Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Coconut and Orris Root

The sweet coconut and powdery orris combine to make a sweet, floral, buttery powder scent that smells just like Lush's Silky Underwear/Alkmaar to me.  It's crazy because they don't share any notes, but once these two scents dry down it's uncanny. 

Wet, the coconut is the most forward scent with sweet iris, but as it dries down the orris comes in all buttery and powdery.  There's also a little dry brown to it, like the coconut husk. 

This is an intriguing scent that shows more facets of it's personality to me every time I sniff it.  (Is that too dramatic?)

A strong coconut scent. With the orris, it leans more towards a buttery/coconut meat side of coconut, with almost an earthy quality to it. Definitely not a sweet coconut here.

The coconut in this is of the same variety as in Obatala, so if you liked the coconut note - soft, cool, not at all foodie- then you will likely adore it here as well. There's a sweetness to it that I had attributed to the tiare note in the HG that contained both and pikake, but I'm seeing now that it was the coconut all along. The orris, instead of reading as dusty as I've come to know it, has morphed into something more akin to gardenia, making this scent overall a cool, light floral. Beautiful, to be sure, but not really my scene, as I'd be hoping for more of a toasted, foodie coconut and a dry orrise to cut the sweetness. Off to the swaps with ye! :D 

I liked where this started -- a slightly gardenia-type clean earthy coconut -- but the orris root turned it into coconut baby powder deodorant. :sad: 

Throw is about medium. Longevity was quite short, less than an hour.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Love love love.  This starts off with lots of orris, which I adore.  Orris smells like silvery iris petals (the actual flower scent and not the sharp perfume version) and creamy, pale violet dusted in powdered sugar.  It's a very natural and delicately sweet floral smell with no sharpness.  Over hours of wear, the orris fades more and more to the background and the coconut becomes stronger, and it's a glorious, buttery coconut that doesn't remind me of suntan lotion, but is very soothing, creamy-buttery, and gourmand.  Beautiful fragrance.

Wet I got lots of orris, dry and powdery with a trace of bitterness on my skin.  Gradually it was taken over by the coconut, and the combination worked surprisingly well on me.  Soft tropical coconut with the orris keeping it from going foodie.  I like this one!

Dry, yet creamy. This is a smooth, non-foody, coconut… milk or husk, not really meaty. No hint of sunscreen or tiki drinks. The orris root is dreamy: fibrous and carby. 

Low-medium throw. 

This is lovely on its own, and I can see myself layering it to ground some of my flightier scents. 

Edited by Estamets
Forgot to mention the orris, don’t want anyone to think it’s a coconut SN.