Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

The search for "Clean" scents - general discussion

Hey everybody,

I'm into a guy right now who always compliments me when I wear Fresh Citrus & Basil from B&BW, they don't make it anymore. It's a nice, clean, fresh smell. Does BPAL have anything similar I might want to add to my next order to entice him a bit closer? :P

*Edited by ivyandpeony: Merged several older topics searching for clean recs and changed title to reflect this.

Edited by ivyandpeony

Hi Viscious Mistress...

I did a quick search and came up with these scents... I linked the reviews so you can see if any catch your fancy.

Enbalming Fluid

Cheshire Cat

Baobhan Sith

Envy

Phobos

The Star

Jabberwocky

I've not tried any of these yet, I like vanilla, spicy and floral. But there are plenty of great feedback in the reviews. We have some mad sensitive noses here!

I think Queen of Hearts is the "cleanest" scent i've ever smelled. My husband loves it because it smells like his favorite detergent, so he say. I also think Rosalind smells quite clean in a fresh, grassy way, and I would consider Kitsune-Tsuki to be clean in a polite, purply sorty of way.

Hope that helps, and you might also use the search function for "clean" in the reviews board only to see what turns up. Good luck!

I think that both Water of Notre Dame and Van Van - two of the Voodoo Blends - are very clean smelling, and calming on top of that. I love them. They're a herbaly-clean sort of smell.

Some great ideas above, especially: Embalming Fluid (I think you will love this), The Star and Kitsune-Tsuki.

Kumiho and / or The Apothecary (quite similar on me) might also suit and my big love at the moment is Pain (lavender + pennyroyal) especially when layered with The Star.

How did I miss the review for Embalming Fluid that says it smells kinda like Calyx from Prescriptives? I LOVE that scent! I will definitely have to add it to my order.

The Cool Citrus & Basil doesn't smell citrusy at all to me, strangely enough. It's a unisex smell that smells cool and herbally. I'm trying to figure out the recipe for it so I can make my own. If anyone has any ideas on what else might be in it, I'd appreciate the input. I've got a couple of the herbally-fresh imps to put on my order, so hopefully one of them will be what I want.

Thanks!

It's too bad that B&BW stopped making Fresh Citrus & Basil--that was a good one. I snapped up a trial size for a buck at an outlet store.

I'm a newbie here and so can't tell you what smells like that but out of the few scents I have tried, I would have to say that Lightning is probably the freshest followed closely by Queen of Hearts.

If you're looking for bbw dupes, have a look at mmu cosmetics website. There are tons of scents on the scent bar menu. Mind you, while the mmu fragrances are nice, I've tried a few they can't hold a candle to Beth's magical elixirs. Beth is a master perfumer.

Good luck and enjoy your first order.

I am sort of a newbie myself, but I can highly recommend Zephyr. It is a light, clean smelling floral with white musk with citrus accents. It is my favorite (so far).

Thanks, everybody! I put in my order today (see Introductions--it's almost exactly the same since some of the ones you recommended were already there) but completely forgot to add Embalming Fluid. :P Hopefully I'll get it as a freebie. :D

I might be a little late on this, but I also love clean scents, and can highly recommend

Embalming Fluid

Baobhan Sith

Kumiho

Tempest

Old Shanghai

These are all very citrusy.

I also find Loup Garou to be very clean smelling, but in a clean woody sort of way instead of a citrus clean way.

Old Shanghai might be the cleanest thing I've ever smelled.

All good choices above, but I'd have to add Tears and Lightning

I liked Ingenue. It's very "clean" smelling with green, fresh undertones.

Why can't I find a description of it anywhere? Is it new?

I liked Ingenue.  It's very "clean" smelling with green, fresh undertones.

Why can't I find a description of it anywhere?  Is it new?

If you're looking for reviews, they're right here. If you're searching for it on the Lab's site, it's under Love Potions - and the "find" function of your browser might not work because there's an accent over the first e.

I can't find Ingenue on the website.. I thought it was discontinued?

DISCLAIMER: before anybody panics about Ingenue being discontinued, I don't know if it is. I can't find it on the website, and am merely speculating whether it might be discontinued. Thank you.

it hasn't been there since the search engine came around... i daresay it was discontinued with hellfire...

uhm, and if it was there (which it's not), i would have checked it as being discontinued, which means it wouldn't be showing up in the search

Well, I should probably check these things before I lie to y'all... :D

It still might be an oversight - I remember that in the last update before this one, Ingenue and Vicomte de Valmont were listed as available on the Shiny & New page but never made it onto the Love Potions page. However, Vicomte is there now, and not Ingenue... :P

I'll wait for confirmation from Beth before leaving a "discontinued" note in the Ingenue topic title in Reviews. And if it is gone... well, at least I got to try it... :D

Hi! When you said *clean* these came to mind right away!

Naiad

Boabahn Sith

Pain

Tempest

I'll wait for confirmation from Beth before leaving a "discontinued" note in the Ingenue topic title in Reviews.  And if it is gone... well, at least I got to try it...  :D

i left a note for beth & brian asking about hemlock & ingenue, we'll see what they say :P

I received my first BPAL order last week, and I plan on placing another one soon. Here's my dilemma, though. I don't like real "perfumey" scents. They give me a headache and aggravate my allergies.

I'm wondering, first of all, if I should be using less of the BPAL scents or maybe dilute them. What do you all think?

And second, can you recommend some good, clean scents? Thus far, I like Snake Oil , Pain (which actually helps my headaches), and Old London.

Thanks!!

As far as good clean scents go, my first two recommendations are Embalming Fluid and Tears. Both of those are very clean smelling to me. Neither of them smell like traditional perfumes, and each of them has a distinct (and different) feel to them.

If you liked Pain, you just might like Tempest, which also has some lavender in it, but still maintains a clean scent that is not like a traditional perfume.

Another one you might really like is Viola, which has rose and spice (kinda like a combination of the florals in Old London and the spice of Snake Oil, and throw in some earthiness. Not a "clean" scent, but a really delightful one.

Another one you might enjoy is Old Morocco, which has some of the spices that Snake Oil has, but doesn't have the vanilla in it. Instead it's got carnations and red sandalwood, and a bunch of stuff that makes it feel like a very dry, woody scent with good spice to it. The dryness makes it smell "clean" to me, but in a very warm sort of way.

A really popular rose scent is Spellbound, which musk and amber in it, but I hear it's really, really good smelling. If you liked old London, you just might like this.

Oh, and speaking of rose and clean scents, maybe give Delerium a shot. It's got the lemon, apple and rose, and I can't imagine it being at all heavy or perfumey. Infact, the lemon notes tend to make a perfume feel a bit more clean to me, so maybe this will be the case here.

And Othello might be another one to try, since it's got three different roses and those same middle eastern spices that work so well in Snake Oil and Old Morocco (well, they might not be exactly the same, but... you get the idea).

Also, Lucy's Kiss might be another one to try.

I could keep going, but I think at this point I'll give someone else the chance to recommend a few, and myself a chance to go to bed. :P Hope that this helps.