Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
marilyn eyre

De Sade - Resurrected

These long-dead scents are back for a limited time in a slightly tweaked form!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

Oh, I don't want to be the first because I never smelled the original! But...wow.
Just - wow.
This is my Holy Grail leather scent.
Not only is it gorgeously rough black leather, but smooth brown, and every other kind somehow wrapped into one. I want to roll around in sheets that smell like this. My clothes should smell like this. It's creamy, rich, and just delicious. I swoon when I smell my wrist. Strictly an at-home or date scent. Wow. I blind bottled this right away and I'm going to pick up another before they come down.

Alas, also never smelled the original. That said...

In the imp: Yep, that's fresh, clean leather!

10 minutes out: Mmmm. Constant whaft of soft, fresh leather as it dries down. Reminds me of walking into a shop that sells leather coats and clothing, not the kinky kind, but the basic sort.

1 hour out (and onwards): Exactly the same, the warm, comforting scent of clean leather. It's absolutely lovely and while I might not want to wear it every day, it's just... perfect as what it is.

It smells like leather. It is not synthetic or plastic on me. I can't say I like it, but it is certainly realistic and leather fans should definitely go for it.

I have not tried the original.

In the imp: Oh, this is lovely. I think this is a conglomeration of leather notes rather than a single one. Black leather, brown leather, clean, white leather… all well-worn.

Wet: This is a very realistic leather scent. When I smell it, I am immediately transported into a room full of leather and can even envision the texture of it. I still believe it is a mix of leather notes. The leather is fresh and soft… I’m not getting any harsh, chemical-y leather here.

Dry: This one isn’t a morpher on me. There’s a point at which I feel like there’s a bit of a farm-y aspect to the scent (for lack of a better description), but that ends up going away.

After a few hours of wear, it is somewhat softer, but it still smells the same.

Verdict: I typically only appreciate leather scents when they’re paired with a sweet note. De Sade Resurrected does not contain one, but I still enjoy it. I will be hanging on to my imp, and I’m going to give it a full day test with Mikado Saloon HG before deciding whether or not I need more of it. :)

i still have an imp or two of the old, original one. i so wanted to like it because i love the smell of new, high-quality leather. (i don't buy new leather, only secondhand, but i don't begrudge anyone who does. because then i get to smell it!)

...but i never liked the original. i hoped, perhaps, this new version would be more what i was wanting it to be... but, sadly, it isn't.

don't read the spoiler if you like this scent, or want to like it. ok?

the most leather~ish aspect i can possibly come up with is dry-rotting suede. which is a smell i know pretty well, due to the demise of my early 90s boot collection. and one fringed jacket (it wasn't mine, it was just left at my house and never claimed).

really, though, it smells kinda like a damp brown paper bag, and a flea collar. way back in the 80s and part of the 90s, i'd buy these white plastic flea collars for my mostly-white Cleo [i miss you so much, my beautiful baby girl!] and when they were new, they were whiffy so i'd let them air out for a few days before putting them on her.

my husband was watching Ghostbusters (the original one) earlier this evening and i kept getting distracted trying to figure out what smelled so bad. eventually i figured out it was me, from the tiny droplet of this i'd tried on. vinegar, and two very smelly Bath & Body Works soaps later and i can still kinda smell it.

for folks who wanted a Dead Man's Hand or Quincy Morris type, sorry, this isn't it.

I bought an imp of this after rediscovering my old original imp, and was surprised that they smell similar - perhaps even the same. On my skin it vibes as a soft grey scent, foggy and cold. Earthy. It doesn't scream 'jacket' or anything else. It's the same leather that's in Violens. Excellent layering scent.

I never tried the original, as I have just recently begun to find there are certain leather notes that don't smell like horrid chemicals on me.

Wet: Soft, warm, worn, slightly spicy leather. It reminds me of the leather in Unicorn and Ram, only more prominent. It doesn't read as a single note of leather to my nose, I get a warm animalistic muskiness as well. The whole scent is much warmer than I expected, and I am really enjoying it. I am finding it more comforting than sexy, more "snuggle me" than "spank me", if you will. ;)

Dry: This is so nice. It's super cozy and comforting on me. Light, almost a skin scent, low throw. I keep getting faint whiffs though and going in for a bigger sniff. It's lovely. I can't see wearing it, or I would get a bottle. I think this imp is enough for me, as I really just never reach for leather scents, but I am so so glad I got to try this "classic". I never expected to like it so much. Leather lovers, get you a bottle before it's gone again!

I really can hardly smell this at all, just a whiff of chemical leather. I really don't like leather blends anymore, I just wanted to see what the fuss was about, and I can honestly say for me, I wasn't missing anything.

I have an imp of something called de Sade but no way to date it.  I assume it's this one because the original is discontinued and sought after.

Wet and dry, I got leather but it was kind of wet/suede or chemically.  

I've never smelled the original to compare, but it does smell exactly like what I expect when I expect to smell leather. That might sound like an underwhelming response, but "leather, and only leather" was what I was hoping to get, and I was not disappointed. I wouldn't say it smells soft, but it doesn't smell chemical-y to me.

It is, unfortunately, very faint to me, and does not last long at all. A shame, because I find it pleasant. The scent does not seem to change over time as I wear it.

Finally re-visiting this one; was digging through my old boxes and did a random pull this AM.  Glad that I did.  I am not familiar with the original De Sade, but when I first got this it went to total plastic on me, which is odd because the Lab's leather notes--all of them--are usually very good on me.  Glad that I gave it some time to rest.  So, now...in the bottle:  STILL very bottle-tight; getting a slight whiff of leather, like the glove counter at a fancy department store.  On, wet:  At first, I am greeted with a bit of the New Car Stink that I dreaded, but that tones down/airs off quickly and it goes into a Biker Shop Leather Jacket kind of smell--brand new black leather, lots of it.  Not polite doorman's gloves leather, but really raunchy overdyed black leather jacket and chaps combo.  Drydown:  Long drydown and it stays All Raunchy Black Leather All the Time.  Medium throw and wear.  Glad I got this; can use it now as a "needs more leather" booster scent for blending as well as wearing it on its own so that I don't have to dig into my precious stash of Riding Crop.  Having said that, if you are prone to having certain leathers go all plastic on you, give this one a miss.  It's the first Lab leather that I ever had even get CLOSE to doing that on me, and the end result leather scent IS pretty powerful.  This verges on being a single note.

This is a black leather dream. In the bottle, it does smell a bit chemical-y, but on my skin it immediately becomes smoky black leather. There's something reminiscent of brown leather in here, like a black leather jacket on top of a pile of soft suede leather. Can't wait to try layering with it.