Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

The Wheel of Fortune

Well, this smells like toothpaste!

First it's a faint minty kind of chalky aroma, somewhat like necco wafer. Then it changes to something of a strawberry toothpaste. It's still chalky, but it's sweeter now.

Is there lotus in here? sweetpea?

It's dried to a sweet sort of chalkiness. Again, still like toothpaste though... or that flouride you get at the dentist's.

Wheel of Fortune

In the imp: sharp, herbal, medicinal…really medicinal. Is that camphor?

Wet on skin: I think I know what this is…its juniper. I may be wrong but this sort of reminds me of an essential oil which I have, and I think it’s juniper, maybe with camphor too. Maybe pine or another woody scent? It’s a blast to the sinuses, that’s for sure!

Dry: this is very strong stuff…it smells more like some sort of old fashioned medicine, antiseptic even! I get this strong scent of juniper, or maybe wintergreen and menthol/camphor, but there’s also something sweet in the background, almost fruity-it reminds me of blackcurrant! Like a berry ‘after smell’ hiding behind the medicinal notes in front. This seems more like a ritual oil than a perfume.

After a while: holy moly, I smell like Ribena! This has gone totally blackcurrant on me. The juniper is gone, leaving behind a tart, yet sweet and juicy blackcurrant scent on me. Now this smells a little bit like Lush’s You Snap the Whip, or cassis liqueur.

Verdict: this one was really unusual. At first I get a harsh, medicinal scent, very piercing, maybe with camphor, menthol, and juniper. But then it slowly but surely morphed completely…into blackcurrant! Yup, it’s almost Ribena like, but more tart, almost like a cassis liqueur scent. It reminds me of You Snap the Whip. It’s a strange scent, I’m not sure if I like it because I’m not keen on the wet/just dry stage because it smells too medicinal for me…but the blackcurrant drydown is quite fun!

Having read the reviews, I think I’m the only person getting blackcurrant here, which is quite surprising…it’s one of those oils that’s so different on everyone, it seems…one of those ‘chameleon BPALs’.

Wheel of Fortune

This was very light smelling both in the imp and once applied. There's a slight fruity boozey tinge to it, what little of it I could smell. As it dries, it is a fairly light sweet almost fruity scent.

In the Bottle: Smells a bit like peppermint…but kind of a medicinal peppermint smell.

Wet: Peppermint and a bit of a smoky chalk like smell.

Dry: Pepto-Bismol. That is exactly what it smells like.

Kinda disappointed cause I really wanted to like this.

Like others, I also get wintergreen and berries from The Wheel of Fortune, along with a smoky, dusty, gritty note---maybe that's the pepper that sarada mentioned? It dries down to almost a brandied berry smell on me that's quite nice.

It's really quite a morpher. I never would have thought at the beginning that it could end in such a place, but I guess that would be a perfect embodiment of the card. :P

In the bottle: Menthol and little else.

On my skin: Whatever else is in this is now warming up, and the test patch now smells like a cough drop. Yum? :P

First sniff: Blue cough drops. It’s way medicinal, with a tinge of funkiness underneath. Not gonna like this one.

Wearing: Hey, whaddayaknow, I was right. Though now it smells more like wintergreen gum and whatever the funkiness is. Very wintergreen. I’m not a fan.

this is by far one of the most interesting BPAL scents I've tried, simply because it is so odd and changeable--like the card!

When I sniffed it in the imp, I thought oh that's gorgeous! And familiar, but what is it? Then I got a strong medicinal blast from it too. And something chalky. When I read it smelled like toothpaste, I thought, well, kind of....sort of possibly minty and chalky? Pepto-bismal kind of made sense too, but none of that was right, either.

that blast--not eucalyptus, not camphor which is woodier to my nose, not quite menthol though closer, faded quickly. I can see why people say wintergreen, though I'm not entirely convinced. I wonder if it might be birch, which has a minty/spicy/root beer-like note to it.

Either way, what it changes into is a sweet, slightly spicy scent with something rich and berry-like underneath. Sort of creamy too. In fact, I get a different aspect of it everytime I sniff it.

Whatever it is, I like it, and am glad that I actually have an imp of this instead of just getting to sniff it once in the Tarot circle. I don't think I'll get a full bottle, but I'll enjoy my imp, and wear it when I hope to tempt the wheel to turn in the ways I wish....

Ok, one other attempt to capture this scent in words: berry cream soda.

In the bottle: Light citrus, some sort of tree or mint (maybe juniper), and a medicinal scent in the background.

First on: It's gone mostly woodsy on me, but not in the typical way. It's a very light wood with a hint of something just a touch spicy, and that touch of mint as well.

Drydown: This is Dia de los Muertos '05 but without the tobacco, which was he main reason I didn't like it. Berries, sweetness, and a hint of smoke. Not at all what I was smelling earlier.

Overall: It changed to much in the span of an hour that it is the absolute perfect wheel of fortune scent. I had absolutely no clue this is what it would end up like based on my first impressions. Yet somehow it let me off right where the scent worked for me. Kudos to Beth, I think this is the most accurate tarot blend I've tried so far.

Minty rootbeer.

It smelled a bit medicinal when wet, but it's drying out to smell like rootbeer with a sprig of herb, whereas to my boyfriend's nose, he smelled what he described as being "beachwood." Wait, he could have said "beechwood."

I don't know how often I would wear this, as it definitely has that Pepto quality noted in other reviews. It begins to descend into a scent that has a powdery tone in the span of mere minutes.

I'm glad I had an opportunity to try this out, having swapped it for an extra bottle I happened to have of The Hanged Man, but The Wheel of Fortune doesn't quite work for me as a perfume. If I need a bit of luck, I have my TAL oil of Lady Luck to use when necessary. The Wheel of Fortune isn't quite a bad scent, just not something I particularly care for.

-doreen

Begins with a very astringent mintyness. Very medicinal. Odd. There is a floral hint underneath, mellows after a while but still remains clean and crisp...with a hint of plastic? :P

In the bottle, I'm struck by the strong menthol scent. This remains for a few minutes when I put it on my skin. Eventually, this fades into something vaguely wintergreen-ish that reminds me of some candy I had as a child, but I can't remember the name.

rating: 2/5

when i first put this on, it reminded me of minty root beer. now that it's faded it just smells like straight root beer candy. it's kind of nice...i don't know how much i would wear this, but it's a really interesting scent!

Wheel of Fortune - The very first note I detect is wintergreen. It's strong, crisp and very minty. I smell just like a wintergreen Certs! Underneath the wintergreen is a highly herbal note, as well. Far below the wintergreen, I detect something dry and woody, so when the wintergreen fades around the 30 minute point, I'm not surprised at all to discover the remaining scent is that of a lovely, light wood. I swore I was smelling patchouli, but I checked all of the reviews, and no one noted patchouli in this oil. The only other combination that smells like patchouli on my skin is sandalwood with a hint of vetiver. So I'd say it's one of those sets of notes. The woody note has a lovely level of throw -- just enough that I can enjoy it without being overwhelmed by it. Below the woods, there is something I can only smell when I sniff my skin up close -- it's sweet, herbal, and possibly white musky. This is a beautiful blend. I never thought I'd say that about something that smells like wintergreen on me, but this one works out very, very nicely. It also lasts for a good six or more hours, which is great for my dry skin.

Very unusual. I get a hint of fruit, but it's a sharp fruit with an almost candy-like quality to it. There is a "bubblegum" or "cotton candy" feel here, too, although I don't get either of those scents specifically. I think it's a little too child-like for me, but I may test it again before making a decision.

When I sniffed this one in the imp, I wasn't sure I liked the smell and couldn't place where I knew it from...

Then I read the reviews and realized it smells like pink peppermints or Pepto Bismal. Once I apply it, the pink mintiness screams at me, but after a few minutes it's subdued and then turns to a cheap bar of soap smell.

I think this one is going into the swap pile.

Hmm, this one makes me uneasy. It smells like medicine and VapoRub. It has that chalky pink pepto smell plus some kind of menthol scent.

Wet: Wintergreen!!!! (Wintergreen lifesavers to be specific) with something musky and spicy behind it.

Dry: it balances a bit better. I’m not doing any better at identifying the notes in back they are now all blending together to become part of an interesting and complicated whole. It’s head-clearing in all senses of the phrase and would be great as a room scent for when trying to think something through.

Summary: I’m not sure it’s a scent I want on me, but it’s certainly one I’d enjoy around me. Also not particularly long-lasting on me.

I tried The Wheel of Fortune a long time ago and never posted my review, but I figured I'd go ahead and do it -- it sure sticks out in my memory well enough -- since the oils are coming down.

So here you go: it's the same in bottle and on my skin to my nose -- VERY VERY STRONG spearmint and carrots, of all things. My hand to god.

I was not a fan. It stuck around, too, for quite a while. I could still smell it the next morning. I really wanted to love it, as it's one of my soul cards, so I didn't wash it off, hoping it would shift after a few hours. It didn't.

I did keep the bottle, though. :P

Wet, herbs and maybe sarsaparilla. Oh wait, that’s not sarsaparilla, it’s wintergreen. It reminds me strongly of the World, which I just recently tested. It’s warmer than the World, fruitier too. There’s a sweetness there underneath the wintergreen that is just dying to come out. After a bit, the sweetness does come out and it smells like minty berries. It reminds me of Florence, which is one of my favorite scents. As it wears the wintergreen recedes and I’m left with sweet berries and maybe amber too. This is wonderful.

Oh my gosh, this reminds me of a big wintergreen mint!

ETA: Now...an earthy, vetiver smell has come out and the mint has all gone away...

Edited by Honeycat

This... is... bizarre.

In the vial: Listerine breath freshening strips.

On: Pepto and chalky toothpaste.

After a minute or two: Not quite as bad, a touch of something fruity coming out of the mint, maaaaybe touch of lotus? Still has a pepto edge though.

Between 5-10 minutes: Something... woody? :P Uh. That seriously was totally not there before. And I think those that noted sasparilla are probably right. Still a hint of pepto in there. It's grown very light already.

10+ minutes: Light undefinable florals, chalky mint.

20+ minutes: Barely there anymore, faint sweet chalkiness.

I think there's definately some camphor in here, and some kind of mint - wintergreen is probably right - and I'm pretty sure there's lotus. I think there's some kind of woody note and some other florals and sarsaparilla. It changes every couple of minutes, the only connecting factor that chalky pepto smell. It is head clearing, but also somewhat nauseating. Er. This one is just odd. Really odd.

in the bottle: sarasparrilla and something i can't quite define- maybe a bit of ginger ale?

wet on skin: fizzy rootbeer soda! :D

dry down: it morphs continuously- i get hints of the sarasparilla but then it moves to this almost-not-quite-fruity end, and then back again.

in all: with it's pendulum swing in full force, this is *definitely* Wheel of Fortune!

:P