Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin and pomegranate.

In the vial all I get is a sweet, butter pumpkin scent...
No pomegranate at all.

On my skin though, the tart pomegranate came out and really blended with the pumpkin...and honestly, it made me feel a little sick.

I cannot wear this :P
I don't like the tartness or the blend of these two together at all.

In the bottle: It nearly jumped out and strangled me. There's something very rich and overly sweet and cloying about the scent in the bottle and it was so strong and offensive that I almost didn't try it on. This would be a mistake since I love all things pomegranate, and the GC inclusion of Swank is what persuaded me to give BPAL a chance to begin with.

Wet: A much different story. Tart, juicy pomegranate with pumpkin pie spices.

Dry: All sorts of pomegranate with a jack-o-lantern glowing in the background. To me, this is a perfect autumn scent. It made me keep smelling my wrists all day and proclaiming how awesome I smelled - it's a keeper.

Pumpkin Patch #3 - I don’t usually touch anything pumpkin. I don’t eat pumpkin pie, I don’t want to use pumpkin shower gels, and pumpkin perfumes sound simply awful. However, this past fall, I decided to try some out. I bought some pumpkin butter while on Cape Cod, and it was good. So I tried some pumpkin cake and it was good. A friend sent me some Coconut Hut pumpkin perfumes, and I liked two out of three. So I decided to try PP#3 especially since I love pomegranate and figured that would surely save any unpleasant pumpkin odor. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the case, and within 30 minutes I was washing it off. The pumpkin and pomegranate clash horribly. Those were two scents that were simply never meant to be blended. The pumpkin smelled like buttered popcorn on my skin and became increasingly cloying and nauseating. I sent my vial off to the friend who sent me the CH pumpkin stuff – someone who normally loves pumpkin -- and hopefully she loved it more than I did.

In the bottle: It smells like butterscotch and pomegranate

First on: Very sweet and sticky with a slight tartness from the pomegranate.

After a bit: Sweet buttery goodness spiked with pomegranate.

A bit more: It tames down a bit, but it's still a very gourmand scent.

In the bottle: DEFINATELY smell the pumpkin in this. With a fruity tasty smell under it. HI POMEGRANATE. :P Nice to see yuuu! ...Oh. You're shy. Well then.

Wet: ....Smells like...smells liiiike...a candle from Green Earth. ....

Nevermind.

Oh gods.

Please dry better. This is not turning out good.

Dry: UUUGh! ROTTEN pumpkin! This HATES me. Oh...wait...Okay nevermind. The Pomegranate said "I HAYT U" to the pumpkin, stomped on it, got rotten pumpkin on it's foot, had a shower and is now clean.

But it's not me at all.

SO I say bye bye to this one.

First sniff: So very interesting! Superjuicyfruitytart with a faintly spicy undertone.

Wearing: Red fruit is dominant, but the pumpkin is strong with this one. It’s not quite like anything I’ve ever smelled before. Verdict: It’s weird and I like it!

In the bottle, all of the BPAL pumpkin scents smell like popcorn to me. I've learned to ignore this, as it doesn't give me a fair impression.

Wet, the pumpkin overpowers the pomegranate, until it's almost purely the rich, earthy smell of squash sitting against my skin. I love the smell of pumpkin, so I would have been happy if it had stayed there. But it didn't...

Dry, the sharp, fruity notes of the pomegrante come out, along with what may be a psychosomatic hint of mulling spices, as the brain goes 'it's pumpkin, must be spiced'. This smells like Persephone at the harvest fair, just before she goes back to her husband, and has become my all-time favourite BPAL pumpkin perfume.

This wears a really, really long time, and a little goes a long, long way, at least for me.

wet this is similar to jack, buttery pumpkin. once dry the pomegranate comes out and it's fruity but buttery. i'm glad i bought an extra bottle of this one. my favourite PP so far :P

Who'd have thought pumpkin and pomegranate could work so well together? This is a blend that could have gone horribly awry, but thankfully, it's a winner. I smell the pomegranate note from Swank, along with a sweet, low-key pumpkin with no spice. It's a very fruity blend, and it does tend to turn a bit powdery on my skin, but most BPAL fruits do this. Also, lasting power was below average for me. To remedy these problems, I'm going to try it in a scent locket and see if that helps, and will report back if so.

It the vial it had a smoky woodsy feel to it that reminded me of another PP. Applied it completely morphed and turned very fruity. Sweet juicy fruit. Another lovely blend

Pumpkin Patch #3-

In Bottle: Oh, sweeeeet and delicious!

Wet: Oh, yum, I can definitely smell pomegranate. It's almost orangey but far more delicious! I hope the dry-down on this is nice because it's lovely straight off.

Dry: Not a long sustainer, but it remains a lovely scent and there's no mustiness. Stays sweet and fruity the whole way.Very nice.

Overall: I like!

Wet: confused ... buttery pumpkin, no pomegranate!!

Dry: still confused ... eww ... plastic?

I was really looking foward to this one too, oh well. Off to swaps it goes.

Starts out with an intense blast of the buttery note that others have gotten from pumpkin scents, but this dies down almost right away, and the pomegranate takes over, with a hint of pie-crust behind it. Settles down to remain almost entirely pomegranate, a bit spicey. It gets softer and mellower after about an hour, and is really quite nice at that stage, but it's also pretty faint. Pleasant, though I'm not sure how often I'm likely to wear it.

In the bottle: Creamy, almost buttery. I'm not getting the pomengranate much at all.

Wet: OMG. Pumpkin cake. Not particularly spicy, but still creamy.

Dry: Honestly? This reminds me a LOT of Monsterbait: Closet. It has the same berry-ish note (the pomengranate finally made itself known with a sweet fruitiness) and almost buttercreaminess that I get from the Closet Monster. Definitely a great comfort scent for me.

In the bottle: Smells a lot like Jack or Pumpkin Patch #1.

On my skin: At first, just the buttery pumpkin. Then the pomegranate comes out and slaps me in the face with its super fruity powers. Then there is this weird morph into a sandy spicy scent, reminiscent of one of the stages of Black Cat.

Dry: Pumpkin in the background, pomegranate moves in and out. Very fall!

In the Bottle: My first whiff got the buttery pumpkin scent. Then my second whiff got a cherry lollypop. I sniffed again and it was a slightly spicy cherry candy.

Initial Wet: And the pomegranate goes sour :P *sigh* There's a little bit of pumpkin behind the sour, but it's mostly yuck.

Initial Dry: Ah, that's a bit better, sort of. Now it smells like a sour cherry bubble gum (if such a thing existed). I'm thinking of those sour pucker candies that have that extremely sour coating around it.

Drier Dry: Now it’s just a candy sweet scent with a hint of sour. Very lollypopish. None of the nice subtle pumpkin sweet I got from the other Pumpkin Patches.

In the imp: pumpkin butter

Wet on skin: fruity pumpkin butter, with a hint of something bubblegummy lurking in the background

Dry on skin: Ack! Gah! Wash it off! :P This is just like that fake bubble gum medicine they tried to force me to take as a kid - amoxicillin, I believe.

Overall: 1/10. If I could keep that initial wet note, it would be ranked much much higher. Maybe it'll be usable as a room scent in my oil burner, it might just be my skin chemistry. Whatever that icky medicine was, I always reacted really badly to it - allergic reactions, hives, etc. Maybe it's just negative reinforcement, but I can't stand the smell of it now. Doh.

Note: I should mention that this was aged PP#3 from last year. Maybe it had something to do with the aging that caused it to turn into the amoxicillin pumpkin of doom?

Edited by BellaKatrina

Buttery! Spicy! Pumpkin-y! And . . . fruity! How playful this is in the bottle!

And how amazing it is on! This combination should not work, but it does. I remember having scratch and sniff stickers as a kid that smelled like this. I don't remember what the stickers were actually supposed to smell like, but this is the smell of them.

Warm pumpkin combines very naturally with pomegranate's perfumey fruitiness to create a sweet scent that is warm as laughter.

On drydown it becomes more stable – a warm spiced pumpkin scent underneath a strong fruity blast of pomegranate. This smell is very candylike, and also candle-like, which is far from unpleasant. The extreme weardown is the most yummy and comforting warm pumpkin smell, perfectly between foody, spicy, and earthy.

Why do my reviews have to come with a story? This one too. Sweet/Tart vengence.

I was sitting at coffee with some co-workers to unwind from the night. We graveyard workers have a twisted sense of humour. I told a friend of mine not to lean back in his chair like that or he would fall. being 7 years my senior, he asked why he should listen to a brat like me. I said "Because I carry Karma's Handgun." He scoffed, and continued. I said "Ooookaaay, but you asked for it!". I made my hand look like a gun and said "BANG". He smirked when nothing happened, and then all of a sudden all we saw of him were feet in the air. After the laughter (which I did not join in) died down and he got up, he looked me in the eye. Straight faced and sober I said "I told you.".. He stayed in his chair the rest of the time.

Delicious fruits of the moment!

It smells like buttery tartly sweet vengence only Karma could create. :P

2005 Version

I had no idea what to expect from this scent, and now I have no idea what to say about it. *facepalm* The pumpkin is buttery and rich, as expected, but it's toned down by the clean sweetness of the pomegranate. There's a bit of tartness to it, as well, which I like. Overall, it ends up being an energizing, breezy scent, but not one I'd wear very often.

I love both of these notes, so I'm really hope the combination of the two works on me. And better yet, doesn't fade.

In the bottle - There's something sweet but tart about this mixture. I reminds me of gum, actually, that sour Trident gum.

Wet - This is very tart and not at all buttery from the pumpkin.

Drying - Oh dear, I knew it. This is fading fast on me. My skin is eating the tart 'granate goodness! While it's still around, there is a very smooth texture from the pumpkin that is going extremely well with the slightly sweet tartness. This is really lovely, even as it's fading away.

Dry (30 minutes) - I hate my skin chemistry sometimes... Sure, this was fading fast, which I can understand, but then my skin morphed it into something that doesn't EXACTLY smell like poo. Reminds me of it, though.

Overall - This is heartbreak for me. I haven't had a single one of the Patch work for me and this one I was so sure would work out...

I *think* this shortie I have is the 2005 version, based on when I received it as a freebie - it might've been too early for the 2006 version to be floating about like this. Not sure, anyways.

I've been putting off reviewing this because I'm not a huge fan of buttery scents, and my first sniff from the imp was all scary butter, kind of like super rich butterscotch, almost cloying, with something tart in there.

Wet on skin ... eeeep! buttery! The reason I'm so wary of buttery things is because they end up having this fake plastic note on me, and it's not pleasant unfortunately ...

Once it's dry, I get a hit of something sharp and fruity in amongst the buttery plastic thing. I wish the plastic thing wasn't there, because I'm a fiend for sweet things ...

On the up side, at least I know to avoid pumpkin?

This was instant love for me. These are two of my favorite things. However, I never thought of this combination!

I started craving a big, luscious pumpkin pie when I first anointed myself with this perfume. It was all pumpkin and no pomegranate at all. Oh, but after Pumpkin Patch #3 combined with me, the zesty pomegranate came out. It was juicy and spicy. Simply divine.

Pumpkin Patch #3 was long lasting on me. I would say a good eight or nine hours of gorgeous, mouth-watering pumpkin goodness. The throw was enough and never overpowering. A perfect blend for pumpkin lovers.

What an odd combination.

At first this is the same pumpkin that all of the scents in this collection are, then there's a quick burst of succulent pomegranate, and then it disappears. Just like that. If I hold my wrist right up to my nose I get that fruity, autumny candle scent that other reviewers have mentioned, but underneath it there's an animal musk that I don't care for. I'll definitely try this one a few more times though, since I'm such a fan of BPAL's pumpkin, and hopefully it'll perk up a bit.