Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Casanova

… Who says librarians can’t be sexy? A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

Imp Opinion
This smells like a MAN in the best way possible! Leathery lavendar, but nothing flowery or herbal about that.

Wet on Wrist
Oh boy. This makes my mouth water in a strange and embarrassing way. I would put this on my man, but on my wrist I can sniff it all the time!

Dry Down
Casanova is blended so well I can't really pick out the independent notes or understand how they're working so well. As this dries, it retains all the yummy masculine scents of rich warm brown leather of a book and whatever combo of these other things that make me think of a slightly stubbled chin of a sexy rich older man.

Fade
Stays strong and true for about an hour, then wears to a delicate version of itself, with less leather and more herbal clean.

Feel
I don't think this is too masculine to wear if you like, although it would probably knock hoards of women to the floor on a good looking guy. I would follow this smell to Hades.

Final Thoughts
Try this for the man in your life, or for yourself, or for your body pillow, or your dog.

In the imp: Straight up lavender and bergamot.

Wet: It turns kinda leathery... With patchouli. The lavender is still very strong.

Dry: I really like this dry, the lavender softens and it smells like an old leather-bound book with patchouli leaves in between the pages.

Very masculine, so I probably won't wear it very often but I'd love to test it on a guy.

This scent was sharp and astringent on me, and reminded me of a man's deodorant. Not for me, not even a little bit. I can't really detect any specific notes in particular, I think I'm too hung up on the deodorant reminder.

Wet on my skin, Casanova is a sharp, bright lavender/lemon combination. It's much more cheery than I'd expect for a sexy librarian. After a few minutes, darker notes start to appear. This is still a very high-pitched scent, but there is a little bit of leather lurking with tonka in the background. At this point, Casanova is a very headache-inducing cologne on my skin. Something about this does not agree with me, and I think I'm going to wash it off in a minute.

Well, I got lazy, and I'm glad. After about 20 minutes more, Casanova smoothed out and now smells eerily like The Bow and Crown of Conquest, which I love. However, since I already have a bottle of that, Casanova is not a keeper.

Edited by calivianya

In the bottle: I smell a bit of leather (that reminds me of cars, somehow) and bergamot. The overall impression is of a very pleasant car smell (I hate those pine trees, they never smell properly).

On my skin: Aftershave! I can't tell the notes but it smells like aftershave or a perfume that my father used to wear. After a couple of minutes I can catch a very pleasant whiff of the leather. I like this leather; it is soft and unobtrusive and feels comfy and well worn. After 10 minutes or so, all I get is the comfy leather. It makes me want to snuggle in it. I also get a hint of spicyness that might be the amber but I am not sure.

Drydown: The same comfy lather smell with a hint of spice.

Overall: I think it is a bit masculine and simple on me,even though I like this leather note.

Amaaaazing dude scent!!! I'm getting lavender and citrus mostly, but in the most masculine way. I would want my man to smell like this. It smells like a clean, rugged guy. Too masculine for me to wear, but I LOVE it!! :twisted:

Casanova

In the imp: The way all the scents come together, this blend smells almost minty, in a way. Minty in a lavender/anise/bergamot kind of way. It's intriguing, and more light than I was expecting.

On my skin: Like everyone else has said, this scent is pretty manly. It's got almost a cologne aura to it, in a way that some men's colognes smell a bit "overdone" - on my fiance it's a little more herbal, but on me I'm getting hits of Obsession (the cologne). It's nowhere near as offensive as those synthetic fragrances, but that's what it is on me, in a way. It's not what I would choose my man to smell like (I much prefer Dracul or Perversion) but it's a nice smell in and of itself. I like it, just not on me or my man :D

ITI: Hmm, interesting. I get anise, like directly from the plant, paired with leather and a little patchouli.

Wet: Lavender is now at the forefront, but not by mush as the anise comes in shortly behind. There are mid tones of lemon peel and patchouli, but the leather, which usually amps on my skin, has become non-existent for now.

Dry: Now that it is dry, the leather amps, but it turns slightly soapy when paired with the lavender and lemon peel. There are faint undertones of tonka and amber, but this strikes me as more of a male's scent.

I tried this without checking the notes and I have to say I'm shocked. Looking at the ingredients this should've been so much win - the worst thing listed is the lemon peel, and maybe the anise which I haven't tried before. All the other notes work so well on me and I specifically wanted this because I love tonka.

How did it end up such a muddle? From start to finish I could detect none of the individual notes and instead this was a like very strong, very unimpressive bundle of flowers. It was so floral and entirely reminiscent of bath products or soap and absolutely feminine. I know that my skin tends to sweeten everything so that scents everyone else feels are masculine become or dark become (at the very least) gender neutral and light, but how did I get flowers from leather, patchouli and tonka? I have no idea.

He is off to the swaps. I'm glad actually as I don't want to be in love with a discontinued scent.

In the imp: citrus! With dark and round scents underneath.

Wet: ashes and leather.

Dry: intially, spicy citrused leather with a rather sexy snarl. The patchouli is really giving it some oomph, but it's not dominating -- it's being held in check by the amber and leather accord, and the tonka starts to come through on me after about ten minutes. This ends up very warm, and very rich, and very mus[k|t]y on me, in all the best ways - it's not quite faded cologne and old books, but it's somewhere in that delicious vicinity.

Pondering a bottle!

Wet: Bright and smokey. Like bergamot and the toast crumbs at the bottom of the toaster that have been toasted for the umteenth time.

Drydown: Unff. This is manly in the best way. A strong gust of herbs and clean musk with a bit of tonka, leather, and woodsiness following close behind.

Cozy leather and patchouli ground the scent, with a smokey, animalistic oomph. Over it are layers of musky amber tarted up by citrus and a green-leaning lavender. Just a trace of anise ties the layers together, giving it a "what is that?" quality. It's not remotely shy, but it is decidedly smart. Whoever said sexy librarian nailed it.

Dry: Similar to the drydown but smoother. The perfect balance of earthy/woodsy and sophisticated. Warm, sexy, smooth, and refined. If I were a man or in a masculine mood, this would be my go-to scent.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24
(updated to include more recent impressions)

Got a lot of lemon and bergamot at first, and the lavender is a very strong second. The leather and patchouli must be the amazing deep notes that make this such an amazing scent. I love it, despite being of the feminine persuasion, and it smelled amazing on my fella.

Time to hunt down a bottle.

Wet: Primarily leather, with a little bit of lavender.

Dry: Cologne and leather. The lavender faded, and I'm not really sure what's adding to the sweetness; probably the lemon peel.

Leather can sometimes amp on me to headache-inducing, but it seems to be OK here. Still not my cup of tea, though.

Edited by donkehpoo

Casanova is a strong, citrusy men's cologne on me. I wear a lot of unisex scents, but this bordered on too masculine even for me. And it's a higher-pitched cologne scent than what I usually wear. The leather didn't really emerge on me until drydown, and then it was really nice, but while wet it had so much throw that it made me self-conscious (I don't usually get much throw at all, so I'm not really used to broadcasting my scent in other people's faces). I think this would be terrific on someone with a more masculine presentation and a lot of self-assurance.