Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

Erm; hmh. I am not sure about this. It doesn't make me gag, but I would certainly not wear it as a perfume (well, it is a voodoo blend after all...) This is like Satyr with a bit of cedar in it, or something like that. I whish Mr. Patchouli would come out and save the blend for me. Now I like goats and it is actually fun to try on a perfume that smells like them, but; hm, for amusement's sake I already kept an imp of Satyr. This is a little more wearable, but, hm :D

Well, the best part of all this was to read savage_rose's review, now that made me laugh my ass off :P

This is such an unusual scent for me.

In the imp: very off-putting yet something I just couldn't stop smelling. It's like seeing a very strange looking person in public and although you know it's impolite to stare, you can't help it.

wet on the skin: ewwww yuck! I smell like vommit in the attic

dry on skin: I smell like vommit in the attic with flowers on me.

Husband's opinion: he didn't like it, either, but it certainly did what it was supposed to do. He mentioned that it smelled like a sweaty crotch with roses on it. ::rolls eyes:: Anyway, despite my extreme reaction to it, I decided to mix it with some massage oil to water it down a little and later on, when I used it as a massage oil, it was much easier to handle the scent. I still don't like it much, but like I said, it does do what It claims to do. Definitely not on the big bottle list.

This smells like soap and spices.Doesn't sound too thrilling but I like it.Fairly unisex for a passionate blend.My boyfriend finds most BPAL nasty (what do boys know!?) so I can't attest to how well it works its charms.

Okay, so I know it's a voodoo blend, and so it has a purpose just beyond smelling pretty, and to be completely honest, I bought this kind of hoping that it would accomplish what it's intended to accomplish... but I don't think I'm going to be able to give it enough time to find out. In the vial, I actually thought that it smelled a lot better than I had suspected, given people's reviews - warm, spicy, intriguing. When I put it on, I get a kind of cinnamon-clove-ness. BUT - then comes what must be the civet that others have mentioned. And you know, it's really kind of an interesting scent - it sort of moves back and forth between one thing and another. And the one thing is a kind of sharp, deep, black note that's really striking. But the other thing is cat pee. :P

I haven't had it on *that* long, so I suppose it might improve. But even so, given that I'm a citrus/floral/amber kind of girl, I don't think this is ever going to be something I want to smell like.

(and the husband didn't like it either, which doesn't bode well for its voodoo purpose! Although I kind of influenced him by sticking my arm under his nose while saying, "I think this smells really vile." :D )

Voodoo blends aren't supposed to smell amazing, right? But, if something is supposed to inspire feelings of love and sensuality... maybe it shouldn't smell of creepy dank basement. All I picture when I smell this is a dark chamber where dark rituals have been worked... pain and suffering soaked into the floor. Not such a great image for lovin', eh?

I don't think the boy had the same visuals as I did but he had a similar negative reaction. This is one frimp that will stay in rotation. :P

I don't have anyone to test this on, so I will only comment on the scent. It is warm and woody. At first there is a bit of spice in there. Sandalwood or cedar is the majority of this. Not bad at all.

This is the first BPAL perfum I tried, and at first I was completely overwhelmed by the scent. It felt way too strong. Not a bad scent, but very mush around.

After a while it mellowed down, and then it smelled very good, and very comforting- and familiar. I didn't get any sexy vibes of it myself, but two male friends was very positive. However, it finally dawned to me what it smells like on me- just like my grandmother used to smell! Hence the comforty feeling, I guess.

I will definitely use up my imp, but rather for going to bed alone. It feels almost like being a kid again and snuggling up in my grandmother's lap.

Imp testing time! Especially seeing as my box of imps to keep are being borrowed by friend at work (well on her way to being enabled!)

In the imp, it's patchouli (but not quite the same as Anne Bonny, which I tested earlier). I'm ridiculously tired this evening, so I don't know how the intent is going to work its way through that ...

Wet on skin, it's much the same - patchouli, with a slight medicinal scent.

Once dry, it's kind of ... weird. I'm thinking I'm imagining it (or else it's the cats and their recent trip to their litter trays), but I detect a very faint whiff of ... poo. Eeeep! Not much, just a teeny bit, underneath the toned down patchouli thing.

Maybe it's not that, but something keeps drawing me back to having another sniff.

If it were just for the scent, I couldn't wear this in public. Actually, if it were for the intent, I wouldn't be wearing it in public either...

I have to take up the cudgels for Fire of Love!

I admit: I won't be able to tell what it smells like ... well at least not very good, but the thing I can say is: It is wonderful!

It is a very round and warm scent, together with some spices. I'd think of a little bit amber in the background and - to me - it is cardamom. When dryed down there comes a powdery undertone which takes away the last bit of sharpyness and leaves a slightly blurred but - it really is the best word for it! - round scent.

It is so warm, that the fire in the name matches perfectly - but it's nor the real hot fire, it's more a oven with fire and you sitting next to it. Makes me feel realy comfortable.

If it works ... well ... I'm not sure. Have been wearing it on different occasions (family dinner, work) and didn't really have the feeling that there would have been an unappropriate effect. BUT: It makes me happy and comfortable - a good mood for ... you know what :P

Want a bottle of this one as soon as my bankaccount agrees with an order ...

Edited by Antaria

this is just like satyr on me. what is that note that makes me run to the sink to wash it off? civet? it smells like an animal who needs a bath. i'm glad this smells better on others!

Ooo, I like this scent. Normally the Voodoo Blends aren't oils I'd wear as perfume, but I like this one. It's dark woods and heavy spices, maybe a smidge of civet or a musk that's close to that. It's smells kind of clingy and slithering at the same time.

Not sure what wood that is -- maybe cedar. The wood in it reminds me of Cathedral.

I can see this being much too heavy to wear as perfume for some people, but I like it. I bet it would smell great on my husband, too.

I will admit from the start that I am biased against this one - not on principle, because I had no idea what it would be like (and it was a frimp), just that I have known people who have worn this or a similar scent, and I didn't like them.

So, I put it on, and I'm all "ugh!"

I didn't wash it off, because I wanted to give it a chance.

But all day, I kept catching the throw (I only put it on one wrist, and then rubbed it into the other from there), and remembering that I hated how I smelled. And it lasted ALL DAY.

It smelled ripe, fecund, like animal and sex. Which could be pretty sexy - if I liked it.

I'm finding today that Scherezade is similar, too...but that's for a different review.

In bottle: thick rich brown liquid, sweet spicy cola-ish scent

Wet: reminds me a bit of Love Me but without the headache-inducing patchouli (hurray!) and some other spiciness added.

Dry: Goes very dry and incense-y and loses all sweetness.

Later: 4 hours in it’s sweetened up a bit again and I’m getting some of the salty tastes I was with lurid. Unfortunately (?) no kick to the libido noticeable in me.

Summary: By itself it’s a bit too bitter and incense-y for me to be most interested (i.e. not a big bottle, but I'll enjoy the imp) but I’m now really curious about how it layers with something like Blood Rose that I find too purely sweet. If they stayed in balance that would be close to one of my sent ideals and I'd happily order big bottles of both.

In vial: Potent, dry spices. I get petitgrain maybe?

Wet: musky, a bit dirty. Pungent.

Drydown: the musk is going plasticky on me. Definitely not for me.

Warm, slightly spicy, woods with a little muskiness underneath. I love this, and so will Bri, I suspect (ok, he's not hard to please...LOL)

This seemed very lukewarm for something called Fire of Love. I have an imp of this and tried it last night but it made me feel old and musty and worn.

I couldn't discern any specific notes, only the general sense of something warm, vaguely woody, and a little sweet. The sweetness is similar to a soft resin, burnished and fading. The woody note has that sensation of being dark and stained many times over, like a well loved mahogany desktop. But it too seems stale and old.

I could still smell this on my wrists when I woke up this morning, so it does have lasting power. But I couldn't wait to shower it off. It just didn't have enough presence or personality for me.

I loved it in the imp. The sandalwood is warm and lovely. In the locket much the same, of course. :D As it dried it turned very spicy and reminded me more and more of a man's aftershave. Kinda smelled like the stuff they used to use on my grandfather at the barbershop. Overall a very nice scent but too manly for me. Hubby liked it, btw. :P

Fire of Love-

In Bottle: Resin and spice.

Wet: Lordy, there's civet in this, isn't there. That little dirty-musky-fecal whiff. The spice over it isn't bad, and in fact I'm tolerating the civet itself better than I have in other blends. Granted, the oil is still wet on my wrist! ;-)

Dry: Heh. Well, I've found another conditional Voodoo blend. (As opposed to all the rest which just haven't worked for me at all.) There's something about this one that makes the civet smell kind of carnal and not just rank. I will definitely keep this one around to sniff and see if it heightens randy feelings after all.

Overall: Conditional but interesting!

I see people mentioning civet here and I don't know if it is in this or not, but if it is - I am clearly not one of the people who finds it terrible. There is nothing bad about this scent to me. I don't dislike it, though I don't really like it either. I feel fairly neutral on it. Vaguely woody, spicey and musky. A definite skin scent, as it stays very close to mine.

Just no real strong feelings on this one way or the other unfortunately. May hold on to this imp to try another day perhaps.

In the imp: astringent herbs and patchouli.

On me, wet: well, that's, uh. Powder and mildew and general skankiness. Man, that's not nice.

On me, dry: oh, there's something cedar-ish in here. Amid the nasty general ick and yuck.

Verdict: I guess there's civet in here, huh. That and the patchouli together is Not Good. Shudder.

wet: something ugly and medicinal. At first, it smells almost like dirt.

The medicinal note seems to be a bit like pine, but since I dislike it so much, it reminds me of my most hated blend, Kathmandu, where the problem is the cedar. The ginger must be what is making me smell of fruit gone bad, but bpal ginger doesn't go normally bad on me.

In my family, we make compost out of fruit peeling and other vegetable waste. On me, this smells like mature vegan compost: not like things on the process of getting rotten, but like wet, fertile, sweetish earth. I don't mind that smell in the garden but I don't like it on myself. I can't even give it a chance to see if it waorks the way it is supposed to.

Patchouli and musk swirl in this deep, throaty blend.

On, it becomes very aggresively animal, a hot and throbbing scent that smells almost filthy. Is that civet? Black musk? What is it? Whatever it is, it's very, very animalistic. I haven't smelled a scent this potently bestial since Satyr rocked my socks off.

I really like this. I can't say whether anyone standing within ten feet of me will like it, but I like it. It smells sort of smoky, like a fire, indeed. Others speak of a spice note, but I get no spice at all. Just musk, patchouli, woodsmoke, and satyr pubes.

And, you know, you may not believe me, but that is SEXY.

Dragon's blood, with a hint of musk and a whiff of some light floral, gardenia probably.

This is a very light scent both in the bottle and on the skin. It's warm but not overwhelming, pleasant but not forward. A happy scent, more than a sexy one. But, then, I've learned that what I consider "happy" most people consider "sexy" and what I consider "sexy" most people consider "restraining order, please!"

It's quite pleasant, though, and as it wears I begin to suspect it has vanilla in it, and maybe violet. Some very light, powdery floral. The throw is really pretty, but up close it has a baby-powder smell I don't like. Probably gardenia. I don't know. I'm bad with florals because they all hate me.

Smells sweet on me, almost like cherries or Bakewell Pudding... there is wood and musk underneath it. It's okay, a pleasant scent but I don't think I'll be getting a bigger bottle. Not sure whether it has the intended effect, I guess I will see in July with my SO :P

In the imp, it smelled really strongly of civet and mint. Civet usually works well on me, but this was kind of strong and dirty.

Once it was on, it did smell great - the civet faded down and became a smooth note, backing up a clean, elegant mint. As a perfume, I really like this.

I can't speak for the voodoo effects as I was alone in the house with the cat when I tried it. All the voodoo blends I've tried for purpose have worked though.