Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Macha

Red Phoenix

A celebration of three years of decadence, determination, death and rebirth. Red musk, tonka, Chinese cassia, mandarin, patchouli, benzoin, wild plum and tobacco.

WOW, I love this. It reminds me of red moon only better, as I get a spicy red/hot cinnamon like I've never smelled in any other blend before. Kind of like the candy hearts you can get around Valentines day. Must be the chinese cassia, because other cassia's don't smell like this to me, unless something else is giving it that vibe. I'm also getting some burning, but nothing that won't stop me from wearing this. I love red musk, and the two together is such a wonderful combination, though the red musk is taking the background here, it's mostly just the glorious spice. I detect a mellowness underneath, which is maybe the benzoin that is rounding this all off. Very nice!!

This was a truly perfect scent for me. The cassia took the lead while wet, the entire blend spicy and exotic, with the red musk adding a gorgeous base, and the tonka and tobacco playing dirty. And then, during the drydown, the mandarin came out. Oh the humanity! Mandarin does NOT like my skin, or maybe the other way around. Thus, this went sickly sweet and thin. Not for me :P

Most of the Phoenix oils to me seem rather special, they're quite different and interesting. Red Phoenix is the only one so far I've tried and thought...meh.

If a blend has cassia in it, it usually drowns out all the other top notes and kinda ruins then blend. (For me anyway) so...this is all Cassia when it's wet, and that's pretty much it for the wet stage, I'm not getting anything else.

When it's dry the cassia does eventually fade and there's a gentle red musk, and a tiny bit of fruit.

There's not much else to say about this blend really..

Green Phoenix and Pink Phoenix kick this one's bum!

:P

Sweet and sharp! The orange is there. It's a candy kind of scent. This is one that keeps drawing me back to sniff and sniff again.

Bottle: This reminds me a lot of The Dodo. Very warm and fruity and a good sized hit of red musk. I get a faint hint of the tobacco and some of that patchouli smoothness. Like the Dodo on a bit of a weekend bender.

Wet: Cassia is definitely the dominant note. I'm actually a bit fearful because the Dodo has caused a bit of contact dermatitis lately and I will be one big frowny face if one of my most coveted LEs turns out to be allergy inducing. I'm starting to get a hint of the fruitiness--the same sort of icy, crystalized mandarin scent I find in Lady Lilith and Kubla Khan is present here.

Dry: Oh my. The cassia is still present over the entire thing giving a beautiful, dark spiciness to this. The red musk and patchouli are at that aged point where they blend together (possibly with the tobacco) into a wonderful, rich musky/mellow base. I get a sort of vanilla sense from the tonka and/or benzoin but it's not really noticeable. The real winner of the drydown is the plum. This is the same plum as in Blood Countess and it just winds its way through the whole scent beautifully. This is exotic, dark, sensuous, womanly and really, exceedingly sexual.

Throw: Good.

Overall: This is a heavenly blend. It's the perfect mix of fruit and resin and the red musk adds a lovely, elegant sensuality. I am sitting at home wearing my pajamas and drinking tea and I feel absolutely, gloriously sexy. I will admit the caveat that it seems a bit too much for the warm weather we're enjoying right now but it is a gorgeous blend and I think that if I keep it safe it will survive to enjoy another winter.

A sensual, spicy sweet scent. Cinnamon spicy, yet there is no cinnamon. Tonka and benzoin combined with wild plum and mandarin really stand out for me. Red musk, while one of the main notes is sitting quietly in the background which is just fine with me, as musk especially red musk can be very overwhelming. Patchouli is also right on the cusp, and gives the spicy sweetness a little depth and earthiness. Overall a very wearable scent, but feels too heavy this time of year.

Out of the bottle this is really similar to All Night Long. A spicy red musk!

On my skin this is primarily red musk with a light cassia note. I feel like the sweetness from the tonka sort of mellows it out.

I'm not detecting any patchouli or benzoin.

This dries into a totally sexy cinnamon spicy red musk with a hint of tobacco in the background.

REAAALLYYY nice. Again, I dunno why I've had this stashed away for so long. I need to start wearing this one more regularly, it's drop dead gorgeous. :wub2:

In the bottle: Musk, patchouli and plum. Not overpowering!

Wet: Erk, the patchouli is trying to take over! And there's something spicy which I'm guessing is the cassia - ooh-er, I just sneezed! :o

Dry: The plum is coming out a bit more now. I might keep this and try it again as red is my favourite colour and I really want it to work! It's so spicy though!

I love this. It actually come out very cinnamonny on my skin, and before I looked at the note list I could have sworn there was cinnamon; maybe it's just the way things reacted with my chemistry. Cinnamon is one of my favorite notes, and to me this smells like cinnamon red hots all grown up and sexified, especially with the red musk. It's the bottled equivalent of a slinky red dress. :wub2:

Red Phoenix on me is dark, moody, and spicy clean smelling. I've had this for a while and honestly have only worn it once. I think it is time for it to be moving on to a more appreciative owner.

I love the Phoenix scents. I was really looking forward to trying Red Phoenix since it evokes such a cool mental image!

In the imp: I smell the tobacco and the benzoin. So far, not my thing, but I must push on.

On the skin: The plum is coming out, with some red musk dancing in the background. I don't know what cassia smells like to be able to comment on it and I don't smell the mandarin, which is ashame because I love the orange scents.

Dry down: All plum and spice. It's nice, but not what I was hoping for. I got my Mom hooked on the Phoenix scents, I bet she's love this one, since she's a BIG fan of Fire Phoenix!

I'm so glad I got to try it!!!! Now, if I could get my hands on Blue & Blood Phoenix........

I have tried this again and I find the spice is VERY warm and inviting. I love it. Sometimes the PH in the skin does some weird reaction, but I do enjoy this scent. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Edited by PuppetMistress

Sniffed: Red and spicy! Chinese cassia (which is a cinnamon variant) dominates on a backdrop of much fainter notes: red musk, patchouli and fruit.

On skin: When wet, Red Phoenix is a melange of red musk, patchouli, mandarin orange and tobacco, all under the dominant presence of cassia. Thankfully, this cinnamon variant isn't as aggressive as the Lab's "cinnamon" note, and indeed subsides after the scent dries. Now the blend really opens up to reveal bright mandarin, glowing patchouli, mellow red musk and a whiff of gritty, smoky tobacco. Red Phoenix ends up cinnamon-spicy and glowing red, and that is my colour impression.

Verdict: A straightforward "red" scent, heavy on patchouli and cassia. I'm generally not fond of cinnamon, and even though Red Phoenix rates better than others, it's still too much for me.

Tried some of this on my skin this morning after a couple of years' of not using perfume oils.

Started off smelling really delightful - nice rich musk, with the cassia, patchouli, and tobacco coming out clear and strong. Two hours later, it's pretty much turned to powder. Might be the musk, might be the patchouli. (My skin's never been great on the woods.)

My nose hated this on the wand, it was really sharp and musty at the same time. On the skin it gets better, and I start to recognize some notes. Patch and tobacco give an earthy base and the red musk and plum are sultry and fruity, but time has really smoothed them over. Not very sweet, surprising given the tonka and benzoin. Something about this is still not agreeing with my skin, staying quite sharp.