if those don't sound good to you, there are also Elegba, Shango, and Blood Pearl to consider)

I think people may have their own ideas about what constitutes "everyday" and "evening wear," but I think either Black Pearl or Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds might fit the bill.

*EDITED* because I remembered a couple more scents

Edited by neptuneanblues

Those are good suggestions. I never actually realized how few coconut scents there really are in the GC. Is Lamia a very coconut scent?

I didn't find lamia to be that coconutty.

So below is an amazing coconut scent. You might be able to score a decant in the sales/swaps forums.

Elegba is good. I love blood pearl.

Shoggoth has coconut listed. It's a strange but brilliant scent. One of my first bottle buys.

Edited by annemathematics

Coconut all the things! I think I've tried all the gc coconuts. I would like to start checking out some coconutty le's now. obatala tends to go funky on me. My best coconuts have been brown jenkin blood pearl and goblin. Eden is probably the worst coconut. Based on that what le's should I look into?

Coconut all the things! I think I've tried all the gc coconuts. I would like to start checking out some coconutty le's now. obatala tends to go funky on me. My best coconuts have been brown jenkin blood pearl and goblin. Eden is probably the worst coconut. Based on that what le's should I look into?

Hmm, maybe Death Adder (Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax) and So Below (Amber and black copal with black coconut, Sumatran red patchouli, green cardamom pod, and golden musk)? Both of them have a bit of an incense-y, darker coconut similar to how Blood Pearl has musk, BJ has powdery orris, Goblin has patch...

Maybe Red Lantern as well (Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice), though it's pretty coveted. It's quite sweet and may be overwhelming depending on your tolerance and skin chemistry, but if it works it's a delicious caramel coconut incense sort of blend.

Edited by Balame

obatala: coconut with aquatic notes and creamy cocoa butter. smells very spa-like and comforting. great for bedtime!

white rose: creamy rose, coconut, teensy bit of incense and tea. it's more sweet, fatty coconut dominant than rose. quite rich smelling without being suffocating.

tiki king: bold, bracing woods paired with the gentlest lemon and a slightly charred smelling coconut. an odd mix, but it's seriously so good. worth tracking down.

goblin: similar charred coconut note to tiki king with super dirty smelling patchouli tempered by sweet benzoin. it smells like a smoldering coconut shell sitting on sun warmed soil. love it. try it layered with how doth the little crocodile if you like chocolate.

black pearl: cozy, nuzzly white musk and light coconut. the orris and hazelnut are def there but not obvious. they just lend a slight bit of foodiness and gentle powderiness. this is something you can probably wear to work. very versatile and inoffensive.

I didn't realize how many beloved coconut blends I own before I wrote this post :P

Obatala and Brown Jenkin are my fave coconuts. Psychodynamic Discharge looks promising as well (hope the vetiver is restrained!): black leather and red musk with aged black patchouli, Chinese rose, black pepper, coconut meat, Haitian vetiver, and igneous red ginger.