Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Dead Leaves, Boot Leather, and Sweet Grass

Another surprise love of my Weenie order! 

The Dead Leaves note unfortunately almost never works for me, many times it dominates the entire scent or is WAYY too cologne-y or bell-peppery. 

Starts off with a bit more DL, but quickly the boot leather comes in and becomes the star of the show. The boot leather is well worn, supple and oiled. The sweetgrass then floats in to sweeten the scent a little. 

An amazing leather scent, really hoping that with resting it stays leather dominant! 

On me, this smells like a freshly opened bottle of saffron. It manages to be both warm and cool simultaneously. Warm and dry from the boot leather, cool and wet from the leaves and sweetgrass. I will need another bottle.

Spicy bell-pepper dead leaves accent a leather that... Well, I have no idea how it smells specifically like boot leather, but it does. 

The leather is a well-worn grayish-brown leather that smells hard-packed with caked dirt and some preservative blackish oil or boot polish. This is a very specific and distinctive leather for leather lovers.

There is a later-developing bit of dried, stalky sweetness that mingles in as the sweet grass.

The combination of these three notes is deeply outdoorsy and rugged AF. I simply have no better way to describe it.

This smells like a fall ride, minus the horses.

Wet: spicy, dead wet leaves

Semidry: LEEEEAAATHAAAAAHHHHHHH (the way Rob Halford sings it), wet leaves, and grass.  It's this part of it that feels like a ride.  The leather is the dominant note on me but it's not necessarily gendered.  The grass is sweet without being cloying or overwhelmingly sugary.  

Dry: Leather and sweet grass.

Curiously, both wrists smell the same.  That's odd for me. The leather hung well past my showering the next morning.  It's a very moody, evocative smell (like the East Bay during the rainy part of the year when the hills are verdant and foggy again and the heater is just starting to warm the cabin of the car, wafting the leather boots/gloves/jacket/purse) for me.  Definitely appropriate for maxi skirt-boots, cable sweater, or hoodie-based outfits.

Edited by DigitalCoyote

Starts off very leafy, like ones freshly pulled off a tree. Soft leather underneath peeks through a little.

The leather comes out more as it sits, rather powdery on me. Loses some sharpness but still smells green.

Ends a bit like a nice-smelling soap, which is a kinda disappointing. Not as nice as I'd hoped, will give it another try.

The most prominent note here is soft, well-worn leather, with wet leaves in the background. The sweetgrass amps up on application, adding a pleasantly sweet and green backing, but as it wears, the main impression is soft leather and wet leaves. This isn't one for the leather-averse, but if you enjoy leather notes, this is an atmospheric and evocative blend.

If you like these notes, then this is a winner for sure. I LOVE this, quite possibly my favorite weenie of the year. It's perfectly balanced, the dead leaves don't drown anything out- it is perfectly evocative, balanced and lovely. Like a sexy, (not muddy!) cowboy.

Bpal's leather notes can do no wrong for me.  I don't like the fresh, green, wet dead leaves note, but I even enjoy that note here when paired with this soft, well worn boot leather, like it's so soft and well worn in that I just want to touch it.  It smells like springtime with fresh, new leaves and spring rains and a cowboy pulling on his favorite boots and walking across a field.  A little cologne-like.  I've been wearing Three Pairs of Shoes lately and this is like a colder, cleaner, not as sweet leather surrounded by greenery.  Both soft boot leathers, but so different in character and supporting notes.  I might full size my decant of this Dead Leaves.

Dead Leaves, Boot Leather, and Sweet Grass didn't work for me last fall.  Now it's gorgeous!  I'm so glad I held onto the slonk.  Soft brown leather dominates throughout, but the dead leaves note has finally come into its own.  It is a wet green dead leaves note as described by Little Bird and others, but it doesn't become aquatic; it may be the sweet grass contributing the green feeling.  Comfortable, outdoorsy, totally unisex, totally a pleasure.