Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
tempete

Light Myrrh

Surprisingly (for me at least), the light myrrh single note has an almost peppery bite, but not much underlying depth. I recognize this bite in some of the myrrh-containing BPALs, such as Loviatar and Lilith. I prefer the dark myrrh single note because of its warmth, depth, sweetness and lack of that peppery bite (which is headache-inducing for me).

Light myrrh seems strange to me - it doesn't smell like the myrrh I am familiar with. It is a bit spicy and seems almost floral instead of woody.

This does lack the depth of dark myrrh.

In the bottle this is spicy and woody and pleasant, with an almost syrupy feel to it. I really like it that way. However, on my skin it turns all musty and craft store-ish. Not unpleasant, but not something I want to smell like.

Via the single note swap circle. This one's really hard to pin down. At first, I almost want to say it smells musky, but it may be that it's just paired with musk in a lot of scents that I'm used to. It's got an almost spicy top edge, and on fresh it's a little difficult to deal with. Not crazy "can't stand it" reaction, just a bit of nose overload--too many different tones entering the nose at once, or something like that.

As it dries, though, it's much smoother. It settles around you like a blanket, warm and comfortable. A warm wood tinge enters, without feeling overly dry. Imagine opening those handcarved wood boxes you see from India every once in awhile--the inside smells like this. Of course, that comparison might just be a 'me' thing.

It's lovely, though. I could easily wear this on its own. The grounded lightness of it, with both a little sweet and a little spicy tone to it, make me think it's a near-perfect balance. If this were still available, I'd buy a bottle.

Edited by quikslvr

I have never tried Dark Myrrh, so I can make no comparison where that is concerned, but Light Myrrh is really rather heavenly. It starts out spicy and a bit peppery, but also with a sort of syrupy sweetness that holds the scent together. It smells golden and deliciously spicy. The fragrance gets a bit more wooden in the drydown, and it takes on a sort of dusty quality. Spicy-dusty-sweet-dry woods. :P

Myrrh always smells wonderfully sunny and warm to me, and this is a wonderful myrrh. I really like the spicy peppery bite here. I probably won't be keeping my decant, as I don't ever see myself wearing a straight myrrh perfume, but I still really love this one.

I was appreciative to try Single Notes as I don't feel I have a very sophisticated nose at all, and to be able to sniff "pure" scents that are part of these great blends is a treat.

I expected darker incense and got a very sunny dusty woodsy scent. After doing a search, this was in so many blends that I liked for the "dusty woodsy" aspect -- Masabakes, Glasya, Athens, Hecate, Hymn, and Lex Talionis are the several I tried that listed myrrh and which I noted variances of "dusty woods."

This is a stellar SN that is so evocative of the overall BPAL experience -- mysterious and surprising.

I can hardly believe this is the same animal as dark myrrh! This is *sharp* and fresh cut woodsy (not green, think lumber yard), hardly any of that sweet base. If not for some similar reviews and the identical handwriting on the imp as some of my other SNs which smell *right*, I'd be wondering if it was real bpal.

Not for me.

Edited by Muppetk

Light Myrrh - well, this perfectly answers my confusion as to why I like myrrh sometimes and not others. I apparently like dark myrrh and dislike light myrrh. The light myrrh is very woody, yet pungent in it's own strange and arid way. It's thick, heavy, and very dusty. I don't like this one at all. It has way too much throw for such an unpleasant scent. I don't know how long it lasts because I'm going to go wash it off now...

Light Myrrh

In the imp: bitter resin. It reminds me of real myrrh resin ready to burn, but also has a slight boozy kick.

Wet on skin: burning myrrh!

Dry on skin: hmm, this isn't too bad actually, considering it smells like it's burnt. This is the myrrh from Black Lotus, Wings of Azrael, Nyx and Athens. Not the unburnt, sticky, dark, delicious, sweet myrrh from other scents, but a scent of dry myrrh resin on the censer. Smouldering, blackened, bitter resin, a real incense scent, with a hint of wood and pepper, but it's not bad on it's own-it can distract in blends (but not always) but smells quite nice alone.

After a while: it stays the same (burning bitter myrrh) though it becomes drier and a tad woodier. There's a nice sweetness poking out through the burnt scent though.

Verdict: now I know why some myrrh scents turn burnt-smelling on me whilst other smell lovely and sweet and deeply resinous…this is the burnt myrrh that turned on me in Black Lotus. It's not too bad on it's own-an odd, dry, smoky, charred scent with a peppery aspect, like myrrh when it's burnt black as opposed to it as a fresh resin. I actually don't hate this as much as I thought I would but I'm not keen on it (though it's nice in moderation in some blends). I would love to try the dark myrrh now to see if that is the myrrh I really love. Glad I got to familiarise myself with the light variety though.

Emoticon rating: :P

LIGHT MYRRH

In Bottle: Carmelized wood

On Skin: Ooo! A very sweet, woody resin! It has a carmelized feel that reminds me of syrup! Sticky and yummy! I get a very woody feel that turns powdery very quickly. I also sense a bit of spice that really warms it up... kind of a smoky pepper. It also feels a bit boozy… so interesting! I love the feel of this scent even though the dusty powderiness of it upsets my nose a bit. Not a note I’d wear on it’s own but I’d love to layer with it. Light throw and short to average wearlength.

In the imp, Light Myrrh is softly spicy and mysterious.

When applied to the skin, it smells warm, mildly woody, very rich and deep.

As it dries, it settles into a very organic and almost-sweet scent, reminiscent of a gently decomposing cedar log. Despite how that sounds, it really isn't at all unpleasant. A very good scent for those who like natural, woody fragrances.

In the imp, it is hardly detectable. It was not what I was expecting at all. I thought it would be soft and appealing. Instead, once applied, it was strong, bitter, on the woody side and I really didn't find it likeable at all. I guess this SN is better worn with another oil as an enhancement.

I happened upon a partial of this on eBay and I couldn't be more ecstatic to be able to cross it off of my wishlist!

In the bottle it is mildly astringent, almost pungent, but the moment it touches my skin the warm/syrupy scent comes out. It's got a slight "dusty" feeling to it. I very much like Light Myrrh and look forward to hunting down some Dark Myrrh to compare!

Caramelized wood. So on wet, its an almost floral honey top note to it, and as it dries it becomes a little sharper and more pungent. At this point, I get some of the woodier aspects and cedar-like notes.

On first whiff, it smells like caramelized wood, but as you inhale a little more deeply, you start to realize that it has sharper edges to it, and almost spicy quality to it. As it continues to dry, you get an unfurling of burnt woody incense.

I think that the resinous BPAL single notes have fared the best with the age, and this one is no exception. The morphing throughout is amazing. It's not the type of blend you'd like to wear, but honestly, this to me is really what Priala should have been. Something that starts out as caramel wood, but underneath it all is a smoldering 'ashy' like quality.