Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Pele

Pele:

...This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

In the bottle: Light & somewhat tropical

Wet: Oh, my. It's a cross between that HORRID perfume the girls in high school would stink up the locker room with (Hawaiian Ginger) and baby powder.

Drydown: While it smells pretty, it's just TOO flowery, in that tropical/high school way. Too many bad experiences with over-sprayed "body mist" on band buses and in the locker room.

Conclusion: sell imp

In the bottle: Strong tropical white floral. Very very sweet and summery and like the essence of the tropics.

On me: Well, THIS floral works, and has lasted. It's lovely, very sweet and almost sun-tan-lotionish. Makes me think I'm wearing a lei in the warm tropical rain. I can smell the ginger, and I think there's gardenia in there somewhere as well. Makes my "inner hippie chick" happy.

Verdict: This is definitely a summery, warm-weather scent; it reminds me very much of Kauai. I'll get a bottle in the springtime, as I don't think this scent is suitable for this time of year.

Caveat: This is sweet - and I mean with a capital S. I'm a lover of the sweet stuff and if I think it's sweet chances are others will think it's VERY sweet.

I'm having really good luck with the Excolo scents. Pele (along with Nuit) is destined to become a staple fragrance for me. I love Hawaiian white ginger, and the florals blend really well with it and my particular chemistry. I get just a faint hint of suntan lotion from this, but it's more like the scent of warm skin with just a tinge of the ocean on a bright breezy day.

I love Pele.

This is a nice scent. It's so hard to describe, but it's light and playful. It makes me think of islands and Hawaiian flowers and a touch of warmth from the ginger. Tropical. Summery.

Very nice. It's among my favorites.

I expected this to be firey somehow...it is not at all. It is suprisingly sweet and clean smelling, like the heart of Xiuhtecuhti. I like Xiu better...more complex, green on top with a resin drydown.

Edited by lookingglass

Imp

A green floral scent hits me first, with a very soft creamy afternote.

Wet

At first this is very fresh smelling, with a soft note...presumably the ginger, though it smellish lilish to me. The ginger is too quickly gone and replaced with a whispery floral. I am not sure I am in tune with this floral. I like its light strength, but I am not sure this is *the* floral for me. It does smell quite tropical, though.

It is tingling a bit on my wrist, hopefully this one is not a scorcher for me.

Dry

This is a very pretty, tropical scent. Not tropical in the sense of coconut and lost paradise types of scent, but as in fresh, large bloomed florals.

Laundry. Not laundry soap, just lovely, clean laundry possibly cleaned with the Ivory Snow I used to use on my boy's clothes wehn he was a baby. Reading the other reviews I feel like a mutant. Ginger never comes out on me and I do get some of the muguet but there is nothing tropical about this at all to my nose.

MMmmmm... soft and tropical, but not in a funky, cloying way that some "tropical" scents can be, it's nice and clean and just sweet enough (IMO). This one *is* very light, definitely a skin scent without a lot of throw. Hubby really likes it and has come sniffing around my neck a couple of times since I swiped it on. I fear it won't last long, however, since it's so light. Oh well-- that's a good excuse for a 10 ml if I ever heard one! I can't wait to try this in summer, when I think the heat and humidity here will bring this out better.

Definitely tropical, although not overpowering...so not overpowering, in fact, that I can barely smell it. Wah!

Still, Pele is quite pretty. It feels like a cousin to the also lovely Machu Picchu, but I don't think tropicals are quite for me.

This blend is gorgeous!

It smells just like Hawaii. It reminds me of hanging out under a tree full of those huge, fragrant white flowers that are everywhere there. I never figured out what they were called though.

Very rich and lush, sweet, decadent, wet tropical flowers.

looooove it!

In Bottle: light pretty floral, tropical

Description fits. It's not overpowering, but it does seem to have some staying power. Mmm, another re-buy!

Got this as a frimp from a forum member. Pele is a soft, light floral scent. White, whimsical and sweet. I agree with another review, its smell reminds you of silken vintage lingerie.

It is a lovely scent and I would have loved this. But on me, it does not have any staying power. It's gone in less than 10 mins. :sigh:

Edited by mandragora

Wet this is very faint florals- I can barely smell it! When first on it smells like suntan oil and very faint florals. It could be coconut but whatever it is, it's tropical. This is weird that I'm having such a hard time smelling this. It gets a little stronger but is still a very faint scent on me. It smells like tropical flowers- maybe gardenia? This is okay but doesn't do much for me.

I have a cold, so I'm probably not picking up all the complexities of scents today. That said. . .

In the bottle, warm tropical sea breeze with a hint of floral.

On my skin this is surprisingly light. There's a beautiful floral undertone, which I suspect is the hibiscus, but otherwise my skin just gobbles this up.

It's clearly a beautiful, feminine scent that is just so delicate and gentle, but on me it simply isn't strong enough to stick around.

I'll try it again when my cold is gone, of course, to see if that helps. :P

I'm having the same issue as many of you with my skin eating this right up! In the imp, I do smell the soft white flowers... but when I put it on, the flowers immediately go away, leaving only the barest hint of suntan lotion in their place. The same thing happened with Sudha Segara on me, so I am thinking that Beth's creamy/gingery blends may be problematic with my skin chemistry. No fair! Dumb skin!

This is tropical, but not suntan oil/coconut/drinks-with-little-umbrellas tropical. It smells like warm tropical flowers under a clear blue sky, with the ocean in the distance. . .so pretty! It's also very, very light and not very long-lasting, but I'm okay with that. This is another scent that is definitely in a running for my Warm Weather Scent of Choice, so I'm going to hold onto the imp until Spring rolls around and see how often I feel like wearing it.

This was a freebie and seemed right up my alley. I was nervous at first because it smelled rather soured in the bottle. I was afraid of "The Violet Effect" which is when the damp-floral note turns to smell like wilting and rotting on me. I was pleasantly surprised when I tested it on - It dries down nicely to "WOW! I smell like Hawaii!!" I instantly remember the trip I took to the botantical gardens, and fresh-picked plumeria blooms. Fantastically clean and sunshiney - I can feel the warm breeze and here ukuleles in the distance. This is the perfect summer scent. Amazing!

In Bottle: Clean linen

On Skin: I have heard the best things about Pele, so I was dying to try this scent. It is so beautiful and clean!!! It’s a warm clean, not stark. It reminds me of clean cotton sheets straight from the dryer. It makes me yearn for the 2 weeks we spent on our honeymoon in Tahiti. I can smell the sweet flowers, fresh air and general excitement and electricity. This is such a soft, comforting scent… a light ozone I can appreciate and that doesn’t turn to an extreme. I would love to wear this as well as use it as a room spray. I do wish the throw was a bit stronger because it does fade pretty quickly. I’m getting a bottle for sure.

Edited by slave1

Dove soap!

I don't get anything tropical at all, just a reassuring floral that reminds me strongly of Dove Soap. My girlfriend loves this scent -- its her go-to comfort scent when she's feeling blue.

I'm disappointed I don't get more tropical from it, but I enjoy the soapy scent.

I tried this on in imp form and... absolutely NOTHING. No smell, no odor whatsoever.

:P

and it sounded like it would smell so nice too.

Pele

Starts out as a very "flat" and generic schampoo fresh flower perfume. As it dries it gets sweeter fuller and more powdery, an oriental/tropic scent with hints of coconut or vanilla perhaps. Not my favourite,

Pele in the bottle: Very faint tropical notes. I was hoping the oil meeting skin would bring it to life but....

On Application: Ivory soap and very faint tropical notes (similar to Calogon's body spray Hawaiian Ginger).

1 Hour Later: A faint whiff of Ivory soap and even fainter tropical notes.

2+ Hours: Nothing.

This just didnt work with my body chemistry. It's currently up for grabs on Ebay.

First Impression: Lily-of-the-Valley plus other unknown florals.

Dries down to: A perfumy floral - but in a really good way.

Additional Comments: Normally, this would be too perfume-y for me but, for some reason, I'm really drawn to it (One of the things that really stuck in my memory from my trip to Hawaii was the black sand beaches - this scent evoked that memory instantly). I'm not sure what all the tropical florals in this one are but I definitely recognize plumeria. The dominant note seems to be the white ginger and it really gives this blend its character. It verges on "soapy" but never actually crosses the line - quite fascinating.

Lasted: About 2 hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (Would have been a 5 if only it lasted longer).