Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Harrison Weir

Golden apples, cedar and redwood trellises heavy with grapevine, beeswax, hemp, vanilla benzoin, and bois de rose.

I like this blend a lot when I first put it on. The apples, wood, grapevine and hemp all combine nicely. I can't smell the beeswax or vanilla. It mostly disappears after about ten minutes, sadly. I've only had it for a week, though, so maybe it needs more time to become more than a close skin scent.

Apple, roses, wood and a hint of beeswax and hemp.

There's a ton of things going on with this. It opens as a very green/apple blend, and then the roses start to bloom, and then you catch a whiff of the cedar/redwood with touches of beeswax and hemp. Honestly, this smells like if you were out on a Mediterranean apple orchard.

You know, the type where those golden apples are grown. The kind that start wars when you throw them at goddesses. Yup, this smells like the orchard that generates those types of apples. Medium throw and wear length.

Sweet apples, backed by wood notes with a touch of green. The apple is strongest while wet, and it fades a bit when it dries to soft vanillic woods.

In the imp: A strongly green, sappy scent (if I didn't know better, I would say dandelion), overlaid by juicy apples.

Wet: The vegetal green notes, now with woody overtones, clash with the almost floral and/or green apples for a few seconds before settling down into something smoother and richer. Now it's still a green scent, but a very "perfumey" green. It smells classic, like something my grandmother or great-grandmother would have worn.

Dry: The green notes last longer than anticipated (usually they burn off within a few minutes on me), but after an hour or two they're mostly gone, leaving sophisticated rosewood/vanilla/benzoin - pretty, but a little soapy. Hints of beeswax still hang around, as does a certain woodsy greenness, but the latter in particular is very faint.

The Goat and the Vine is strong on the golden apple note, with the cedar residing right behind it throughout wear. The redwood is behind those notes, but honestly, they're so strong on me that the redwood note is pretty light. I get a little hemp and bois de rose after several hours. The beeswax and vanilla benzoin never show up on me, sadly.

I love the golden apple note in this, but I wish the sweeter notes had shown up on my skin, and the cedar is stronger than I'd like it to be and doesn't seem to be a variety that is playing well with my skin chemistry. It was nice to get to try it, though!

For me the apple disappears quickly after application. On me this is about the woods and grapevine. The beeswax and benzoin smooth the woods and launch it into very perfumey territory. It's a very green and woody sophisticated scent, a soft cologne. 

On the wand, this smells like golden-green apples, white grapes, and a dry, grassy bit that might be the hemp. A touch of woods, a Mediterranean orchard. It smells like the garden of the Hesperides.

Fresh on my skin, it's still a bright golden apple and white grape blend, resting on a more muted background of greenness, grassiness, and woods, blended like an oil painting. 

Dried, it blends into an orchard cloud and adds a little perfumey vibe. 

This is basically some Greek mythology in a bottle.

There's something very cool and fresh at the top of this blend. A combination of a fresh plant smell and clean cool apple juice. And also some very dewy rose.. Very well blended, very clean and pretty.

The greenery smells a touch aquatic. Very realistic wet plants. The grapevine and probably the hemp. Definitely not a weedy smell. It does have a bit of a musky quality to it though.

The apple really just leaves a juicy wet crispness.. I wouldn't really think of it as apple without knowing apple is in here, since the actual apple-ness of the smell disappears fairly quickly.

The rose is beautiful, dewy and fresh. A touch sour.

I really only get the tiniest hint of any wood notes. Not really any cedar, mostly rosewood, but again it's incredibly mild.

The benzoin and beeswax are mild, just forming a smooth sweet base for this all to rest on.

Overall this is a really pretty perfume, but it fades very quickly. It's a real shame because it is gorgeous.

Imp: apples, fresh grass, only a very little of the cedar mentioned, and none of the other notes at all

Wet: earth and apple orchards heavy with dewy grapes, a waft of hemp on the air - and perhaps a touch of the heartwood coming in. A faint base of vanilla benzoin which I assume will amp on me.

Dry: more vanilla resin than apple in the end, and not as long-lived as some of my apple scents. The apple note itself is very similar to that in Snow Glass Apples, but warmer, and without the ozone overtones in that one.

Overall pleasant, if mild, but not one I'd seek out more of - I have plenty of apple BPAL around, and quite a few that work better for me than this did. I will keep it for now, however, to see how it ages; hopefully it'll firm up and last a little longer, given all the wood that's in it.

Stars: ★★★★, probably half a star more than it deserves on performance but I'm very biased when it comes to apple notes.

Edited by alyelle

I received a partial bottle of this, so it's had a bit of time to age and settle (getting shipped around aside).

In the bottle, it's a painfully sharp green scent, with immense throw, smelling almost akin to pine.

On the skin, it's much more mellow. This one starts out tart and grassy for me, a freshly-sliced Granny Apple with a hint of leaves. Apples grow juicier about thirty minutes in, and then it mellows out into something I can only really describe as a warm, honeyed milk (the beeswax and vanilla?).