Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
reynardine

Snake Oil Lemon Bomb White Tea Fuck Up

We’re running out of room at the Lab, and it’s been a long, long time since we’ve had a trunk show. When Brian and I were rifling through the prototype and snafu shelves a few weeks ago, we dug up two busticated Snake Oils – one that was a mispour of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, and another involved an Aggravated Vanilla Incident – and we unearthed the very first Samhain prototype from 2002.

We don’t have time to do a full-blown trunk show right now, so we’re offering these three for sale. They’re in very, very limited quantity.

I happened to like Lemon Scented Sticky Bat when I tried it years ago and Snake Oil is magic on me, so I thought what the heck, give this F@ck-up a try. First impression from the bottle--wow, this smells weird. No other word to describe it. Snake oil with citrusy lemon, but not like Coral Snake citrus. On me, the description is note-perfect. It's Snake Oil...Wait, no! Sticky Bat!...No! Snake oil! It morphs back and forth between the two. Finally, it ends up smelling like the kind of home-made lemonade that you find at county fairs. No tea note at all that I could pick up. I think it would be wonderful in the summer. I like it!

I love Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, so I was SO happy to see this Snake Oil variation!

Wet: YESSSSS. Snake Oil with lemon sugar.

Dry: Stays pretty similar to the wet stage; Snake Oil, and lemon sugar. It seems extra-sweet on the dry down, though. This is WONDERFUL. Like a summer-appropriate version of Snake Oil.

So. Good. If you had any doubts about how well the Lemon Scented Sticky Bat and Snake Oil would play together... don't. It's awesome.

I really wanted to like Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, but it never worked on me. Variations on the theme, like Happy Baby In A Long Dress and Spirit Board: YES, on the other hand, are amongst my favorite scents, especially during the summer months, so I was willing to risk it on a bottle of this Snake Oil Lemon Bomb.

And it does NOT disappoint!

In the bottle, I get a sweet citrus note, reminiscent to the old Strawberry Shortcake Lemon Meringue dolls from 30 years ago. Once applied, the citrus shifts and mellows and the scent, as others said, and becomes a perfect, lighter Snake Oil, that I think will be a great summer addition- can't wait to see how it ages!

In the bottle: Snake Oil accompanied by Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat’s lemon sugar!

Wet: The lemon sugar shows up first, and I can smell some Snake Oil behind it, but the lemon sugar is the star right now. After a minute, I get some of the astringent, lemon-y white tea. Whenever the Snake Oil tries to assert itself, the lemon gets stronger, as if it so say, "I am not done yet!".

Dry: The sugared lemon and white tea are still going strong, but Snake Oil’s musk and spices are more playing a greater role now. The Snake Oil base increases over time, so that it ends up becoming lemony, musky Snake Oil after several hours of wear.

Verdict: I enjoy citrus scents, so I had to try this Snake oil variant. I am a fan of it when it is heavy on the lemon sugar, but less so once Snake Oil’s musk becomes really prominent. I am not a fan of fresh Snake Oil and only like it aged or with other notes added, so I think it just needs some time to age. Then I bet it will be a lovely summery snake! :)

IDK why the Lab calls this stuff Fuck Ups because I know there are many fans who live and die for super LE blends. And with Snake Oil?! Um, sorry honeys, but that’s not a mistake that is a home run. 😝 So anyway. I’ve only ever sniffed LSSB, never skin tested it, but I recall it being a delightful sugar-lemon scent. Snake Oil tends to get along well on my skin after it ages a bit, and blends with it tend to be hit and miss based on other notes. This seems to be a hit so far! 

Very lemony at first but not as sweet as expected. I think the white tea is very grounding with that sweet lemon, and keeps away any “cleanser” vibes. Very strong SO base note, but it plays well with the others. I’m excited to find I can wear this scent now, whereas I usually have to age SO before I can truly enjoy it; and of course, I’m excited to see what this becomes over time. Glad I took the plunge!

Lemon sugar with white tea dries down to a citrusy Snake Oil. Yup, the spices of the Snake Oil re-assert their dominance on the drydown. Medium throw and wear length.

I forgot that this was a LSSB variant. I think the white tea covers up enough of the lemon sugar that it's easy to see these 2 as entirely different. Citrusy Snake Oil is an accurate description, but the tea on my skin amps more than the citrus, so it's not as sweet as I'd expect. It's pretty and light, but interesting enough for me to hang onto.

when i first applied this, i thought it was pleasant enough to keep, maybe something i'd reach for on hot days when i wanted something light.  but as the day has worn on, i have actually grown to love it.

i wouldn't say it betrays too much of either its snake oil or its sticky bat roots.  it's a beautiful lemon musk sweet tea.  the real master stroke here is the white tea.  it lifts everything up with just brush of astringency.  the effect is a musk-heavy blend that still reads as "clean." lemon has a tendency to disappear on me, but i'm finding that it melds with musk very nicely, giving the musk some zing and the lemon some longevity.   i discovered this phenomenon in penis bound with gold ribbon, and it holds true here as well.

this is also one of those blends that seems to sink in, disappear, then subtly radiate from your pores all throughout the day.

i will treasure this bottle, and would probably grab a backup if the occasion arose.