Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinky

Honey

*finally* got to try some precious drops of single note honey :P

i took a long shower with Lush's Honey I Washed the Kids (yum!) and then slathered myself with my testable sniffie of Honey SN. I smell absolutely delectable...but not at all how I expected. As an avid honey lover, this is not the sticky and sweet I was thinking of. It's almost musky...very strange. I'm not saying I don't absolutely love this blend, cause I do...I just wish it were more bee and less beeswax!

I can definitely see why this shines when blended in scents like O.

At first this is a luscious, sweet honey scent that immediately radiates warmth. A little while later the scent evolves and turns a bit smoky... the sweet, golden stage and sexy, smoky stage (that lasts and lasts and lasts) are both great. The smokiness increases a little more over time (though at times it also seems it seems to - sorry - "wax" and wane). It's not quite like a honey incense perfume but it's not a pure golden honey either. This falls somewhere in between. It really is a very sexy, captivating scent, to say the least very wearable on its own.

another thanks to Cheshirecat for helping to make this swap possible! i have been *dying* to try some SNs and out of all of them, honey was at the top of my list:

in the imp: yep. honey. but there's an almost -sour?- undernote to it, and i'm getting hints of the beeswax quality people were talking about.

wet on skin: ooooooooohhhhhhh is this goooooooodddddd. a sweet, mellow, very understated honey, not at all like the honey blends i'm partial to in Lush products or the infamous Kama Sutra honey dust (which i love, but it's not like this). this is fabulous. :P

dry down: it just gets better and better. there's a sexy quality to this that MUST be experienced first hand. i don't have many BPAL blends with the honey note in it, but this makes me want to find *all* the ones that have this magickal elixir present in the composition.

:D :D :)

In the vial, it smells a bit like hot honey... I put a jar of wildflower honey in the microwave the other day to decrystallize it. I left it in a bit too long, and it got very hot and runny. Honey SN in the vial smells like that nuked honey did.

On me: now there's a familiar smell! Now I understand some of what I'm getting in scents with honey as a note and why they're never quite what I thought they'd be. This is much spicier and buzzier than I would have imagined, and there's a definite floral tone to it. More complex than I was expecting.

Edited by suileach

In the bottle: Extremely pale yellow. Honey, yup. But quite complex. A little boozy, a bit floral and sugary, almost crystallized. Quite sweet, almost sticky.

Wet: Really quite boozy, and also a bit caramelized. It's a very intense, concentrated scent; thick. It's almost like mead, so fermented and rich with a hint of effervescence.

Dry: Slow to dry. Still intensely crystalline-sugary, but the floral notes are opening up a bit more, as well as a warm waxiness. The booze note holds. I feel like I'm dripping in thick honey, it's so decadent.

Later: This fades a bit in throw, but never loses its sugary, sticky edge. It's almost a little TOO tooth-achingly sweet. The waxy note has amped a bit and cuts that sweetness just enough, but the faint florals are still woefully distant.

Summary: This has a rather musky and earthy (patchouli?) drydown on me - very RESINY (storax?), below a honey that's mostly turned to rich wax, with light hints of the former sticky sweetness and faint florals. Decent throw and good lasting power.

Love the evolution of this and the sexy drydown. Oh to have a bottle!

*treasures decant*

I got my hands on a precious half-imp of this to try to decide if I loved it enough to invest in a bottle. Oh, yes. Yes I did.

Here's the thing. Both honeys are gorgeous, but they're different. One is dark, deep and complex, almost musky, with phenomenal wearlength. The other is bright and clear, still complex, but with much shorter wearlength.

Two wonderful honeys, and I'll keep them both, but of course, the one I prefer (the darker one) is the one I only have a half-imp of!

Lovely stuff!

Honey SN to my nose and on my skin doesn't smell like actual honey to me. At least not like what honeys that we have here smell like.

The SN smells the way honey feels, if that makes sense. Very warm and sticky and dangerously close to cloying. Like eating a spoonful of honey.

Strangely enough, a very popular variety of honey, here, smells more like Honey Moon because of the thyme in there (most popular variety of honey is the one from bees feeding on thyme).

So yes, SN honey would be very good for rounding and sweetening some blends, but I don't think I could wear it alone.

I am so grateful I got to try this. I caught a partial imp of this from a livejournal faerie, and wow, this smells interesting. It's sweet, but not obnoxiously sweet. It has more of the sharp smell I tend to associate with honey. It's amazing, because I know this is a bouquet. As it drys, I catch a hint of...incense? What? This changes so quickly on me that it's really hard to tell what's going on. It's...I guess I have to describe it as waxy. And warm, it's always warm. It's nice, really, really nice. Now I just have to figure out a way to use it.

So upon application, this is a medicinal/herby honey. And you really can't smell it if you put your nose close to your skin. The honey bouquet smell really wafts around you and I find that to be able to appreciate it, you really have to smell it from far away (meaning, no nose to wrist). I basically get a cloud of honey around my wrist, and it's pretty noticeable.

It's not obnoxiously sweet or aggressive, like when honey is part of other blends. That might be because of the aging.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I am one of the folks who gets a strong honey tone in this perfume. It is reminiscent of wildflower honey, or even a bit like orange blossom honey to me. Super pretty and just sweet enough for me. Quite lovely!

First of all, a huge thanks to the insanely generous CTFrancesca for the sniffie of this. It's a gorgeous soft honey that is just sweet enough and really blooms on the drydown, with a warmth reminiscent of being bathed in gentle sunbeams. I love it, and could definitely justify splurging on a bottle if one ever shows up, but if that never happens for me or anyone else who's fallen in love with this it's actually very similar to Ov5, which is the more honey-heavy O proto.

Edited by Invidiana

This honey smells green ( a little herbal even), bright and slightly floral on me. This reminds me of the honey in Litha. Honey is one of my favorite notes, but I like the musky-type honey better.

A very musky, yet slightly sweet honey on me. Almost clean smelling as well yet definitely sticky. Very much the honey used in O v5.

It's hard for me to describe how happy and lucky I am to be able to review Honey SN. :wub2:

Honey is one of my favorite notes, and I love both of the different honey notes I've noticed in The Lab's perfumes. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a sexy dirty-honey note, like the one in O and Womb Furie; and the more polleny white-honey note I get from Lady Una and Half Elf v5.

This smells like a very BEESWAXY orange blossom with chamomile honey. It's the same honey note I love in the Half Elf prototype - slightly musky, herb/floral sweet, waxy and full of pollen. I *could* see myself wearing this alone, but I want to layer it with other things. Mmm, this is honey heaven!

Thank you cfrancesca!