Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ocicat

Give me caramel!

Mitzvah is pretty much straight caramel, but it is admittedly very hard to find.

There are a few caramel/butterscotch scents. In the GC there's:

Bien Loin D'ici Ars Amatoria red musk, benzoin, caramel accord, golden honey, and spiced Moroccan unguents.

The red musk makes it a bit incense-like but the sweetness really shines through in this one.

Gluttony Sin and Salvation Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Indulgent and foody. This is one of the classics among foody lovers on the forums.

Grog Bewitching Brews This be the scent of pirate rum!

It's a buttered rum. A lot of people get straight up butterscotch from it.

Drink Me Mad Tea Party However, this bottle was not marked 'poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

This one is pretty chemistry dependent, but a lot of people get a straight up butterscotch out of it.

Hellcat Diabolus hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

A bit of a nutty caramel/creamy scent.

There are several LEs with caramel.

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht Carnival Diabolique Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

The easiest caramel LE to find.

Red Lantern Lupercalie Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice.

I see bottles of it floating around every once in awhile. This one is POTENT. Serious caramel/coconut mixed with the rest of the scents.

The Lab has only released two scents so far that have butterscotch listed as a note - Creepy, a Halloween LE from a few years ago (description: butterscotch-kissed, caramel-smothered red apples spiked with a blast of coconut rum) and Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy (notes: apricot, dry woods, patchouli, caramel, brown sugar, hazelnut, and butterscotch).

There may be some other scents that people find butterscotchy, though (and the Lab doesn't always list every single note in each blend), so I am sure that you will get some suggestions about any of those that BPAL fans have stumbled upon. I would recommend Sticky Pillowcase, from the currently available Halloween LEs - that candy corn note is very butterscotchy to my nose.

And if caramel smells similar to butterscotch to you, you will probably have good luck finding a few things that will make you happy. There is a thread about caramel scents here that you will probably find helpful.

Paperrose's suggestions are wonderful. I definitely second Grog for butterscotch—I hate booze and was expecting to hate this, but it's pure butterscotch on me: yellow-golden, sweet, cheerful, and rather wonderful. Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht would be my choice for caramel: rich, dark, sticky, not overly sweet. (The apple blossom may make it feel caramel-apple; on me, though, it's mostly a perfumey/floral component.

You may also want to consider Enraged Groundhog Musk: Cranky groundhog musk sweetened up by chocolate-covered black cherries, cardamom, French vanilla, and caramel. It's an LE, but cheap and easy to get. If the cardamom works on you, it may be a good dried cherry, chocolate, and caramel blend, rich, foody, and highly textured.

Incubus has that warm sexy caramel/butterscotch smell that only gets better as it warms up on your skin - my boyfriend is in major love with this one and he adores butterscotch:

Spectral white musk and the heart-stopping chill of sheared mint, fanned by caramel-touched body heat, and the diabolical sensuality of black musk, nicotiana, and sage.

(note: I, nor he, get any type of mint *at all* from this)

Good Luck!

Creepy is straight-up butterscotch. It's also really really hard to get a hold of. : -)

To me, Leo has always smelled of butterscotch with buttercream frosting. Too bad it's a LE. It's gorgeously scented.

Also, I have not tried it but every single review of The Salon's Arrival At The Sabbath and Homage To The Devil, it seems to smell of caramel. I know that butterscotch and caramel are different but you might like it too.

Might seem an odd one, but the current LE Sugar Cookie smells very butterscotch to me. I thought it was just me, but a few people said the same when I wore it today, so might be worth trying if that's what you're after - it's delicious.

So, much to my own surprise, I fell flat in love with The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil and its caramel richness. I didn't think I was a foody lover. Now I've used up my imp and I'm about to get a bottle. However, I wonder if I actually want more caramel than just that. Could anyone help me with a direct comparison of some currently available caramel scents? I'm particularly tempted by the ones listed below, but I'd be happy to consider other possibilities if I missed something.

• The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil: Bourbon vanilla, benzoin, caramel, Mysore sandalwood, aged black patchouli, carnation, and iris florentina.
  • Tiresias, the Androgyne: Dark, moody, and bittersweet: black currant, patchouli, tobacco, cinnamon leaf, caramel, muguet, and red sandalwood.
  • Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht: Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.
How similar are these going to be? Different enough to demand more than one? I'm nervous of the apple notes -- I don't really want to think about caramel apples when I smell it. I did love Poisoned Apple when I tried that, though.

On me, Arrival is very prominently caramel, but the sandalwood and iris are both detectable -- I'm pretty sure everything is there, in fact, but it swirls me around so much I really only notice the obvious.

(And now we see how the BPAL multiplies -- from one caramel to another to another... and on into my NEXT note exploration. :lol:)

Edited by tacey

I haven't tried any of those, so I can't say for certain.

You might also try Gluttony, which includes caramel, and has the bonus factor of being an easily impable GC. On me it was very treacle-ish, rich and very sweet, with both caramel and chocolate overtones.

I tried Tiresias and it smelled like...Indian Curry. So for me , fail.

I like the caramel in Now Winter's Night's Enlarge. It's...actually, thinking about it, I want to put it on :lol: I like the spiciness that accompanies it!

I thought the caramel note in Tiresias is very similar to the one in Now Winter Nights Enlarge - delicious!! The apple note killed Agrat-Bat-Mahlat for me, however, and I didn't like it at all (the caramel also seems much lighter, not the dark brown sugar kind that I love in Tiresias, NWNE, Red Lantern or Bad Luck Woman Blues). Incubus also has a great caramel note. I saw it mentioned already, and second that!

Waking this thread back from the dead. :yum:

Are there any caramel scents from the GC and are easy to acquire? I've already tried Grog (plywood + faint butterscotch/caramel on me) and am curious as to what other strong caramel scents are out there I can try as imps. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by elinox