Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Cabaret

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:black'><span style='font-family:Georgia'>From the Bewitching Brews collection:

Decadent, flamboyant, and fiercely seductive! Passionate red musk mixed with jasmine and wisteria.

This is another of Beth's "second-skin" fragrances, as the red musk and jasmine intertwine with each other to balance the earthy and sweet notes of the scent. Wisteria keeps this fairly light, and the combination of the three has an unexpected, definite sexiness about it. I don't get flamboyant, but fiercely seductive I can go with.

Subtle, but alluring. Sweet, but not fruity or stickily so. The jasmine isn't overpowering, the musk isn't blatantly animalistic, and the wisteria isn't too pale or light.

I immediately bought a bottle of this one.</span></span></span>

I was enchanted by the name as well as the description of Cabaret, but I don't feel the scent matches the name.

First Impression: I found this quite strong in the bottle and wet, the jasmine was so out there.

Second Impression: Still strong while drying, but the jasmine is brought back down by the sexy musk underneath. This reminded me of a French prostitue who was transported through time to Woodstock where she got lost in the hippie culture.

Final Analysis: It softened quite a bit more than I thought it would. This is a sexy scent but I didn't really work as a second to my skin.

ADDED July 20:

I received an imp of Cabaret as an extra from the Lab and love sure is lovleier the second time around.

First Impression: The scent changed or my tastes have, because I love this.

Second Impression: Sexy and musky, juicy sweet. How did I not like this the first time????

Final Analysis: A keeper, that red musk note gets me every time.

First sniff: At first sniff I don’t really like Cabaret. It seems to be a very heavy powdery floral with not much going on.

Wearing: Much better! Soft jasmine, but not overpoweringly sweet, and something pale blue bringing it back down a bit. It’s still a tiny bit powdery, but not annoyingly so - much nicer on me.

Unfortunately, I desperately needed hand lotion fairly soon after I applied, so it quickly disappeared under the weird nondescript scent of Helping Hands, but I'm definitely trying it on again.

This imp is for my sister, the chanteuse in the family--I expect to hear her in a cabaret one of these days--but I get to review it first! :D

The oil is about the color of Snake Oil--a rich, reddish gold.

In the vial: Warm floral--I really smell the wisteria in there; reminds me of Eternal, but a more robust version (Eternal is so sad and wistful to me).

On me, wet: Sweetly floral--I know it's wisteria and jasmine, but it's much like gardenia when you put the two together. I imagine a torch singer with a gardenia in her hair...vulnerable, a bit melancholy, but still sexy and strong. Not getting the musk yet.

Drydown: The florals calm down and the touch of musk is very nice and warming. Not me (I prefer rose or white floral), but I'll bet my sister will love it. It smells confident and feminine--just like she is on stage. :P

Right out of the imp this is a little bit smoky and a little bit wine-y. And I suddenly have the Donny and marie song in my head. Darnit! Go'way! When I think of a cabaret I instantly think of the musical .. especially the Liza Minelli version put to television. Miss Sally Bowles would indeed wear this scent.

After first putting it on it takes on a more 'body heat' scent. This is the scent that lingers in the room when decadent men and women gather for a night of wine, tobacco, women and song. It's women's perfume blended with sweet wine, and the lusty musk of temptation rippling through it all.

This stays somewhat 'warm' as it were, but it's a sultry warmth that invades your senses. More floral now as it's settled into my skin, dark and tempting. Seems to be sticking around pretty well soo, and is definitely a keeper.

Cabaret

When first applied I get a brief whiff of the red musk before jasmine overwhelms my nose (normal reaction from jasmine on my skin).

As this dries the red musk is back. Cabaret smells rich, almost as though there is wine in it. Just realised why, something made me think of winegums…

This is lovely on the occasions when I can get my nose past the jasmine. As much as I love jasmine, my skin amplifies it to an unbearable point in many (not all!!) of the oils that contain it.

Cabaret

First Impression

When I first smelled this, all I could smell was the jasmine, but...there was something in there that was absolutely sexual and I knew that I had encountered it in other blends. Sure enough, it was the red musk. Take all of the sweet floral of jasmine and then thicken it with that sexual scent and you get: cabaret. Fitting. The wisteria is there too, the until-now unidentified floral.

Wearing It

Apparently me skin likes wisteria. The jasmine, in a rare occurance, actually takes turns with the wisteria for the dominate floral. And make no mistake: this is a floral, floral scent. Sweet, heady flowers. The only thing that makes it different from other florals is that really charged, sexual musk sliding past the jasmine and wisteria and making me do a double take.

All in all, I probably won't wear this because I have a really large dislike of florals. But that red musk is something else! I already own Scherezade, which is the most incredible red musk blend... But this is convincing me to search out more of the red musk blends.

Hmm, didn't realize this was discontinued - I got this as a gift from Beth. I must admit I expected to hate it, as I absolutely hated the movie Cabaret after being forced to watch it for what seemed like forty-seven hours in hebrew school, so I expected to similarly dislike the scent of this.

I was nicely surprised. The musk part of this is lovely, very strong, but beautiful. Unfortunately, after about fifteen minutes this turned too all jasmine on me and jasmine and I don't get on. At all. Which is really too bad, because the red musk is gorgeous. I can't wait to get an imp of Scherehazade.

Well, I'm sure someone will love getting their hands on more of this one - to the swap pile you go!

In the imp it's a dark, musky, slightly earthy scent, but once it hits my skin it changes rapidly!

At first I get a hit of sweet, strong flowers, with the jasmine dominating, and as soon as it gets drier the musk comes through quite strongly. There's something very unusual about this blend that makes me feel as if I've spent all night in a dark bar filled with booze and cigar smoke and people having more than just fun. It's very aptly named!

Cabaret, on me, is a heavy, sensual scent and I like it a lot. It makes me feel very grown up. :P

It gets much lighter after a while but never loses the sensuality.

Edited by Dinah

I like this. Warm, energizing, flirty, sexy jasmine. I guess the musk is what makes it warm. I would wear this to go out dancing, especially on a night when I'm not feeling especially sexy and need a boost of confidence.

In bottle: Smells like old women's perfume. How to explain that? It smells like the bottles of perfume my grandmother had sitting on her boudoir for 40 years, bottles three-quarters empty, scents that she has been faithful to for years, ever since her youthful days when she was young and sexy. The sexyness of the scent remains, but it is faint, washed away with time.

On me: Now that I've described the impression from the bottle, I'll try to describe the scent itself on my skin. It's jasmine, but a wild jasmine. Usually jasmine is overwhelming on my skin, powerfully floral. However, in this blend it is tempered and twisted by something - probably the red musk - into a darker fragrance more akin to my chemistry. Faintly, I can smell the wisteria too. It still has the grandmother's feel to it, so I shan't keep it, but I am sorry it is discontinued, because it is pretty and I'd wear it were it not for the memories it triggers.

In the bottle: I got this one jsut because of the name. :P It smells like a faint generic perfume. Not cheap, which is almost more of what I was expecting from the name. Not because I think anything Beth would make to be cheap, but because when I think of a cabaret show, I think more trashy than elegant.

First on: Mostly jasmine. The musk is sitting nicely in the back, making it a seductive floral.

Drydown: It stays a nice floral musk. I was lucky enough to snag a half way full bottle from someone, which makes me very happy. :D

I got this as a giftie from Allidavie but apparently never did review it ... I thought I would love this or at the very least be transported back to high school based on the notes (I was a HUGE fan of Love's Musky Jasmin Flower back in the day) ... But instead I apparently got someone else's high school experience. Someone who liked fruity perfume and had big hair. I can really see someone from the 70s 80s legwarmers and flash dance period loving this.

On a scale of 1-5, maybe a high 2.

When I first put this on I got alot of the red musk, I love musk very very much, but after 5 minutes the jasmine comes out full force. It does calm down after a bit and the musk is able to make an appearance again, this is a definite musky floral scent on me and I love it!!! Of course I will probably love anything with musk in it :P

Bottle (Imp): Kinda musky.

Just On: I am pretty much getting all musk out of this.

An hour or two later: It's a nice soft musky scent.

Around 6 hours: Faded into a mild musk, a skin scent if you will.

12 hours: It's completely gone.

Overall: This is a musk I can wear, but probably not one I'd reach for often. It might layer really nicely with other scents. ALl in all, it doesn't hurt my feelings that it's discontinued, but it's a nice enough scent that I imagine others might miss it a lot.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I didn't get the jasmine that so many others did.

Wet - hello wisteria! I expected the red musk to be the dominate note here, and I can smell it, but the wisteria is sweetening it up to the point that it's nearly unrecognizable.

Dry - I was really expecting to love this, as I love red musk and jasmine, but this is all wisteria, with just a tiny bit of red musk in the background. I get a bit of jasmine, but it's faint. Reading the reviews, I think that whichever floral you like the least it what you smell the strongest. I like jasmine and don't get much of it at all. Sadly, this is too floral for me, and the sexuality of the red musk never manages to overcome the flowers.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

Cabaret is an intensely musky floral on me. It's the sort of heavy floral that can induce a vicious migraine in under five minutes :P

My skin seriously amps up jasmine, and that is what I smell mostly after applying Cabaret. It is very smoky, sickeningly sweet jasmine. The red musk underneath the jasmine is turning sharp and smoky on me as well.

This would probably work on someone who loves jasmine or traditional perfumey florals... but this is exactly what I don't like in a fragrance.

Cabaret

In the imp: deep jasmine, with musk. Smells gorgeous!

Wet on skin: I love the jasmine in this, it smells so real and so true to the flower, and there's a wonderful musk background.

Dry on skin: this is beautiful…the jasmine note in here smells just like Attar Bazaar's Tunisian Jasmine, or even that little posy of jasmine flowers that I was given in Tunisia. Beautiful fresh jasmine blooms, rich and heady…with a wonderful, sensuous red musk background, and a smidgen of wisteria. This is captivating and delightful.

After a while: there's a slight almondy scent to this that is reminiscent of heliotrope. But that's not listed as a component…interesting. I also get more wisteria at this stage, but there's still that good strong jasmine note.

Verdict: if there was another round of resurrected discontinued scents, I'd love to see this return. This scent has one of the truest jasmine notes I've smelt in a BPAL, and it's coupled with delectable red musk and a whisper of wisteria. This scent is exotic, sexy, feminine, and voluptuous. I am now going to try my best to hunt down at least an imp of this rarity…why did this get axed?

In the bottle: Alcoholic wisteria with jasmine stumbling behind.

On the skin: Jasmine tempered by red musk and a hint of wisteria. Jasmine is usually a note that overpowers all others on my skin, so it's nice to find a formulation in which it shares the stage with some of the other players. My boyfriend took a sniff of the test dot and said, "Nice!"

at first: musky, sweet, and floral.

on: warm, sweet, and musky. lovely.

1 hour later: soft jasmine and musk, with a hint of another floral note.

3 hours later: jasmine and something woodsy. i think the red musk is turning on me.

overall: red musk and i just do not get along. it's turned into something more reminiscent of wood than musk.

Cabaret - from the DC circular swap.

In the imp: Red musk and alcohol. If it already smells like BO in the imp, can it possible be ok on my skin??

On me/wet: Ummm, probably not. I don't really like red musk, and can barely smell the florals.

Drydown: Actually, the worst of the musky smell goes away and it turns much sexier....wait, I lied. :D I smell awful. Really, really awful.

No red musk for Deb. No! :P

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Mmmm, this is really sexy. The red musk is very sensual, and the jasmine smells sensual rather than pretty. I can't detect wisteria but I'm not sure what it really smells like.

In Bottle: Jasmine and musk staraght forward

On Skin: I smell the sweet jasmine right away, mixed with the wisteria I get a light violet tone. Very floral, very pretty. The red musk also makes itself known just as quick, it’s not hiding. It warms the scent up very well giving a very seductive edge. The musk does have a feral note to it, but nothing overwhelming like civet goes on me. The scent is very sweet, and if I sniff it for too long, I get a *slight* Play-Dough note… but not enough that it turns me off. This smells very vintage and it brings to mind a slightly seedy seduction… just a little naughty. I love it! Sadly, it is very faint… I’d need to slather this one I think. Or maybe it’s intentionally soft to make people lean in and really get close to experience it. Very low throw and short wearlength. Still I’d love to have more… it’s a gorgeous blend.

In the imp: red musk

On the skin – my initial impression is musk and jasmine. I don’t know what wisteria smells like so I can’t comment on that. It’s a sweet, strong, floral scent. This is a beautiful, seductive scent. I'm so glad that I got to try this.

Cabaret - I have been very interested in Cabaret because I looove Red Musk, have a hate/hate relationship with Jasmine, and find wisteria works or not depending on what else it's blended with. Initially, the scent is entirely jasmine, and just the tiniest bit on my wrist provides an overwhelming amount of throw -- but that's typical for jasmine on my skin. After about 20 minutes, the red musk becomes more evident, and blends with the jasmine in the most fascinating way. The jasmine still dominates, but becomes a scent that I find quite enjoyable as a result of the red musk running through it. After about an hour, I notice the wisteria for the first time. It tempers the jasmine and makes the overall scent slightly powdery-floral (similar to the violet in Numb or the orange blossom in Jezebel). The musk is much softer at this point and sticks very close to the skin, although I still get occasional wafts of the florals. This is truly a fascinating blend, but that strong jasmine scent I get prior to full drydown is unpleasant enough that I don't think I want to endure it, even though it gets much better after drydown.