Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

The search for "Clean" scents - general discussion

Oh wow, thank you so much for all the comments and recommendations! I think Envy is now off my list for sure, and I forgot to mention that I do have an imp of Dirty. It's nice and fresh, but somehow it didn't immediately strike me as something I would wear a lot. It seems to come out smelling very strong on me at first, then fades to something I can't get my finger on. I'm not as fond of it as the others I listed.

And I do like lavender scents (only for when I am heading to bed or want to really relax), so I'll probably try out Quietude.

More comments/input are very welcome. Thank you.

Edited by maiea

I just have to drop by and squee for enabling you to come here. I´ve gotten some great tips on new things to try on this thread, since Sea of Glass and Tempest are favourites of mine. Pool of tears, here I come.

I´m shopping for imps while waiting for the update-to-end-all-updates. :pets paypal balance:

Quietude and Severin are two of my favorite fresh scents. I second the recommendation on Aizen-Myoo. You might also like Cheshire Cat (grapefruit, chamomile), House of Night (smells to me like ivy, pine and night-blooming flowers) and Peony Moon, which is an LE you might find an imp of on swaps. Of the Somnium blends, I'd most recommend Temple of Dreams for a clean lavender. Oh, and definitely try Whitechapel for the lilac of Sea of Glass plus a fresh taste of citrus.

Tempest is gorgeous---I'm a clean scent girl too and it's in my top three. It really does smell like the ground just before it rains. Clear and beautiful.

I found Dublin to be really clean and fresh. Numb (a limited edition) is violet-y fresh, if you like that. It didn't work out for me. If you're interested in minty and Envy sounds too sharp, I'd suggest trying your luck with Hamadryad (some people get mint; some get cinnamon... :P ) and a fresh imp of Shattered (mint and grapefruit! It's really pretty.) I'd also add Katharina- fresh and fruity. If you're interested in tea scents, I'd suggest Dorian, Alice, White Rabbit and Embalming Fluid. I can't get by without recommending Alice, lately. Heh. The rose is just SO pretty and light. (I am not into florals, generally speaking.) Hungry Ghost Moon is a limited edition and it is very light and lovely, to my nose.

Bewitched was a very nice green tea and blackberry on me. It was a true blackberry, not something that smelled like an imitation. And the green tea was really nice.

Kumiho, Alice, and Maiden are clean and feminine. Dorian is sporty (at least on me) very clean. So is Dirty. Sudha Segura isn't particularly bracing, but it is a warm tea-like scent that can really be wonderful. If your skin takes to them, Embalming Fluid and Wilde are tops, too.

So the other day I was wearing this new outfit from the Gap, and I just felt like all my bpal was too... heavy, if that makes any sense. So I'm looking for somethign that smells... sheer and white. I usually like fruity things, but I feel like I would need a floral for this. Something that isn't overwhelming. The closest thing that I have is Alice, but it gets a little overpowering after it's been on a while. Thanks for the help.

Katharina!! Yemaya, too! Possibly Uruk! But definitely Katharina.

Although the one that immediately sounds ideal is Snow-Flakes.

Sheer and white -- the first thing that came to mind for me was Mr. Ibis from The Carousel. It's a lovely skin scent.

If you want a sheer white floral, perhaps something along the lines of Eternal. It feels lighter to me than the other white florals that I've tried (I'm thinking specifically of The Evening Star here). Morella would be a fabulous choice, if you can get your hands on some. It's a past LE, but I'd think you could find it in swaps. Berenice (from the same collection) didn't work on my skin, but if it worked with your chemistry it would probably be perfect.

My other "clean, fresh" BPALs tend to be aquatics -- Olokun, Thalassa, Storm Moon -- or things like F5, which don't exactly sound like what you're looking for.

My clean and fresh variety-six-pack of imps would be -

Szepasszony

Kumiho

Embalming Fluid

Moonrose

Maiden

Sea of Glass

All different kinds of clean and fresh.....

Embalming Fluid! White musk, green tea, aloe and lemon. On me it's mainly lemon and white musk, with added compliments. :P

Edited to get the note order right.

Edited by dzurlady

I've been on the same hunt!!! Sheer and white, not overly floral or fruity, just a nice, clean, fresh scent. Here's what I've liked, but some more than others:

The Tavern of Hell: This one may be a little heavy but it turned out quite fresh on me. White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey

The Apothecary: Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

51: This one is quite fresh! Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats

The Pool of Tears: A sea of salty tears drowning out Alice's light floral perfume.

Tweedledum: don't let the patchouli fool you, the mango and green tea were the most prominent notes on me. Give it try. Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

The Ghost: This lists several flowers but it was quite faint and sheer on me. A thin, sinuous, creeping chill, the scent of glee-filled undeath: white iris, osmanthus, Calla lily, tomb-crawling ivy and a coffin spray of gladiolus, lisianthus and delphinium.

Zephyr: A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

I'd recommend...

Antique Lace (A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes)

Dirty (A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy)

Dorian (A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea)

Whitechapel (White musk, lime, lilac and citron)

Of the four, Antique Lace and Dorian are my favorites, though Whitechapel and Dirty may be more of what you're looking for. The lighter scents tend to disappear from my skin faster, so I tend to wear heavier ones (for example, Alice is one of my lighter scents).

I'd say:

Aizen-Myoo

Embalming Fluid

Shanghai

Kumiho

Sea of Glass

Obatala/Milk Moon 07

The Apothecary

Yemaya

Fire Pig

Xanthe, the Weeping Clown

Talvikuu

Generally, when I think "clean and fresh", I think of aquatics/ozone and wet fruits...the composition of the list above reflects that. This is generally the category of scents I like to wear the most, since many of the notes are agreeable with my skin, so your mileage may vary with some of the things, most notably the "bubblegummy" note that some people get in Xanthe and Yemaya.

Also another word of caution, Obatala and Milk Moon 07 smell exactly alike on me, though Obatala is more "fresh" when wet, I suppose.

The Unicorn :P

I second this! Also, I second the votes for Embalming Fluid and Whitechapel.

Also, White Rabbit is linen and teas and it smells so light and pretty. And Garden Path with Chickens is really fresh and grassy--you can't help but feel summery and renewed.

But if you are looking for something in the Limited Editions variety you must try F5---it is the BEST fresh, clean, white, light scent ever.

You can never go wrong with Embalming Fluid. I would also recommend Eternal or Danube.

Allow me to chuck my vote in for Maiden, which is a blend of white tea, Damask rose, and carnation. It's a fairly effortless, light, sweet scent that just makes you feel pretty. As an added bonus, even if roses don't work on you (they are awful on me), Maiden should still be fine!

Maybe Endymion? It's a pretty, fruity white floral, Dana O'shea could work but give Whitechapel a go though.

I'd second the rec of the Unicorn, but also add The Hanging Gardens.

I second Szepasszony!

I'd third this recommendation - I tested a friend's imp the other day, and it was gorgeously light, slightly green, and very fresh; airy even. I ordered an imp straight away :P