Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Pandemic Vanitas

On 10/20/2021 at 12:11 AM, Seajewel said:
Fresh baked bread, takeout fries, raw cookie dough, and cotton blend sweatpants.

This was a must buy for the bread note alone. I am always on the hunt for the perfect bread perfume! The fry note scared me a little but I figured it would lend a sort of starchy/salty quality which should smell delicious! I ended up not smelling it specifically but I think as I expected its sort of a supporting smell that adds something special to the overall blend. 

In the bottle: Wet chocolatey cookie dough! 

Wet on skin:  A yeasty bready note surfaces and it smells like chocolate chip panettone! 

Dry: A soft cotton-y note appears. I am not normally one for that kind of "fresh" note but it blends well with the chocolatey bready notes into a warm, sweet, snuggly note. 

Overall this is a sweet, comforting gourmand. Medium throw and lasted a few hours on me at least! I am incredibly happy with this one and can see myself using it super often! 

Normally I blind bottle foodie scents, but the cotton note gave me a little bit of pause and I opted for a decant of this. Turns out I need not have worried because this is delicious comforting foodie heaven. It smells like warm cookie dough with the faintest hint of something that could be described as cotton and vanilla. This is a full bottle upgrade for sure. 

This one is simultaneously so fun and so comforting, zero regrets on blind bottling!

I definitely get the yeasty bread note which is front and center for me, and right alongside that is the sugary buttery cookie dough - but no chocolate chips for me.

Wafting in from the side is some greasy savory cooking oil from the fries, which turns this from a dessert gourmand to an atmospheric that absolutely brings me back to that mid-pandemic period when I couldn't leave my house for months at a time and was basically marinating in the smells of all sorts of baking experiments and takeout meals in my tiny apartment. Sure there was a lot of dread during that period, but this scent manages to capture the one joy during that time of being able to eat whatever I want all day in my sweatpants at home.

I have to sniff real close to get the cotton, but it's there, and it just rounds off the scent to make it super cozy.

This one starts off strong on the bread, backed by the cookie dough. I haven't tried Loaf, so I can't compare the two, but I can say it is not the same buttery milk bread found in Unsubtle Euphemism from this year's Lupers. It smells more like a rustic, yeasty bread. The cookie dough gains strength with time and eventually takes over. I don't get any chocolate chips, but very late in the day, before this faded away, it ended up making me think of a light chocolate puff rice and marshmallow cereal (and I was there for it). I also get that vibe from Zeep's Elf Cookies wax after it has been melting for a while (Sweet almond sugar cookies and marzipan macarons stuffed with vanilla buttercream frosting), so perhaps it is a sugar cookie dough note doing that. I never got the fries on my skin (I thought I smelled them in the background in the decant), and the same goes for the cotton sweatpants, but that's fine by me. :dance: 

I wasn't sure about the bread phase, but the cookie dough in this is so awesome and takes over quickly enough that I believe there will be a bottle in my future. :) 

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever smelled. I laughed hard.. it's literally french fries. Like hot, oily fries and maybe even a pickle. Extremely potato. There's a cookie somewhere in there too. I can't decide if it makes me hungry or nauseous. Absolutely hilarious.

I was kind of nervous about the bread and fry notes, but they combine to make a yeasty and starchy backdrop that greasily grounds the sweetness of the prominent chocolate chip cookie dough. The cotton sweatpants note reigns the foodiness in a bit so it's not overwhelmingly dripping with buttery oil. Pandemic vanitas smells like sitting around at home in a comfy hoodie and sweatpants eating delicious snacks and it's wonderful.

This basically smells like buttery cookies and a note of fresh linen. It's basically bread, cookies, and cloth. Good throw and wear length.

This is so delightful! It starts with the fries and bread for me, then after it dries it's all cookie dough. A full meal of carbs :) 

I forgot I put some on and I kept catching whiffs of it and thinking "what smells so good?" 

in the bottle it's all cookie dough.  chocolate chocolate chip.  pretty delicious! 

on skin, the cookie dough drops to the back.  a sweet buttery bread rises (heh) to the top, backed by a nice clean cotton (vanilla floral?) that stays soft and inoffensive, and provides a nice counterpoint to all the foody elements.   i don't smell fries, but it's probably rolled into the savory bread smell for me.   it's yummy, without smelling like straight up food. 

tl/dr:  buttered bread boo! 

eta:  i did a side-by-side sniff with olisbokollike, to compare that buttered bread aspect. the cookie dough in vanitas, which i thought had faded to a background kinda cookie sweetness, really popped back up in the comparison!  except now the cookies have definitely been baked.  i can smell the crispy brown edges. 

so now it's cookie boo?

smell is weird, man. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Very realistic cookie dough.  It smells just like making cookies and adding in the chocolate chips and vanilla extract to get that soft vanilla chocolate aroma.  As it dries down, the freshly baked bread note makes an appearance and starts making me crave chocolate brioche.  Chocolate brioche and raw chocolate chip cookie dough.  I think it's cool that the cookie dough never takes on a baked cookie scent and never goes caramelized or toasty on the edges.  I'm really thrilled that I tracked down a bottle of this.  The fries and cotton scared me off initially, but neither of those notes make an appearance on me anyhow.