Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Misty ambergris accord and hinoki wood with juniper berries, galbanum, and palo santo.

This reminds so so much of a body lotion from an indie brand which unfortunately does not currently ship to my country (shipping charges of no fault of their own). 

It was such a lovely one! It was called "Ghost Train...Gettysberg" or something like that. 

This smells so smokey, so sophisticated. It literally smells like a secret never to be told. 

Yes, you could quote me on that.

"Smells like a secret never to be told"

-PancakesRaichu

Clean, luxe. Creamy ambergris with palo santo and juniper splashed on top. Sadly the throw is really low on me, even slathering I only occasionally get a whiff while going about my day. Longevity isn't bad, but I like a decent throw. 

This is the quiet, grounding woody scent I was hoping for this year. Soft sandalwood and ambergris have a warmth, with the evergreenish hinoki and juniper giving a lightly cool freshness. It's very sophisticated and soothing.

This has a similar soft, earthy yet ethereal vibe as my beloved Neutral Tones. The ambergris with the woody notes is a gorgeous combination. Throw is pretty quiet, so this is definitely more of a cozy your-skin-but-better type of scent. I love using this as a sleep scent, so it's a definite backup bottle contender. 

This smells nice, but it smells nothing like I expected based on the notes. I'm actually getting sandalwood throughout wear, and I believe it is the same Mysore sandalwood found in Kit in the OLLA collection. The juniper is just barely there when I go looking for it, the musky ambergris is quiet throughout wear on me, and I'm getting none of the somewhat licorice-y palo santo that I've gotten from some other Lab scents featuring that note.

Why am I smelling sandalwood? Is it something in the hinoki (I don't think so based off of the other Shunga with hinoki I tested this year?) or galbanum (I don't know what it smells like, but I'm not getting the "intense green fragrance with woody and balsamic elements" that popped up when I googled what it is supposed to smell like)? I'm actually not getting anything particularly green here, and I really thought this blend would be somewhat muskier and greener.

But it does smell really nice, so I'm not mad. I'm not sure if I need a bottle, though, since I kept smelling it and thinking of Kit. But maybe I'll deathmatch the two before this goes away just to be sure.

So soft and ethereal it really was a ghostly encounter for me. Truly a "not really there" scent. What I could smell throughout the wear time (6 hrs) I got mostly a pleasant berry, bright, sweet, and uncomplicated - with a hint of woody palo santo and patchouli but that might be my imagination.  This is mostly a quiet berry scent on me, and not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.  I wouldn't even call the berries juniper berries, just berries. I love juniper in all forms and this did not give me that juniper hit at all. I will do another full test and see if anything improves otherwise this one is a pass.