Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is a dual-purpose protection and anti-anxiety blend. As the saying goes - in a crisis, you have to put your oxygen mask on first before you can help anyone else, and this oil is designed to help you calm and center yourself, protect yourself, and grant yourself space and clarity so you can move forward in strength to assist and support others.

This oil contains ylang ylang, elemi, chamomile, and blue tansy.

Scent review: I can smell the 4 notes listed. Thankfully the Ylang is most prominent. There's a touch of Blue Tansy (which, I hate to say, I strongly dislike the scent of, despite using it for skin care and aromatherapy at home) but the Chamomile is just underneath the Ylang and Elemi is just barely perceptible as a lightly astringent higher pitched wood scent (that is not a favorite of mine). So, Ylang and Chamomile. It smells lovely and has sweetened up on my skin in the last 30 minutes. I am truly glad to have a bottle of this because it called out to me for it's intended use. I'm just glad it smells good, too! 

I'm not familiar with blue tansy or elemi notes. I can smell the ylang ylang. Unfortunately for me when I open the bottle and on my skin I get strong Lemon Pledge. If I can make myself not wash it off and let it calm down, I'll come back for an edit, but at the moment, I smell like a well oiled antique table.

I actually like this.  It's a bracing sort of resin on me, and yes, I am getting resin for sure, almost like bowling alley polish but in a good way.  Definitely a little citronella on me.  Citrussy, good for concentration.

Note: I am only reviewing the scent, not its purpose.

Isychia is reminiscent of a citronella candle and smells that way throughout several hours of wear. It does get considerably more herbal with wear, as the chamomile becomes more prominent, but I still can't shake that vibe whenever I smell it.

While it does smell somewhat calming, there are other TALs that I graviate towards more on the anti-anxiety front.

Scent-wise, the ylang is pretty low-key -- the chamomile and tansy stand out more, with the elemi giving it an astringent, medicinal edge. The elemi calms down with wear, leaving me with a subtle, herbaceous floral. I do find it calming -- this one called out to me both for the scent notes and because, well, 2020.

I put this on yesterday when I was really rattled and angry.  Our dog had slipped out while my husband had the sliding glass door open and was spraying a model airplane.  She usually doesn't wander far and comes back when called, but we couldn't find her.  He, my son and I were all out yelling for her.  She finally came trotting out of a neighbor's yard.  When we got her back in, I said she could no longer be outside without being leashed.  "Yes, that's clear," my husband said.  And then, as I headed downstairs to my office to give a lecture, I saw the sliding glass door was WIDE OPEN again, and my husband in a different room.  

So, Isychia.  It's not the kind of thing I would have chosen as a scent -- ylang ylang is not me.  I'm not sure what elemi or blue tansy smell like.  It's a little bit tropical floral, a little astringent, a little citrusy.  I was able to make out the chamomile more as it dried down.  I think it helped me get my heart rate down so I could do my job.  I'll have to try it again when I'm not in a panic situation, as part of the stated use of putting my own spiritual facemask on before I can help others.  

I use Isychia everyday as it works and helps with my anxiety! I love it so much. I see it is out of stock so I am on the waiting list for more. Ylang Ylang definitely works for me. I immediately dab it on behind my ears after every shower so that I am always wearing it. Alas, I have other BPAL scents but this is a must wear for me even if I layer it with another BPAL scent. Thank you Beth and BPAL. ❤️

I need to use this blend more because it's great.

Smell: I get ylang ylang, a hint of sharp elemi and a floral, and a base of chamomile when it's fresh. This scent morphs a bit throughout the day. I like it best when it's fresh but I can't change my skin chemistry.

Purpose: I'm dealing with anxiety-induced doom scrolling (election results -- eek) and put Isychia on. From the first moment that I smelled it, I started feeling more relaxed. It pulled me back from the edge of Twitter and recentered me so I can focus on what I actually need to get done.

I got Isychia for Teadaughter, but she strongly dislikes the scent, so it's mine now.

Scent: When it's wet, it's a sharp, herby floral.  It's a little soapy.  Dries down to a mild, skin scent, reminiscent of a floral soap. 

Purpose:  The way this blend smells to me is lavender-adjacent, which gives me a nudge toward relaxation.  The scent makes me aware that I want protection and anti-anxiety, which is a very strong nudge toward mindfulness and self-care.

Overall, I'm finding Isychia a good addition to the 2020 self-care bag of tricks.  I'm dabbing a smidgin on my mask before my public transit commute, and my work mask.  

Purpose: I purchased Isychia as anti-anxiety support for centering myself before helping others, and I appreciate it for that purpose. It gives me a sense of being grounded, fortified, and receptive. I keep this close at hand as a self-care tool.

Scent: This isn't a heavy-lidded essential oil relaxation blend. Though floral, the scent is herbal and fresh in a way that can be sharp, bracing, and heady but never unpleasant. A little dab on the skin is quite strong at first and it lingers for hours. Over time, it becomes more floral and clean.

Like Teamama above, I keep this on hand as a self-care tool.