Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
antimony

Peace

Description: None, that I can find. (It's not even in the up-and-comings!)

Before I sniffed this one, I was expecting a perfume called "Peace" to be soft, floral, light, etc.

It's not.

This is a very woodsy scent. I think the top note is juniper, or something similar. It's the smell of an actual juniper tree, though, it's not like gin. And there's no pine-ness, either.

Wait a second, It's fall already... peace? Is this a Yule prototype? It *smells* Christmassy, like fresh evergreen decorations (but not pine, so that's good for people who make pine scents smell like pine-sol) and maybe it's "Peace" as in "Peace on Earth, goowill to all."

There's more to it, though. (Though the juniper is pretty strong) Maybe lily of the valley? It's definately not primarily floral though, the flowers are just there as an accent, to round the corners and fill in the background, give the scent depth, and all.

I may come in and edit in a couple hours if it dries down significantly different from how it smells now. [Note: This is the first time, I think, that I've ever been the first to review a scent. Hee hee.]

NOTE: Though there is now a Twilight Alchemy Lab oil named Peace, these prototype frimps were being sent out long before TAL went live (as you can see) and it's unlikely the Lab would be sending out frimps of a "full-oomph" magical blend. We're therefore choosing to keep the review threads separate. --Shollin

at first: the lab included this as an extra. i think i smell sweet lemon and, maybe, eucalyptus. it's very interesting.Â

on: a gentle floral, possibly with a hint of sweetness to it.

2 hours later: a little too soapy for me.

4.5 hours later: much lighter, and the soapy scent has mostly gone away.

overall: i'm keeping this one. i'll probably end up slathering it on next time, so that it lasts longer.

This was a wonderful freebie in my last box.

In the Bottle: Peace has that peppery/floral scent of wisteria. So far, that's all I can tell.

On Me: Its turned rather soapy on me, so its wisteria soap. Its a very odd combination, maybe wysteria and wax flower? It seems like something that I've put in an arrangement before.

The pepper is starting to calm down leaving a warm soapy smell. This is very exotic and something that I like a lot. I can't wait for this to come out so that I can get a bigger bottle. I'll hoarde the imp until it does like Obeah and Kwenku Ananasi.

Peace ~ I received this in a swap. Unfortunately the vial had been smashed, but I did end up getting it all over me.

This is a very clean soapy fragrance on my skin. Lightly floral, with something a little peppery underneath. Maybe a little something green there too. This one is not me...but I should have guessed that from the smashed vial LOL!

Peace smells light purple and incensey to me...in the vial it's more sharp and resiny, but on me the floral comes out more. I guess that's wisteria? I've never smelled wisteria before, but it's nice. It is a peaceful, serene sort of scent. I'll be curious to see what's really in this.

Got an imp of this from ladymeshel. :P

First sniff:

Wow, this is the first BPAL scent I've tried that I can't even begin to describe. I have absolutely no idea what's in this, to tell the truth. :D

It smells...green to me, although I can't tell if it's green in an herbal way or in a woodsy way straight out of the bottle. It smells nagginly familiar in some way, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Wet on skin:

This reminds me of something...another BPAL scent, but I can't remember what it is. Hemlock, maybe? It's almost an herbal smell but somewhat soapy. Short of going through my entire imp collection, I don't know exactly what this reminds me of, but it's so familiar!

Dry down:

Almost woodsy smelling now and simultaneously herbal and almost musky smelling. I'd really love to know what's in this one because I really have no clue whatsoever. Whatever it is, I like it. A lot. :D

The bottom line:

Somewhere between woodsy and herbal and a complete mystery to me. It's familiar, but I can't place it. Maybe if I'd smelled more single notes I could narrow it down, but as it is I really have no clue what's in this blend. Whatever is in it, I really like it and it likes me. :D

ETA: I finally think I figured out what Peace smells like to me...lavender! I'm getting better and better at identifying lavender and that's what this smells like to me now. :D

Edited by Penance

Peace

I hae no idea what is in this, but I definately like it! It is crisp and clean and I can see myself wearing this in the middle of winter. I am on the verge of naming what I smell. Is it juniper? Lavender? I definately smell a sharp, astringent herb...hmmm.

Oh, well, I really don't care what is in it. I love it anyway.

Oh my gosh, got this in a swap ... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE gentle labbies, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE have this available for purchase by the time I make my next big-bottle order (probably mid-late January) ...

BOTTLE: Clean, soapy in a good way, very white. No specific notes jumped out at me from the bottle. Just from capping and uncapping it, some stayed on my fingers and it's very strong but in a good strong way, not an overpowering way ...

I liked this enough in the bottle to take the plunge and go wrists, crooks of arms, behind ears, nape and cleavage. Had I remembered that this is so new that it doesn't exist beyond being lucky enough to get a freebie imp, I might have been more sparing :P

WET: Oh yummy yum yum. So delicious and clean and wonderful, just a great winter scent ... and probably a great summer, spring and fall scent too!!!

DRYDOWN: I am getting hints of lavender and whatever herbs they use in the Goatmilk soaps, both favorites of mine. I'm also getting these occasional "hits" of a scent I can't quite put my finger on ... something vaguely sweet and maybe nutty??? But also the tiniest bit fruity ... is there such thing as a fruitnut?

I can't WAIT to see the actual notes on this. My brain hurts trying to process it. I am in love with this scent ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make vats of it!!!

REVISITING AND RE-REVIEWING MARCH 2013:

Am working my way through all of my BPAL collection, old and new, alphabetically to re-organize, figure out what I can swap and what I need to restock or acquire. Through the kindness of some forumites, I was able to amass several imps of this back when it was still an unreleased prototype and not yet a TAL scent (I've actually never tried the TAL version) -- thus my testing imp is actually a decant from a bottle containing about 3 or 4 ML of decanted imps from 2004-5.

IN THE IMP: While I obviously get the lavender component, I wouldn't automatically think of this as a lavender scent based on sniffing the imp ... nor do I get ANY "green" or woods. I get a light and lush floral blend. Very clean.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: This is EXACTLY how I remember it from 8 years ago. Clean without being soapy per se. Light and lush and floral. I pick up the lavender and, I think, some lilac as well and something that is probably woodsy to give it that "clean" note.

DRYDOWN: This is one of those rare blends that, on me, then and now, is the aromatic equivalent of WYSIWYG. It smells exactly the same in the imp as it does when wet on my skin as it does when it dries down, at all points of application. There is no morphing. And it is VERY strong, still.

OVERALL: I am not a HUGE fan of floral scents but to me when I find a BPAL floral I love, it's always very special (and there are several). This, to me, is a floral scent (even though I generally tend to separate lavender into a different category). It's divine and it is literally and figuratively ageless.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I could not figure out what I was smelling, so I admit - I cheated and read the other reviews to try to figure it out. I'm getting lavender, but its not sharp. Something sweeter (floral) is toning it down. I'm not getting lemon or pepper. But I am getting clean and green. Whatever it is, I like it a lot. The more I wear it, I'll come back and edit this useless review...

First sniff: Peace smells a bit like lavender soap, with a hint of astringent weirdness around the edges.

Wearing: It’s just an odd scent. I can’t really pin anything down except the astringency, and it doesn’t quite work on me.

Got this as a gift from my lovely swapfaery.

First on: Lavander. Smells alot like the sleep blends. I also get licqorish (sp?), not anise, but the store bought candy kind.

Soon: This really mellows out. Sooft, soft lavander, manybe a little soapy. But it smells so soft, and I don't mean weak, i mean it smells SOFT. Like down.. or petals.. or bunny rabbits. Very weird! I've never smelled something that conjured up a texture before.

Later: 4 hours later I can smell it for sure. Still mellow, still soft. Not that much a change since before. This is really white, soft and clean! smells a little like dove soap, but definitly lived up to its name.

125916227.jpg

In the bottle

perfumey lavender and citrus with a bright tangy ecalyptus-like edge.

On

It's herby and green. It's more perfumey than one would imagine but not what I would call a strong blend at all. It's just right in the strength department. I can tell it's also an aqua blend which is also somewhat piney and lavender-y. It's not a real noticeable pine though. I'm wondering if there's chamomile in this blend as well because I detect it's lightly sweet and almost citrussy brightness.

I likey. :P

30 minutes

I think there's a floral in here by jove. But it's so light and barely detectable. Is it...rose? It's so light as to be almost non existent.

When this blend is dry, it changes quite a bit on me. No longer an herby lavender/pine. When dry it becomes a lighter, more powdery sweeter citrus floral with a bit of an aquatic breath. It's also fresh smelling but in more of a lightly perfumey way.

This is one though that would have to be re-applied often or slathered on, as it has really disappeared on me after about 30-45 minutes.

I was going to give this a "4.5" rating but then it dried and I smelled it again. Now it becomes a 5. Even though it doesn't last on the skin the beauty of this blend keeps it at a "5" I think.

Throw:

less than average

Scent category:

Green/Aqua

Summary

In my mind this blend's scent brings up Christmas and peace, and Lush's upcoming "Assisi" baby shampoo and just a gentle beauty. When it dries it becomes an ethereal scent much like Snow White or Havisham or Blue Moon does but in a white Christmas pureness kind of way. It doesn't last as long as Blue Moon by any means, more like how Snow White lasts on the skin, it's very faint after awhile.

Absolutely gorgeous. I would wear this all the time. It does bring my peace.

Purchase again?

Yes! a 10ml!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Peace is so light I have to really concentrate to smell anything. Smells slightly evergreen at first then switched to faint herbal lavender. There are some citrus notes in there as well. This is light and pretty. I don’t think I would wear this, it is not strong enough for my liking. Off to swaps.

Sookster was kind enough to give this imp a good home. Thanks! :P

Edited by slugbait

Slugbait was kind enough to offer this little baby impikin up for grabs :D

Peace is quite unique....smells like pure violet goodness...sugary too!!!...intriguing and the scent lingers well......this reminds me of these little tiny dolls i had as a child...they were in little plastic perfume bottles that opened up and they had different smells....

rose, lily of the valley, sweet pea and violet....

smells exactly like the dolli did and brings back very warm and fond memories :P

Imagine my surprise when this little impling was in my most recent order! :P

In vial: I get a sharpish herbal/floral/peppery smell that my nose labels "lavender"; however, upon reading others' reviews, I could also be persuaded toward juniper and wysteria, as there's both an evergreen and a clean peppery feel to the oil.

Wet, on skin: Whoa. My brain has been racing 500 miles a minute ever since I moved, and I haven't been able to concentrate fully on any one task. After nuzzling my nose in to my arm, I suddenly start to feel calmer, more focused, and- dare I say it- at peace. I'm going to go with my original impulse and say lavender is the predominant scent, although there seems to be a little citrus winding through the purple blossoms. The fragrance has also warmed up a tad, and is soothing without making me sleepy.

Dry: Like the Wet stage, but even more so. Warm herbs and lavender, slightly less on the citrus. I may be sitting at my desk reading through manuscripts and writing e-mails to people, but in my mind I'm wearing a long, drifting white linen dress and wandering through a giant herb garden. The path leads to a hill, and at the top is a large hammock and a pitcher of fresh limeade. I climb into the hammock and start to swing, relaxing and enjoying the relaxing surroundings....

Peace

In the imp: mmm! Lavender, and possibly violet and lime. It actually smells like an organic natural shampoo I use!!!

Wet on skin: lavender! This is a really nice, fuzzy and cosy smell, very herbal, and very soothing. Very 'aromatherapy-like'.

Dry on skin: holy shit! This smells EXACTLY like Lush's Waving Not Drowning! (And also Playdoze, and Sleepy Head.) I love that calming, sleepy lavender scent in that bath ballistic, and this perfume is almost identical! I'm wondering if there's the ylang-ylang, fennel and cardamom that the Lush scent contains! This is lovely!

After a while: now a more violet-y scent rises up from the WND smell, adding a light, delicate, powdery sweetness to the blend. I think there may be a spice of some kind (cardamom?) because the scent has a very warm feel.

Verdict: I love Peace-why? Because it's the perfect compliment to the Lush sleepy blends-WND, Playdoze and Sleepy Head. It smells identical to them, on me anyway. This is a wonderful, soothing, unwinding blend of lavender and warm herbal notes, possibly some violet too. I'm wondering if it has the other ingredients of WND as well. This is perfect to go to sleep with, especially after a long bath. Please Beth, release the Peace!!!

Edit: just when I thought I was loving this, after a few hours it goes a bit burnt on me. There's a weird smell that reminds me of charcoal. What a shame...it was so nice before!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Origins - - part of the TAL Circular Swap

Wet - pretty and familiar. I have smelled something like this before, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Dry - lavendar! The top note is lavendar, and this smells familiar because it smells like a Somnium blend. Exactly which one I am not sure, maybe Oneiroi? The lavendar seems to be a bit stronger and there is something else, presumably herbal in here. There is also something that isn't in the Somnium blends in here, but I can't quite get a handle on it, something that sweetens this up slightly without actually being sweet, if that makes any sense. There's also something in here that is disagreeable to me, violets perhaps?

Violets, sigh, why does it always have to be violets. I hate violets.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

When I first apply Peace, I smell lavender, which quickly dries into a soft, sweet, lightly-green, powdery fragrance with an ever so gentle bit of tang. This scent floats gently around me, and reminds me of babies. It's soft, natural, and comforting. A great bedtime blend. I'd love to see this come out as a regular scent so I can get a bottle.

:P

Just got this as a freebie in my latest order. Like many others have said, it's a clean, slightly soapy scent, but in a good way - rather like sitting in a warm bath filled with relaxation aromatherapy salts soaking in the water.

Testing the free imps in my order, I put Peace on one arm, and Juliet on the other. They smell slightly similar - are some of the floral notes the same? But, Peace veers off into sharp where Juliet stays sweet.

I would definitely consider a bottle of Peace, if available - perhaps not for a regular wearable scent, but it would make a hell of a room scent, especially for meditation or simple relaxation. I could imagine this scent filling the room while I did yoga. It does live up to its name - clean, simple, peaceful. Very nice.

Frimp from a stray bottle re-ship.

Vial: Lavender.

Wet: Lavender, started out strong, but it's beginning to soften. I think I smell some violet as well.

Dry: The lavender has faded completely. It's somewhat soap-like, very soft violet-tinged scent. It's a soothing scent. Perhaps Peace would work better as a room scent than something to wear.

I just recieved an imp with my QoC/AoH order.

It's a little difficult to tell because its so faint. Even in the vial - it's just barely there. I've been sticking my nose directly to my arm to try and figure out what it is - it's almost like a soapy residue left behind - though it's not at all sterile, just very tranquil (as far as inspiration and actual scent go).

I do detect a bit of lavender, and something green - but predominantly, this is a very gentle soap smell.

Origin: got this as a frimp in my last (end of SIA) order.

Wet: Hmm, smells a lot like the Somnium blends. I can definitely see where the lavender impressions are coming from. I like lavender but for some reason it only goes well with bergamot in my nose.. all the lavender scents (including French Lavender single note) just made me want to smell Nanshe again. I will say that it does make me feel peaceful.

Sadly, on the dry-down it turned into dryer sheets (no pun intended) :P.

A lovely gift imp from the Lab, thank you! In the vial it's very strongly herbal lavender and perhaps other herbs -- thyme? purple sage? You know how when you are in a garden or nursery and you run some fresh lavender through your fingers and then sniff your fingertips? It's that kind of sharp fresh lavender, not dried wispy lavender. Then on drydown it loses all sharpness and morphs into a soft bed of lavender upon which lie the sweetest violets. My eyes close as I breathe it in, and I feel all tension leave me in a deep sigh... I could see this easily becoming my bedtime scent of choice. Please release it, dear Lab friends!

Lavender. Nothing but lavender. OK, so maybe there's a tiny hint of vanilla, or violet - something sweet in there - but I think that's just wishful thinking. Lavender dominates every blend it's in for me - and sadly, lavender's just not I scent I find pleasant or relaxing... I know that's lavender's aromatherapy purpose, but it often makes me edgy and vaguely nauseous - such a harsh, sharp smell. The only blend I've liked it in so far is Gaeko, where it's soft and smoky.

Peace. Love the concept, but can't deal with the lavender. :P

Edited to add: after it's dried down for a good half hour or so, I can smell... violet! But I'm not sure it's worth suffering through the lavender for me - there are so many other lovely violet blends.

Edited by coulrophobe

I wore this today because I really needed some. In the imp I almost decided against it. It had that sharp floral smell that indicates lavendar. (Or jasmine, but this wasn't jasminey.) I told myself to forget about it, I needed it more for the idea and effect than the smell. I put it on and forgot about it for a half hour, but when I lifted my wrist to smell it, it was a very soft, pretty, delicate smell. I think even now I'm catching the faintest whiff of violet, though I'm not positive. It's not a floral I generally wear.

I really like this and am considering buying a bottle if it gets released for sale. It's a nice, subtle nonscent kind of scent, if that makes any kind of sense. And it goes soft surprisingly fast considering my chemistry does not usually play well with lavendar or similar scents.