Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

White Oakmoss & Lavender

White Oakmoss and Lavender starts off being lavender dominant, backed by the white oakmoss. The lavender in this duet is an herbal one. The white oakmoss is definitely lighter than its normal counterpart, allowing the lavender to remain the star of the show for longer than it normally would against the regular oakmoss note (which I amp). Then it becomes a swirl of lavender and oakmoss until the white oakmoss dominates at the end of the day (the lavender hasn't completely disappeared, though). The combo is somewhat cologne-like to my nose. I swear I get a bit of bergamot from the white oakmoss and perhaps a touch of white amber? But maybe I'm just too used to associating oakmoss with chypre, and that's why I'm getting those vibes. It smells rather sophisticated, like something a dapper individual would wear.

I would not wear this alone as a daytime scent, but I'd be curious to layer it with something like Antique Lace 2017 and pair it with Le Coucher de la Mariee Hair Gloss, because I bet that combo would work out really well. I will also try using this as a sleep scent and may upgrade to a bottle if I like it for that purpose, but if it doesn't work for sleep, I will be fine with my decant.

Herbal lavender and a whiff of mossy oakmoss. This one is calm and soothing. Medium throw and wear length.

I get mostly lavender on me. The oakmoss ends up giving the lavender a wet, soapy quality to the scent. Not to my tastes, wish it had gone a little more earthy.

This one starts out rich, herbaceous lavender. After application, the oakmoss amps up but doesn't get overwhelming -- it adds more of a soft, mossy greenness that complements the lavender and keeps it from getting too herby/medicinal. Soothing and pleasant, but my skin apparently eats this one up, because it's gone in an hour. Will hang onto my decant, though.

Starts out evenly balanced and a bit of a Gaueko vibe. Later smells like an oakmoss powder mens fougere mix with lavender in the background. I amp oakmoss, so take with lots of salt here.

Herbal lavender at first, mostly, but the oakmoss is more forward than I expected for the fresh phase. It is a pale oakmoss, like if you married oakmoss to a little linen and orris root. 

This smells like a light and lovely sleep blend to start, but the lavender fades from me quickly. It leaves the pale oakmoss, which goes a bit powdery, again reminding of orris root.

This is herbal lavender, slightly camphorous, my favorite. The oakmoss is soapy and almost aquatic. It reminds me of the moss in Parthenope. This is like a soothing lavender soap, in a good way. When I wear this for bed, I can still smell it in the morning. 

The oakmoss smells soapy on me and also kind of peppery like white pepper almost, not in a bad way.  Mostly I'm getting the fougere vibe others mentioned.  The lavender is actually pretty quiet, doesn't stand out a lot. 

I got this specifically as a substitute for Antiheros by Etat Libre d'Orange which is a clean soapy lavender, woods and musk scent, but I think it's discontinued.  As a substitute this duo is fine (it's close but not exact), but it's really just a nice scent on its own.  Since I got this I have decided oakmoss is a note I should avoid, but the white oakmoss here is pretty well-behaved.  It doesn't turn into overpowering 70's men's cologne, like oakmoss sometimes does on my skin.  For that, I am happy.

Very lovely. An equal balance of moss and lavender, with the two notes shifting back and forth on the scales as the hours go by.

This seems like a wonderful sleep blend, and I could see this serving as a nice base for mixing with other fragrances.

I would say, if you enjoy herbaceous lavender, this is well worth having. I'm usually ambivalent towards lavender, but this is tempting. It's just so simple and true to the notes.

ETA - Yes, this is fougere in a bottle, ready to be added to all your other favorite fumes.

Edited by VetchVesper