Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Revisited! ‘The Devil’s Bake Sale’ has come back to town.

2004 Version: Affectionately nicknamed 'The Devil's Bake Sale.'
On first application, this smells just like sugar cookie mix, sweet and powdery dry. In a very short while, however, this becomes boozy sugar and shortbread on me, and then it disappears. Ah, well.

2005 Version:
Just like the 2004 version, the 2005 version of this blend is sugar cookie mix on me. This time, however, it actually comes off a little boozier, on first application. After a short while, however, it takes on a powdery note, and it's slightly plasticky as well. Again, unfortunately, this isn't for me. Edited by Shollin

05 version

I must say, I like this better than the 04 version, which had such a strong doughy milk note that it made me sick after half a day of wearing it.

The O5 version, oddly, doesn't seem to have the "flour" scent that pervades most BPAL "baked goods" scents. It does, however, have a sweet rum note, which is fortunately quite appealing to me, despite my general dislike of rum notes.

In fact, the best way to describe Sugar Cookie O5 is this: eggnog+sugar cookies--ta-da!

A pity it lasts all of 10 minutes on me =( although it does mix very nicely with Three Witches.

Wet: buttery vanilla rum, very enticing

Dry down: Rum scent immediately disappears. Strange burnt scent develops rather strongly, on top of the sugary vanilla scent.

Later: Burnt ash scent fades to background but is still too prominent. Sweetness gone, leaves vanilla almond, which would be great, if not for the funereal ashes and a bitter note. My skin can really do some weird things to scents! :P

Wow, this is sweet! It's vanilla and yeah, egg nogg'ish a bit. This is really yummy. More like the sugar cookie dough (to my nose) than the baked result, but still, good enough to dip your fingers into the dough and take a nibble.

:P

Typically foody scents hate me but I needed to try this...

In the bottle - Has anyone ever had Butter Shots? Its a butterscotch and rum drink thats sooooo good. Thats exactly what this smells like! Damn, now I want a shot, lol :P

Wet - Still smells like Butter Shots buts its getting warmer and sweeter.

Dry - Fresh, out of the oven sugar cookies, maybe a touch of cinnamon and still a bit of the butterscotch, but the rum is all gone. AND IT SMELLS GOOD ON ME!! I can wear a foody scent!!

I LOVE this, may have to get another bottle.

Sugar Cookie was one of my favorite scents from last year, I loved the nutmeg in it and it was quite long-lasting on me. Luckily I just got an imp of the '05 version because it is quite different. My beloved nutmeg is gone and it only lasts about half an hour on me :P . I hope Beth goes back to the original formula next year :D .

Sugar Cookie is wicked. It goes on a boozy vanilla and as it warms, turns to a lightly golden vanilla cookie. (Love. Gourmand Love in a nutshell.) The sugar starts reacting badly for a few moments (like the cookie is burning), but my chemistry only ruins it for a few seconds. I can't complain. I was expecting it to go the way of Sugar Skull and eat off my arm. I'm glad it has not. The recovery time is thirty seconds, maybe, before it morphs into a baking cookie instead of a burning one.

5/5 on Medici's Scale O'Love

I had *serious* sugar cookie craving today (they are my favorite cookies--I love the simple sweet butteryness of them!). So after I came home from work, I baked some. :D And I slathered on Sugar Cookie 2004, to keep with the "mood".

The 2004 version is definitely sugar cookies condensed in perfume form!! On me, I smell freshly baked cookies. A bit of spice--cinnamon? A little burnt sugar and powdery flour. It's so yummy. :P

An hour later, the drydown is a little waxy...but that's okay.

i just recently discovered the joy of the foody perfume in the form of Beaver Moon. i recieved my decant of Sugar Cookie '05 from OriginalWacky last night and immediately tried it.

at first, SC is exactly that, plus a little bit of lemon zest thrown into the cookie. but as it remained on my skin, rather than getting more "baked" it got less so. i ended up with a doughy mess on my skin, and slightly playdoh-y as well.

i was supersad about this! i had hoped to be able to support it with the discovery that i can totally wear Beaver Moon.

so sad!

if it stays true on your skin, this is such a lovely fun scent.

n.

In the bottle, this was mouthwateringly delicious cookie batter. I could actually smell the butter, sugar, and vanilla creamed together.

It stayed that way for about a minute on my skin. Then, bleah, bitter, slightly burnt plastic. Sometimes very sugary-sweet scents do that to me, and this is no exception. Off to the swaps.

i'll start by saying that i got an imp of the '04 version this year and absolutely love it... so of course when i saw that it was revisited for '05, i ordered a bottle.. but.. this isn't my beloved! :P this smells almost exactly like Spooky without the mint... kinda plasticy and rummy.

Sugary, sugary, with more sugar on top.

Too much sugar for me. However, this and Hearth cooperate well. Nice smell, one that should please the sugar-fiends out there.

In the bottle: Sugary Vanilla..

Wet: The Vanilla mellows a bit and theres other layers there.. cinnamon.. almost fresh out of the oven.

Drydown: It almost gets a burnt note on me..

Overall: I like it, definately will wear it when it suits the right mood. But the devil left the oven on a bit longer than I like my cookies. Its not a soft and sugary scent on me like I was hoping it would be. The edges are crispy.. and theres a burnt carmel note to em.

I didn't order this one because I kept hearing cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon in the reviews. Cinnamon NEVER smells like the actual spice on me; it's always red hots. I passed on this one despite loving beth's sweet vanillas.

I don't know if the 2005 version is very different, or whether my skin finally decided to play up what I love and downplay what I don't, but Sugar Cookie 2005 is fantastic- light, flour and vanilla at the top with rum, (must be; it's the cake soaker liquor I smell), vanilla and spices on drydown. This is my favorite stage, as I love booze notes.

Sugar cookie 2005 is very much sugar cookie dough rather than baked, and it lasts a long time with very little throw. As typically unimaginative as this sounds, it's comforting and innocent and very evocative of christmas treats.

I think it's incredibly pretty and fun, and I'll be buying another bottle for...I don't know. For being inside in cold weather days. It would be very, very useful then.

Sugar Cookie 05

In the imp: oh dear…butter! And rum too! Totally different from last year's spicy dough, this is buttery dough with sugar and booze…I hope this doesn't go all Jack on me!

Wet on skin: mmm, it's quite pleasant-it reminds me of Christmas desserts, soaked in rum. It's a rum soaked cookie scent. The butter fades away, thankfully.

Dry on skin: I get a hint of the 'dusty' scent I got with Midway and Spooky (the note that some people interpret as plastic-to me it's dusty paper). One could say this is Spooky without the mint, cocoa, or coconut-it has the same buttery rum, vanilla, sugar and dough scent. I hope this dusty scent fades a bit because it clashes slightly with a delicious sugary dough scent on top. I adore the throw of this scent-wafts of sugary loveliness surround me, but close to the wrist, I get that dusty paper scent.

After a while: the dusty note seems to fade, and the delicious sugary dough scent strengthens nicely. Now I'm beginning to like this, so far, this is my favourite stage in the scent.

Verdict: I was a tiny bit let down by this year's version of SC. Last year's was a gloriously spicy cookie scent with no off notes whatsoever. This year it's a bit boozy, but that doesn't bother me. I'm not keen on this 'dusty cardboard' note that I get with this. I also got it in Midway and Spooky, but in Midway it seemed to go well with the other notes and in Spooky the cocoa-mint-coconut blotted it out a bit. But it seems a bit off in this scent. It's a shame really because though this dusty note is pretty noticeable in here when I smell close to the wrist, there's also a sugary dough scent which is truly delightful, and it wafts around me like crazy, and gets stronger as the scent dries down. That's my favourite bit of the scent. I just wish this year's version had that cinnamon scent that I loved so much about last year's, and none of the dusty note I get in this. I'm keeping the bottle I will get, but I much prefer 04's SC and hopefully next year's SC (if it gets remade next Yule) will have that spice note once more.

At first I smelled maple in this and thought "oh HELL no" because I don't even like eating maple syrup. Luckily that went away, and I got a beautiful sugar cookie smell with a bit of cinnamon. For about half an hour. Then it was all gone. :P I have also tried to wear it in my scent locket but that mapley/rum initial scent is a little too much for me.

'05 Version--

Buttery rum sugar cookies! Yummy! Very sweet and foody! I deffinately get a HUGE boozy note in this, like sugar cookies dipped in sweet sugar cane rum!

Sugar Cookie: Oo, syrupy sweet, like a butterscotch candy. After drydown though, it goes all smoky with the slightest burnt twinge, like a wood fire that's been dousedwith water, but about two hours later. Yet the butterscotch lingers over the top...the Devil's Bake Sale indeed! Alas, poor Mr Devil, I will not be making a larger purchase of his cookies...

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

Phew, this one didn't work on me. I got a very strong "butter" scent (like the fake butter on movie theater popcorn) which had a salty edge, plus heavy sweetness. So it smelled kind of like that kettle corn stuff that is sweet & salty at the same time (not my fave combo). Then after a few minutes it smelled like some cinnamon red hots had been thrown in on the kettle corn. I actually felt nauseous from the "butter" after a while and had to wash it off. Thank goodness some of the other foody scents (Gluttony, Bliss) are tasty on me, so I can part with Sugar Cookie. Away you go to be swapped!

This and Lick It were the only two Yule blends that worked for me. The others I tried seemed to be All Pine, All the Time.

But boy, did this one ever work for me.

Please, please, PLEASE try this with Snake Oil! I'm begging you! So so so so SO good!!

In the bottle: this smells like Smell This' "Cake Batter."

Wet: Nice bloom of vanilla with a cinnamon undercurrent.

Dry: Oh, no. This gets way too foody and overpowering on me. :P

Alas.

In the bottle: Butterscotch candies! Oooh yum!!

Wet: Still butterscotch but a hint of vanilla and cinnamon

Dry: Plastic-y butterscotch :P And it's giving me a slight headache.

I sooo wanted to love this!!! Apparently, my chemistry isn't made for Sugar Cookies.

In the bottle - Butter and rum, which is worrying, because Grog was terrible on me.

Wet on me - Liqueur truffes, with a little bit of that ashiness that suggests it might go bad on me.

Dry on me - Ashes, the weird butter/alcohol notes combined with my skin chemistry reaction has struck again. So sad.

This actually scared me in the bottle. It smelled like butter and liquor. Like I just drank a bottle of Captain Morgan's and some of the imitation butter you put on movie theater popcorn. But on me it's a whole different story. It smells sugary and rich and very true to its name. It's sweet and stays close to my skin and in short is everything I love about foody scents.

Imp swap luv'n from Karikazo! :D

In the bottle: buttery sugary goodness, almost caramel. This is promising.

Wet: Eggnog? Wow, I like the smell of Eggnog, this is good. If this keeps up, I am going to be in love.

Dry down: the sweetness has calmed down, this has gotten creamy, and ..... WTH? Coconut??? Uh oh. I am smelling like a Pina Colada, this is not good nor Christmassy or Yulie, unless I was in the Caribbean at the time. Hey Santa, all I want for Yule is a paper unbrella for my drink!!! :D Stupid chemistry!!! Why couldn't it stay Eggnog? :P

30 minutes: OHHH isn't it a lov-a-ly bunch of coconuts? Smokey, creamy coconuts. Not bad as coconuts go. At least it isn't a Yule Pina Colada.

Conclusion: Not for me. Turns to coconut, a very nice coconut, but a coconut never the less. I don't like coconut. I don' t like to eat it, drink it, or smell it. Suntan lotion included. I would have liked this better had I gotten more of a Snickedoodle out of it. More spice. Or if it had stayed in the Eggnog smelling phase. I am going to try this as a room scent. But I don't really want a big bottle.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, 2.5-3.

Edited by atropos