Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

Astrology Recommendations

Well, it makes sense that aquatics are linked to water signs, and that spicy/hot scents are linked with fire signs, and earthy scents to earth signs, but how do you know the specifics? Why resins with air? What fragrances go with what sign (not element)?

Personally I don't let my sign restrict my fragrances, even though I am an avid believer in astrology. Narrowing your scent choices to your sign prevents you from enjoying other scents, I think...I'm an Aries and yes, i do like fiery spicy scents (Shub Niggurath, Three Witches, anything cinnamon-yall the scents on that link about elements) but I also love watery scents?? And florals (yup, extremely floral)? And incense??? Mind you i would looooooove to get my hands on the now discon'd Aries scent!!! Black pepper! Frankincense! Ginger! :P

That tarot listing of sign correspondences seems to make sense in some places, but in others, the correspondences seem a bit odd...shouldn't the Moon be linked with Cancer, not Pisces? Or even with the Moon itself???

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Chiii....

Sounds like I'm bound to like all sorts of stuff.... and I do!

Erm...

You know, there are some astrological theorists who perscribe to the belief of 12 celestials for 12 signs... meaning that two of them haven't been found yet. Yes, I'm guilty of reading Linda Goodman. Maybe I just don't *want* to see Virgo share a scatalogical planet with Gemini.

I remember reading somewhere that the planet for Virgo is actually the asteroid belt... meaning the planet is nonexistant! Oh phoo!

Okay, enough with the hijack. I think people like what they like, and if there is a link with astrology as to why I like crisp, clean scents so much (which would make sense, being a Virgo, but still....), I think that there would be a lot of mathematics involved as well as quite a bit of variables. Since I already have a fair grasp of what I like, although Beth and her imps continue to surprise me, I don't think I need to go through the headache of figuring out why I like what I like. I'm fairly satisfied without knowing the schematics.

I am intrigued by the whole astrology/tarot connection presented earlier in this thread, seeing as how The Hermit (which is battling Chokmah for title of Favourite BPAL Ever) is my most beloved card and most beloved BPAL oil, and there's apparently a Virgo connection.

*yes!*

Even if it weren't true, I'd still like to believe it anyway. And now I have all the more reason to check out the Magician, with its Mercury connotations. As if I needed a reason to spend more money....

-doreen

Before Beth got Crazy Busy, she told me she was exploring this theory that a person's moon sign has a lot to do with the scents they like.

I was just thinking that as I was reading this thread. The sun sign is supposed to symbolize our public faces, while the moon sign is more about how we view ourselves. (I think.)

Fire (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius)

Earth (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn)

Air (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius)

Water (Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces)

Sun: Libra

Moon: Cancer

Rising: Scorpio

Well. That certainly explains why I do so well with aquatics. However, I've noticed that Beth's watery scents tend to ride more on citrus than (yeech) florals. I find some smoky and amber scents pleasing, like Tombstone and The Lion. They have to be very sweet, though.

I guess I'll have to do more research to figure out why I went ga-ga over Graveyard Dirt. :P

Edited by byrdie

Why resins with air?

I'm fairly sure that the association come from the fact that resins have been primarily used for incense since ancient times, and incense smoke has air association in magic, etc. And smoke, apart from wind, is the form of air that is easiest for us to see and identify, even if it is a product of fire.

And Byrdie, I've usually read that the ascendent reflects the public self and the first impressions we give, the sun represents our identity, and the moon is our emotional needs and our subconscious.

I guess I'm different; while the sun's in Aries, I really don't like firey, spicy scents. They can get too heavy, I guess. Gemini sounds fantastic, if only because it's clean and sounds like enough of an everyday scent without getting too obtrusive.

Overall, though, the water scents are my thing. Easier to wear with my style, IMHO.

I had a working hypothesis that we're drawn to what we lack.  So if you have all kinds of fire in your chart, you'd want air types of scents to balance you out, for example.

Just another way to look at it.

Interesting. I'm a Leo and my favorite scent category hands-down (and also the one that works best on me) is aquatics. Hmm.

I do also LOOOOOVE spicy scents, but I'm very picky about them. And I really like amber, when it plays nice. Looks like I'm neglecting earth and air :P.

Ah, I see why...it's the smoke association. Never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Anyway, I dunno. I'm interested in trying all the planetary scents but I only want to try Aries in the astrological scents, because it seems 'wrong' for me to try scents that are not connected with my sign, even though I have moon in Libra and Virgo rising and so on...maybe I could try those, but I'm not keen on trying scents that I have no planets in, such as Cancer, Leo, and Pisces...

I also find it odd that I'm into florals and find they go well with me despite my glaring water deficit (apparently, according to that site, florals are linked to water) in my chart (not as bad as my mum's complete lack of earth-she has no planets in earth whatsoever, and yet for some bizarre reason, she's really into gardening and digging into the earth!!! Doesn't make sense...)

I'm a big believer in astrology, but my choice in scent defies astrology.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I am intrigued by the whole astrology/tarot connection presented earlier in this thread, seeing as how The Hermit (which is battling Chokmah for title of Favourite BPAL Ever) is my most beloved card and most beloved BPAL oil, and there's apparently a Virgo connection.

Even if it weren't true, I'd still like to believe it anyway.  And now I have all the more reason to check out the Magician, with its Mercury connotations.  As if I needed a reason to spend more money....

[hijack]At least in the Crowley deck, The Hermit is the card that corresponds with Virgo (and The Magus with Mercury). There are also corresponding Court Cards and Minors, but I don't want to take this too far afield![/hijack]

Here's a tarot/astrology recommendations question: how do Crowley readers feel about the Tarot Oils? With a prominent Saturn and Moon in Libra, Adjustment and The Universe are cards that I feel connected to astrologically, but I'm unsure about ordering the corresponding Tarot Oils. Crowley readers who have tried Justice, Temperance, The World and Strength, what is your opinion of those oils?

I did find a website while looking into this, as I got curious and bored at work. (Imagine that!)

Astrology of Fragrance

I'm a Scorpio Sun, Aries Moon, and Saggitarius Rising .. so according to that site, I should be most attracted to the Fire and Water assosiacted scents .. and from their little list, I'd say that's about right.  Hmm.

According to them:

Woody and resin fragrances relate to the air signs.

Floral fragrances relate to the water signs.

Spicy and exotic fragrances relate to the fire signs.

Rich and earthy fragrances relate to the earth signs.

Fire (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius)

Earth (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn)

Air (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius)

Water (Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces)

Ok so I'm Libra (Air), with my moon in Scorpio (Water) and my Ascendant in Virgo (Earth).

Most of my favourite notes come under Fire apart from vanilla and coconut in Earth, so definitely I'm in the want what I lack camp.

I thought I'd add another interesting observation.

I have an imp of Mars *littlesquee* (smells of dragon's blood, cloves, cinnamon and another floral/sweet note I can't identify) and I find that the scent actually calms the Mars in me down, probably because I am an Aries with Mars as my ruling planet...and here's another thing. On me, that scent even takes on earthy qualities after a while-and my Mars is in Taurus...so in a bizarre way, the scent seems to be picking up on the Mars in my chart! But that could be coincidence. But then again, it shows how magical these blends are...

I had a working hypothesis that we're drawn to what we lack.  So if you have all kinds of fire in your chart, you'd want air types of scents to balance you out, for example.

Just another way to look at it.

You know, I explored this a while back. I have absolutely ZERO earth in my chart -- I am not kidding, I have NONE. So I decided to seek some balance through earthier blends.

I tried Burial, Zombi, Virgo, Taurus, and Tarot: The World.

They are all beyond horrid on me. They smell bitter and harsh, they make me feel dirty (as in literally unclean), and they make me feel dulled, weighed down, subdued, and depressed. (I should note that Taurus and The World weren't quite as bad as the others, but still were not good.) :D

Isn't that crazy? I really thought that adding the earth element would make me feel balanced and grounded and whole . . . but instead, it's as if my entire being just rejected earth. Like the totally foreign element that it is, I guess! :P

I just found it really interesting.

Regarding the moon sign thing, however -- I have found this to be true. My moon is in Leo, which plays out VERY accurately in my life. And when it comes to perfumes, I ADORE spicy, firey, warm blends. I love scents that flicker and twinkle and absolutely vibrate with heat. It is by far my favorite fragrance category.

I also like really crystal-clear scents like lotus and bright florals. This seems in harmony with the ridiculous amount of air in my chart. (Sun in Libra, Aquarious rising, and many many other planets in the air signs.)

To continue the exploration of this -- aquatics do not agree with me. I can wear them, and they don't have the awful emotional effects on me that earth scents do, but I just don't find them appealing and they tend to give me a headache. Obviously, there are a few exceptions, but generally aquatics are "meh" but not awful, and, as I said, earthy scents are the olfactory equivalent of burying me alive. Nevertheless, I have ordered Queen of Clubs, because I'm hoping her earthiness will be accompanied by a feminine, abundant vibe that I will be able to relate to more easily. So you see, the quest for balance continues . . .

:D

Hmm...I'm Aquarius sun/moon and Virgo rising. Lots of water and air elsewhere in the chart, too, it's insane.

Looking at that site categories, all the scents I LOVE are Firey, a few are earth, and quite a few of the scents I really dislike are Air, and most the ones in water I'm meh about. Is it because I lack fire in my chart and need balance, or is it because I love various spiciness in my foods and I like to smell like sweet sweet spicy food? :P

You know, there are some astrological theorists who perscribe to the belief of 12 celestials for 12 signs... meaning that two of them haven't been found yet.  Yes, I'm guilty of reading Linda Goodman.  Maybe I just don't *want* to see Virgo share a scatalogical planet with Gemini. 

I remember reading somewhere that the planet for Virgo is actually the asteroid belt... meaning the planet is nonexistant!  Oh phoo!

Another theory about the planet for Virgo (and I'll preface this by saying that the theory predates Star Trek :D ) is that Virgo's ruling planet is Vulcan. When Vulcan is discovered and comes more into our planetary consciousness, Virgo will lose some of the more hyper-picky perfectionism (which comes from a speedy, nervous planet like Mercury ruling a sign that naturally tends toward more depth and wisdom) and realize its full potential. Soooo, you think we're superior and smug NOW? Watch out! :P

Since I have about the most watery/feminine chart ever--Sun *and* Moon in Pisces, with Cancer ascendant, it is no surprise that I'm all about the girly florals. :P That also suggests that I lack everything else, which may be why I always want to dabble in non-florals, albeit with limited success.

I am very much a fire and earth sign (Sun and Moon in Leo, rising's Capricorn), and find it very interesting that for the most part I fare best with lighter fruitier and slightly floral scents.

I've recently discovered a love for cinnamon scents, though (including a few that don't burn my skin... either my skin chemistry's changed and the cinnamon blends I once couldn't wear I will have to try again, or there's just been some new ones that Beth's put out that don't bother me too much).

All in all, though, I've never found myself to act like the typical Leo (in my youth, maybe... but I became very introverted at one point in my life and have pretty much stayed that way for the rest of it, even if I don't seem that way on the forums)... what does this mean for me and my taste in scents? I've got no idea. :P

You know, there are some astrological theorists who perscribe to the belief of 12 celestials for 12 signs... meaning that two of them haven't been found yet.  Yes, I'm guilty of reading Linda Goodman.  Maybe I just don't *want* to see Virgo share a scatalogical planet with Gemini.

I remember reading somewhere that the planet for Virgo is actually the asteroid belt... meaning the planet is nonexistant!  Oh phoo!

Another theory about the planet for Virgo (and I'll preface this by saying that the theory predates Star Trek :D ) is that Virgo's ruling planet is Vulcan. When Vulcan is discovered and comes more into our planetary consciousness, Virgo will lose some of the more hyper-picky perfectionism (which comes from a speedy, nervous planet like Mercury ruling a sign that naturally tends toward more depth and wisdom) and realize its full potential. Soooo, you think we're superior and smug NOW? Watch out! :P

Bumping this with interest because that planet may have been found.

I wonder if you can combine those theories... celestial 11 is the asteroid belt and 12 is the new planet? Interesting. Not sure what that says about Virgos... maybe that the asteroid belt needs to be given some credit? Or maybe the new planet is Virgo's. Then who gets the asteroid belt: Libra or Taurus? Who gets to keep Venus?

I may have to get back into this a little. I was the ghostwriter for astrology.com nearly 10 years ago, and I have forgotten almost everything. Interestingly, for this thread, my chart is almost entirely air and water. Mentally I am drawn to the idea of fire. Most of my favorites are florals. Queen of Clubs is the first earth to work on me (I love Zombi but don't get "earth" from it; it's a green rose).

Hmmm.

Edited by spark

I'm an Aries sun, Pisces moon, and Leo rising. I'm actually a fan of aquatics myself, so I match up very well with my moon most of the time. But you're right in terms of ascending being what you present to the public. Whenever I go out for the night, I like something very sexy and lusty. Not necessarily fiery, but with some sweet musks and sensual scents.

So if Air = resins/woods, Earth = rich/earthy, Fire = spicy/exotic, and Water = florals (and aquatics?) - where do fruits fit in? I'm pretty damn fruity. :P

But on to my chart, and how it reflects (or fails to reflect) my scent preferences:

1. You like scents based on your sun sign because that is your basic nature. – I’m a Pisces, but I'm actually quite picky about my florals – I love iris, carnation and honeysuckle, but am either ambivalent about or actively dislike many others (rose... ugh!). I’m also assuming water signs “should” like aquatics, but they generally just smell like shower gel to me. I’m on the cusp of Aries, and I think I’m a fire sign at heart. Spicy and exotic scents? Hell, yes!

2. You like scents based on your moon sign because that is your emotional nature, and the sense of smell, and what is triggers, is connected to the emotional and subconscious realms. – Gemini moon; I like amber, incense (opoponax!) and sandalwood, so resins and dry woods are a good category for me.

3. You like scents based on your Ascendant or the chart ruler because scent is concerned with presentation, much like the ASC. – Gemini rising; See #2. In terms of the "presentation" aspect, I actually tend to like both fire and air signs here - strong, exotic, confident scents - that's how I like to present myself to those around me.

4. You like scents based on your Venus placement, because Venus is concerned with aesthetics. Venus in Aries – woo hoo, spicy goodness! Yes, spicy and exotic scents are very aesthetically pleasing to me!

5. You are drawn to scents that are connected with elements you lack in your chart, following the "we want what we lack" theory. My chart has a complete lack of earth signs (the version I did had 5 things in each of the other categories, so I’m evenly split between fire, water and air). I *hate* actually smelling like dirt, but an occasional “earthy” note like patchouli is OK in small doses. I’m not sure what they mean by “rich” fragrances – if they mean foody, I can’t do anything too sweet or buttery – the spicy fragrances in the fire signs category is probably more accurate for my foody preferences – so this one doesn’t ring true for me.

6. You are drawn to scents that are connected with your Eros, Lilith, Psyche, etc., because...well, I'm not entirely sure. – I couldn’t find Eros and Psyche as an option on the astro.com chart I did, but Lilith was in Pisces… and I’ve already discussed how “not me” my sun sign is.

So, kind of hit-or-miss for me. I find the total lack of earth fascinating, for some reason. I think there's a smidge of earth when I take the houses into account - but I'm really not knowledgeable enough re: astrology to know what all the houses mean anyway.

Hey everyone! I thought I saw a similar thread awhile back but now I can't find it so....mods, if there is one please let me know and all that. :P

I'm interested in scent recommendations specifically for attracting a Gemini but I'm also interested in what you all think about scent preference relating to your sun sign. For example I'm a Cancer and I tend to like warm comforting scents, watery blends and scents that remind me something I like; places, foods, etc....... So for me there seems to be a correlation. Thoughts?

I'm a Cancer (an uber-Cancer, in fact), and I can't deal with aquatics (headaches), I'm not much for foody scents for the most part.

I think so much of this is skin chemistry and associations (he might, hypothetically, love or hate jasmine because of a memory of someone who wore it) that astrology (and I am an astro-head) is just not something I will take into account on this topic.

I'm a Cancer (an uber-Cancer, in fact), and I can't deal with aquatics (headaches), I'm not much for foody scents for the most part.

I think so much of this is skin chemistry and associations (he might, hypothetically, love or hate jasmine because of a memory of someone who wore it) that astrology (and I am an astro-head) is just not something I will take into account on this topic.

I think you're definitely right about skin chemistry and associations but I just wanted to get a general feel for what a Gemini would hypothetically be attracted to. And in more of a theoretical way for example; would a Leo be attracted to more dominant scents because of that personality trait? Or would it be an opposite reaction because they don't like competition.

What scents do you tend to like? And actually many acquatics give me a headache too....it's only Beth's blends that I can handle.

Me? woods and incences, resins, musks, a few florals. I don't like most commercial perfumes/colognes...headaches, or cloying. I've tried a few things on the hub, but I haven't found one I'm that thrilled about yet (and he could care, really). I am attracted to warm scents, golden or earthy or red toned if that makes sense. I think what I like to smell on me is what I like to smell on anyone around me - and I'm fortunate when some of those things actually work on my skin.

I suppose this should make me a mutable earth or maybe fixed fire...but no, I'm tons-o-water...almost no fire, equally small proportions of earth and air. mostly cardinal water, too.

eta: ok, so I consider some of the right-at-the-top social qualities of the signs and think about what, therefore, might attract...a gemini might like a really complex blend with a lot of notes to notice and contemplate, avoiding the obviously foody connotation a cancer might like to smell a scent they find warm and comforting or homey, and that leo might like something as much of a supahstah as they are. a libra wants a balanced blend, a taurus would like to smell something that smells expensive or rich or otherwise exquisitely beautiful, a scorpio a deeper, darker scent, er....

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

I am a Leo and I can't believe all the Leos haven't come rampaging over yet, to carry out about being a sun sign. What, Leos, carrying on about themselves? :P

Anyway, on others, I tend to like dark, earthy scents (vetiver, patchouli), leather, tobacco, chocolate and musk. I also like vanilla. And some green scents, but moreso when they are combined with earthy scents. Generally, really warm-to-hot scents, like cinnamon and ginger aren't my favorites unless they're mellowed with something. I think it depends on how much fire is in your sun sign person, but the really "hot" scents tend to make me wince. I'm not big on aquatics, on me or anyone else.

I am a Leo and I can't believe all the Leos haven't come rampaging over yet, to carry out about being a sun sign. What, Leos, carrying on about themselves? ;)

Anyway, on others, I tend to like dark, earthy scents (vetiver, patchouli), leather, tobacco, chocolate and musk. I also like vanilla. And some green scents, but moreso when they are combined with earthy scents. Generally, really warm-to-hot scents, like cinnamon and ginger aren't my favorites unless they're mellowed with something. I think it depends on how much fire is in your sun sign person, but the really "hot" scents tend to make me wince. I'm not big on aquatics, on me or anyone else.

:P :D

ya know ms. valentina the scents you just described in the first part of your post are the darker, evil gem twin that lurks inside me...

but i do adore "hot'n'spicy" scents as well...and certain deep, dark aquatics are my

friend too...that is my "other side"...cuz we are all about the duality baby...

duality :D :)