Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Elderberry Flower & Sandhill Plum

Super plummy, just as Tom & Galen mentioned in their review. It's very pretty, very purple. It smells a lot like the plum in my beloved Dionysia. However, the elderberry flower doesn't play quite so well with my chemistry - after 10-15 minutes it turns into a mild sort of Craft Store Ambience.

Full disclosure: I have never smelled elderberry flower. Also, when I looked into Sandhill plum, I found info about the fruit itself but also about how the entire blossoms are edible. Intriguing, right?? Then: This duet being for a good cause, I thought why not give it a go.

I’m so glad I did! I definitely get floral blossoms from this, no fruity or jammy notes, but also I can’t say that it smells “like flowers.”(Helpful, right? LOL) Some florals tend to screech on me but this one whispers, not too soapy or fresh but not like a bouquet either. It’s more like if one were to *imagine* the scent of these two notes rather than *actually* smell them.

And damn I wish I could describe this better, hype it up a little, because this blend is GOOD.

I get...plum, and floral, and...spice? It is a very purple scent: rich and dark and autumnal. I do agree with marared that it dips into Autumn Craft Store, a bit, or maybe a small overstuffed local tea & spices shop. Good throw and staying power, so far!

This one was not on my radar, as I do not really enjoy plum notes, but a friend sent me a partial to try as they said it was more floral than anything.

And they were right. This is a strong, somewhat perfume-y elderberry flower with some plum hovering around the edges, making it a very purple scent. The plum has a realistic plum skin note to it that reminds me of the plums growing in a neighbor's yard when I was growing up. It gains strength over time, eventually becoming as strong as the floral component, but for most of the wear, it hovers in the background and allows the elderberry flower to shine.

I don't think this is a scent I would reach for, as I probably wouldn't wear it on its own, and I'm not sure what I'd layer it with, but I am glad I got a chance to try it.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Gentle plum blended with white flower. This isn’t a super-fruity plum-centric scent like Bordello. The elderberry flower really is the star. I’m only familiar with elderberry syrup, not the flower, so I can only describe it as a general white floral. That is not very helpful! But I do like it and plan on keeping the bottle.

In the bottle: Elderberry and plum.

Wet: First on, heavy wafts of elderberry but very quickly tempered by the sweet fruit and woody pit of the plum. I honestly can't remember if I've tested a blend with elderberry in the past but on me, it's not dissimilar to night-blooming jasmine or lily of the valley. 

Dry: Very pleasant with a slightly quaint olde worlde feel to it; neother too floral nor too fruity. Quite glad I went for a blind bottle here, it's not something I'd normally do. Mild throw, with a pretty standard lifespan.

Stars: ★★★★