Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Pele

... This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

Anyway...! Pele ends up being dewy white flowers and sweet ginger. It's actually putting me vaguely in mind of a lighter, paler alternative to Xiuhtecuhtli if that one's smokiness just isn't your thing. Xiuhtecuhtli is big, bold scarlet and orange and purple tropical flowers with smoke wafting over them; Pele's flowers are still big and lush, but dewy and white, and the ginger is a subtler and sweeter spiciness, becoming more prominent as it dries down. It's really nice.

This is exactly EXACTLY exactly how I would compare Pele & Xiuhtecuhtli!!

As for my review of Pele: To me this is a dead ringer for Jessica McClintock with much less throw. That's a very good thing - I have 10 ml on the way from the lab!

In the vial: soft white floral. I am very surprised b/c I've always thought of Pele as the Hawaiian Goddess of Fire.

Wet: Gardenias

Dry: Gardenia and white musk. This scent must represent the gentler side of the Goddess. I was expecting something spicy, strong and fire-y. This scent is a lovely surprise though. Perhaps the Goddess in repose.

Pele-

In Bottle: How odd! I can smell almost nothing.

Wet: Very faint floral scent. Getting a little stronger, perhaps?

Dry: Interesting. This is one of those hot ozone-y floral scents on my skin; it's very faint and non-cloying and I like that. It's not likely to be a frequent flyer though.

Overall: Nice, will try again, not a huge hit with me though.

Pele

In the imp: a pretty, but ever so light, lily of the valley with something green.

Wet on skin: green, sharp flowers. There’s an odd chalky/waxy tone here.

Dry: hmm, interesting. The words that come to mind are ‘fizzy flowers’. It’s a lightly floral scent but there’s a background of something effervescent, tart, reminiscent of the slightly sharp taste that sparkling water has, and the odd ‘wet plaster’ note I got from Chiroptera. It’s not as rich and powerful as I expected for a tropical floral, but eventually after application the scent is beginning to bloom and under the strange fizzy scent I can smell richer blooms coming through.

After a while: the heady florals I was hoping for never fully appear, there’s still that scent that, at this point, reminds me of fizzy aspirin. There’s something to it that reminds me of a pill fizzing in a glass of water. And wet plaster and cardboard. The muguet note is still there, but I can’t get over the aspirin/Alka Seltzer associations.

Eventually this develops a scent which reminds me of a component of Midnight on the Midway, but I much prefer MotM to this. There’s that waxy petal scent to it that I’m not keen on in here.

Verdict: this was a little bit of a let down. I was hoping for a wonderful bouquet of tropical flowers, but instead I get a very watered down white waxy flower scent with a disturbing undercurrent of fizzy hangover pills, tonic water, wet plaster and damp paper. It’s very thin on my skin, it doesn’t seem to have depth or character, which is very un-Pele-like, I think. Shame because this had potential, but my skin decided to ruin it. Swap.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Probably not.

If you like this, try: Endymion, Come to me, Muse, Midnight on the Midway

Oh my god, I just adore Pele. The scent is so fresh and effervescent on my skin, and it's so luxuriantly feminine. If white florals work for you, try it! It's just a feel-good, smell-better oil for me!

In the bottle: oh that's lovely and very feminine. I smell lilly of the valley, mostly.

On my skin: muguet with something spicey that I don't recognize as ginger but it has to be. Very nice. Both fresh and warm... like a Summer morning.

After a couple of hours: ginger and honey, a lovely mix.

Verdict: I got it as a frimp and I thought it wouldn't be for me... how wrong I was! This is a winner.

Very soft, but that’s what I get for trying next to Elegba! Way light, I may have to try it again but I usd a pretty big glop and it’s fading fast. Where is the fire? Although light, I am finding it does not fade. It’s a good thing, a light, basic Hawaiian floral. This is something suitable for a little girl, not overpowering at all.

I love the white florals. So it's really no surprise that I like Pele too - this is a warm, but light scent. The ginger warms this up without being overpowering - it's a lot like Sudha Segara in that respect. It's very spring-like, and I think that I'll want to reach for this a lot in warm weather. Keeping the imp, possible bottle. :P

In the bottle: Light wet florals

On skin, wet: Very light scent. Sweet pale green-pink smelling florals. It’s a really nice bright girly scent.

On skin, dry: Oh no! I think it might be turning soapy on me. Darn it! I like the white floral smell I had at first, but there is a definite ‘soap’ note on me that is taking over.

Drydown: It is a pretty soap, but still soap that makes me feel somewhat ill :P

Conclusion: I’ll try it again, but sadly I don’t think this is suited to my chemistry. It’s a shame, as it hints at something so pretty, but it just doesn’t work for me. Very sad. I got this as a frimp, and really wanted it to work!

Very very faint ginger and some florals. I mean *very* faint.

I'm going to let this imp age a bit and see if it gains any strength, mostly out of curiosity since ginger and I don't really get along.

I love ginger and lily of the valley, so I had high hopes for Pele. Unfortunately, the scent is so faint on my skin, even after slathering, that I can barely smell it. I'm sure it's gorgeous if your skin doesn't eat it all up, but I'll be passing this one along.

I don't know how to pick out certain notes yet, but I like this one. Too bad it fades fast. At first it smells kind of.... incense-y, to me. After drying, it gets very mellow. It would probably be lurvely in a scent locket (I'm still waiting for mine!).

This is a very non-offensive white floral with a sweetness from the ginger. I definitely smell white musk, and it's giving this a depth that I really love. I wasn't expecting to really like this when it first went on, but as it dries it is wooing me. I am quite impressed. Come spring, I may have to break this one out a lot. It has the potential of being passed over for scents I simply love, like Alice and Whitechapel, though. This one works for the dredges of winter, so I may have to wear it more. Very nice scent overall.

This one just isn't all that remarkable to me. Light floral, pretty, but that's about it, and it seemed I was only a half hour into wearing it and it was already pretty much gone.

I was born in Honolulu and there's a special place in my heart for Pele, but this scent didn't remind me of her at all. As someone else asked, "where is the fire?". I think even the goddess in repose would still have more of a hint of spice.

Disappointing, as I really wanted this one to work.

Pele is a soft pinkish-white floral. Smells tropical and beachy, but I don't really get any of the notes because it's so well blended. Lasts only like an hour though, so I have to keep slathering it on, but it's so GOOD! Recieved tons of compliments on it from girls. A guy once told me that I smelled like tutti frutti, when I was wearing Pele though, whatever that means. Definetely one of my favorites!

To be honest, my hopes weren't very high for this one. I've been finding that many florals do not like me.

Thankfully, I was wrong! I love ths one! It's such a beautiful, soft, refreshing floral. I wish it was stronger though, but it's kinda nice to just catch the scent now and then. It's almost flirty.

I'm also thinking that this might layer nicely with some othr scents that need to be softened.

I have to get a bottle. :P

In the bottle: Lily of the Valley (muguet), sweet, wet and clean.

Wet: Slightly powdery lily of the valley, very sweet and soft and realistic.

Drydown: This smells gorgeous, like a lily of the valley single note with a warm humidity around it, exactly how I would imagine a patch of flowers growing in a jungle to smell. It has a definite smell of clean laundry, but maybe that's just because I have a great fabric softener that smells exactly like this. After a while the lily of the valley lifts to leave a very clear, light scent of ginger, I think.

Overall: It's a delicious blend! It's white and clean, very pure, and slightly aquatic. There's a slightly powdery quality to it, and it also makes my throat ache a bit. However, it's really beautiful and I think that I'll definitely find myself reaching for it again. It's definitely uplifting.

This smells to me like something you might find in a handlotion or shampoo. It's that "clean" smell to me, though not the same kind of clean as bpal's dirty is. At first i can get a twinge of spicy ginger in there somewhere, but mainly it's all white floral on me.

I have no problems with the scent of Pele. It's a very clean-smelling scent to me, and the ginger and soft florals are a nice combination.

The problem I have with it is that it is SO faint on my skin that I can barely smell it at all. I've tried it several times. Once I even put on a LOT. It's just hardly there at all. I'd probably wear it if it were stronger because it's an interesting scent.

OK, my review was eaten twice...Pele is a very lovely blend on me--the ginger dries up the florals and turns them into very soft and creamy white florals (as opposed to the high, sharpness of say, white rose). No doubt this is the work of the muget. However, this is not as "tropical" as I thought it would be, since when I sniffed it in the imp, it smelled a lot like the beach (it sort of reminded of Intrigue in the imp, but they were totally different on my skin). This really is quite pretty, and I'm lucky in that I get good throw from it.

Fresh on my skin, I smell... nothing. Not quite right -- there’s a transparent wisp of floral, but really, I can’t smell anything of note. This is very odd.

Given a moment, it starts coming in, but very softly, very subtly. Pele is not going to be an impressive scent -- this is an inhale-and-concentrate scent, a ghost of ethereal tropical floral across my elbow. What I perceive is fleetingly lovely, but so fleeting!

Given further time, there is still really no scent on my arm. What I can pick up doesn’t have quite the same beauty as before; it’s just a transparent trace of... what? I have no clue, and I haven’t a prayer of saying anything useful about something that I can’t detect. How disappointing. I give up.

Still, I want to like it, from the bare tinge that I could catch. I’ll try to come back to it in summer and see if it will manifest more in hot weather.

In the imp & on, wet: strong tropical flowers with a hint of ginger

Drydown: This makes me think of warm, damp gardenias and stephanotis with a spicy bite from the ginger. Quite lovely.

Dry: My nose just completely blanks this out. Once it's dry I never smell it again. Although my husband says it smell really nice on me and the ginger bites his nose.

It's a keeper but I'll have to be careful of how much I use since I can't smell it!

Pele smells like "clean" to me. Whatever clean smells like, it smells like Pele. Most people seem to associate Pele with white, but on me it smells rather yellow, and like on most people it fades quickly.

This is definitely one of my favorites!

On me this is nearly all floral, mainly lily of the valley, with just the tiniest hint of ginger after it dries. It's actually fairly strong on my skin, and the throw is almost suffocating it's so strong! And I only put it on one wrist!

Way too floral for my tastes, in fact I had to wash it off after 30 minutes because I just couldn't take it anymore.