Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin and pomegranate.

Preconceived notions: I like pumpkin. I like pomegranate. Not things I'd automatically pair with each other, but I've got a good feeling.

In the bottle: Fruity, yet pumpkiny. Imagine that.

On: The juicy red smell of pomegranate is a really interesting contrast to the more buttery, pulpy pumpkin - it adds a layer of light sweetness on top of the pumpkin's warm foody tone. As it dries, it does develop a bit of a candle/potpourri smell to my nose, but that's probably because the only time I've really smelled these two scents in conjunction with each other is at candle shops. It's a light, fun fall fruit scent, and very pleasant.

post-57-1133858250.png

This is fantastic! I love the tart yet sweet pomegranate with the warm buttery pumpkin. This one has nore energy to it, where as the others are more comforting. I love it!!!!!

First pumpkin patch review from your howlin' fragrance fiend.

This one came in a blue bottle as opposed to the others in my pumpkin patch, and I had to try it first because it has pomegranate, my favorite fruit in it! So... here goes!

In the bottle, it smells kind of buttery, that little whiff you get off of creamy pumpkin pie filling with a very faint fruitiness, tart, at the top, with a slight crust-like vanilla basenote. On skin, it obtains a very fruity, berry-gum like note (just like what I get out of Swank), and it reminds me a lot of Double Bubble. Dries down with a very distinct, 'squashy', mildly sweet aroma. Definitely interesting. I don't know if it's something I'd wear every day, but I do find the blending like an upscale Halloween blend.

Oh, this one is so very interesting.

It begins, like the others, with a buttery sweet pumpkin note. The pomegranate in this never becomes as strong as it does in Beth's other pomegranate blends; I don't get bright, juicy fruits. It's tart, and it smells lovely when I put my nose to it, but as I pull my nost away from my wrist, it smells slightly odd. I'm not sure how to describe it; it's just a less pleasant tartness.

That does diminish when it dries, and it becomes lovely - juicy and cool, a lovely, lighter autumn scent.

I wasn't at all sure what to expect about the combination of pumpkin with pomegranate, and in some ways, I'm still not sure what I think - I like it, but the middle phase remains ... odd.

Pumpkin and pomegranate is the least pumpkiny of the PP that I've tried so far. The pomegranate is very prominent with the rich juicy frutiness coming to the front with the pumpkin taking the back seat. As with the others this oil is nicely blended so that the pomegranate doesn't quite overpower the pumpkin but there's not quite enough of the buttery warmth for my taste. Still this is a lovely autumn scent that I'll enjoy wearing on cool days.

I figured that this one would be my least favorite of the patch, since I'm not fond of BPAL's pomegranate note. It's not awful, but it actually is my least favorite.

Oddly, this smells exactly like the bubblegum flavored medicine that I was given as a child. I actually didn't mind taking the medicine, but it was strange. If I make a conscious effort to smell the pomegranate, I can pick it out... but the overall impression is bubblegum medicine.

I'm not sure that I can actually wear this one. I sort of like it when I first put it on, but after a few minutes it begins to make me feel nauseous. :P

This was the first of the patch I tried on. I was a little wary of the description - I love both notes, but wasn't sure I'd like them together. But once I'd opened the bottles and done the first sniff test, I had to try this first.

It is divine! First I smell the pomegranate, but it's warmer than usual. The pumpkin gives it a rich underpinning - the scents don't clash, they just round each other out. I can see why some people might associate it with a candle, but there's nothing fake or waxy about the smell on me - it's all fruity warm deliciousness. ... I think I need more!

The pomegranate and pumpkin combo in the bottle is wonderful, but on my skin I also get a 'bubble gum' note that is very stubborn. Pomegranate usually does really well by me, so it's disappointing. If it smelled on me the way it smelled in the bottle, I'd be in pumpkin heaven!

in the bottle: fruity pomegranate

wet: wow almost all pomegranate, if i sniff hard i can detect a hint of pumpkin

as it dries it remains mostly pomegranate but w/ a grounding pumpkin note, to keep it from being over the top sweet. it is juicy, and fresh w/ a warm mushy background that completes the whole thing beautifully

This doesn't like me. To be more specific, I love pomegranate, but it loves me too much. I get barely any pumpkin from this no matter how hard I sniff or how long I wait. There's just this uber-candy smell that I got from Swank. It's jaunty and has an attitude, sweet and sharp but refuses to deepen or let the pumpkin come out and play. And I don't like the way it's looking at me with that "So go ahead, do something about it" smirk. This one's not for me, sadly.

(To be honest, it's a good thing as I'm rolling around in someone else's Patch...though we seem to be having the same reactions and this may just help my cause in the long run. :P)

this was the PPatch that i had the highest hope for, and it doesn't disappoint. to me, the buttery Jack is overwhelming, and in the bottle i can smell some of that. but i put this on and the Pomegrantate just blossoms on my skin! it cuts through the butter and becomes all pomegrante with a supporting base of dark sweet pumpkin butter. somehow, the two of these mix to give just the tinist hint of spice too.

:P

i'm soooo glad that it works on my skin! hooray!

not as fizzy as Swank, and more earthy than Persephone, i love this one!

for pomegranate lovers only :D

n.

I didn't expect to like this at all. BPAL fruit notes are extremely "juicy" to my nose--more like fruit juice than the actual fruit--and I expected that to be kinda nasty with pumpkin. It's actually a pretty good match, and it smells gourmand without smelling like a particular food.

The drydown isn't so hot though. The pumpkin turns bitter-green, and the pom dissapears. Definately my least favorite of the five =/.

Wet - it starts off pumpkiny and fruity and then the pomegranate turns on me. It almost smells of overripe, rotting fruit, but I am willing to give it a chance to dry and see where this takes me.

Dry - it settles down a bit, but it still smells like an overripe pumpkin. Sadly, this blend is not for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

Oh! I like this more than I thought I would. It was a little odd at first, but the drydown is fabulous. The combonation of pumpkin and pomegranate was hard for me to imagine, but it works really well - the pumpkin rounds out and sort of grounds the pomegranate, it's hard to explain. Basically, it's a very tangy fruit smell. It sort of makes my mouth water. :P It's suprisingly strong, but in a nice way!

It's both simple and really unique. It manages to be warm but light and cheerful, and I really like that about it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am very happy with PP3. Beth is an amazing superstar goddess of scent. :D

I like pumpkin. I don't like pomegranite. I had a feeling I would hate this, and I do. Ok, maybe hate it too strong a word. There are a few--very few--BPAL scents I hate, and they usually involve the "dirt" scents.

So I don't hate this, but I don't like it at all. I'm totally overwhelmed by pomegranite, even more so that in swank, which actually was ok for me and not too heavy on pomegranite. but that fruity, icky, slight artificial note that is for me pomegranite dominates. No pumpkin, which I find to be a very versatile note as it turns out (though that's not so surprising, the fruit? vegetable? is pretty flexible itself).

Off it goes. Hopefully someone will want it.

Lisa+pomegranite = :P

This is the blend I was least interested in...

And of course it is gorgeous. The fruit is sweet, tart, pomegranate. The pumpkin is the squashy earth smell of fresh carved pumpkin.

Together? Blissful, sweet, tangy, earthy pumpkin. I get almost a wine note from the pomegranate, and the pumpkin balances it nicely.

Lovely, early autumn scent. It is perfect for those indian summer days. :P

I haven't given this a really good go, but gah... this is terrible on me.

The other patches are lovely, but pomegranate hates me.

In the imp, my first impression was: Ooooh! *sniff sniff* EWWWWW! Sharp medicine. Cough syrup!

This smells like Vicks cough syrup, with that sharp, alcoholic note that kind of burns. Someone else mentioned the bubblegum medicine, the creamy pink stuff. I get that too. Yuck. It makes me a little nauseous. If I sniff carefully (but I don't like to) I get a whiff of pumpkin, but it's all pomegranate, all the time. I can't even sniff it, it smells so terrible to me. I fell asleep, so I'm not sure how it mellowed, but now, a few hours later, it's mostly gone.

I knew there was a reason I wasn't really interested in this one.... Maybe I'll let my little imp age a bit, but if this acts anything like wine notes on me, unfortunately it will never work.

Edited by Xiabelle

After having disliked #1 and #2 I was not optimistic.

Sniffing the imp, the buttery smell that I'm not particularly into is, I guess the pumpkin. But I like most pumpkin-spice products, go figure.

Anyway, somehow the sweet, red fruit rounds out the scent of the buttery pumpkin and makes the result absolutely delectable, like a loaf of pumpkin/cranberry bread fresh out of the oven.

This smells like the baked goods counters at many coffee shops this fall.

I'm not finding it too sweet thankfully. It's sweet, but tart at the same time. Just delicious.

As it dries, the pumpkin fades a bit and the pomegranate takes over, but it's a softer pomegranate and I still smell delicious.

Pumpkin Patch 3

Third verse, same as the first: Snarky no likey the pumpkin, but Snarky is trying to learn. On the largess of a good friend for whom this decant set is intended, I get to play and discover.

Sidenote: Pumpkin friend's (who is now to be considered the PumpkinKing for his luurve of the squash) wife got my imp of Swank is love love loves pomegranate. So if this one doesn't work for him, she'll be happy to adopt it. Heck, she'll probably steal it anyway.

Because this? This is RED. You can definitely pick up on the pom in this. It's almost knocking out the pumpkin on me.

In the bottle: buttery pumpkin introduction, quickly followed by uppercut of red juicy fruitiness. SMACK.

Wet/drydown: Yikes. I'm getting nothing but Cherry Chapstick. The very exact smell of it. From the artificial (yet oddly compelling) fruity redness down to a subtle wax aftertaste.

Later: While not unpleasant, this is not a blend I would reach for. It is assertive like a candy store--all bright aggressive powerful notes jostling about noisily. The squashiness of the pumpkin keeps the pom from getting crazy sweet, but sometimes it's wafting like the two are fighting for dominance rather than complementing eachother.

And, at first I thought I was just getting a little sneezy from the weather, but I think this oil is making my nose twitch. :P

ETA: Dag nabbit, it happened again. My skin throws oversweet pumpkin at first, then it eats it, and the byproduct is a great almost incensy only vaguely foody and sweet (but in the way that some really good wine can be sweet, and not candy sweet) close-to-skin scent. The pom is almost completely gone. How does Beth do it? She's turning a Pumpkin Hater into a Pumpkin Let's Just Be Friends.

Edited by darkitysnark

On me this is all pomegranate, all the time. I might've gotten the barest hint of pumpkin at first but that immediately faded off and a very loud pomegranate note took center stage. There's a bit of a musky tone behind the pomegranate, but that just might be how pomegranate smells on my skin.

Hmm This one is kind of sweet tarty. It's fruity. I'm not sure how I feel about it. One of my friends said she liked this one on me the best though. hmmmm

In the bottle

The berrylishious likeness of Pomegranates, ripe and sweet.

On

I like me some pomegranantes but I really didn't see how this was going to work well. I shouldn't have doubted the coupling of the pomegranate and the pumpkin. It's almost odd, but not quite, and certainly not in a yuk way at all. Not at this point anyway.

30 minutes

Definitely gets more pumpkin-y and less sweet and juicy with the pomegranates.

I dunno if this is a good thing.

There's this nutty or something quality in the middle of everything harshing our mellow with the berries vibe and it's pissing me off. It's like biting into a sweet juicy pear and biting into some of the stringy pulp part.

I hate when that happens.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

fruity/foody

Summary

In the bottle is fab.

On my skin is alright for awhile until it dries it becomes off somehow.

This is one to have just for the Chaos Theory quality of it all.

I think I like my "Swank" or "The Red Queen" for my dark red fruity blends.

Purchase again?

Not sure.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

117456495.jpg

Edited by UltraViolet

In the bottle and on my skin, I can't distinguish any specific pomegranate or pumpkin notes. The scent is extremely sweet and fruity with a hint of musk to it. I think this sweetness is related to the bubble gum scent that so many forumites are smelling.

This scent faded very quickly. Pumpkin Patch 3 was definitely a bust :P

First off, I love the icon on the bottle. That alone made me want to try this oil. In the bottle, it definately has a bright, fruity scent of pomegranate. I can smell the pumpkin mixed in as well, and I immediately thought of Halloweens back in California when my tongue, fingers, and skin would be dyed pink from eating pomegranates and there was the warm smell of a jack o' lantern.

I was afraid that this was going to smell too much like Jack, but after comparing the two, I can pick out different notes that make the two oils different.

This is a keeper.

I am assuming this is the pomegranate Pumpkin Patch because while my imps aren't numbered there is definitely a fruity aspect to this scent.

Once I get over the usual nausea I feel at the pumpkin top note, the bright red berry scent comes bounding out onto the stage. This actually smells like a candle shop in New Hope, Pa. that I love. It has a waxy, fruity smell with a taste of burnt, billowing flame. The pumpkinny smell is gone almost immediately and it's just a bright red glowing pomegranate. I have been eating pomegranates almost every day this fall and it's a scent that I'm very familiar with!

It smells like a pomegranate candle. It fades fairly quickly but the sickening smell that greets me when I first sniff it is gone fast as well, meaning I have a much better chance of enjoying this than I had though.

I didn't think I'd be able to wear anything out of the Patch so I'm glad that a couple of these worked out OK!