Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red roses, black leather, and toasted almond.

I thought this had the power to be SOOO sexy. Red rose and leather! I could hear the castanets and the flash of a switchblade knife in my head.

In real scent life . . . more like new age music! The Toasted Almond is the predominant note. The leather is non-existent on me and the rose is not full-bodied, but cloyingly sweet.

Fortunately, it's mostly overpowered by the Almond.

Unfortunately, the scent is like an old funeral wreath that died in a metaphysical store on me. It makes me think of head shops that had too overpowering a smell and gave me a headache.

Warning, though--my skin is non-normative. You may have better luck.

Not great sillage nor longevity.

When I first sniffed Six, I wasnt quite sure how I felt about. Then I applied it, and, well, I still couldnt decide. It was intriguing, sure, but there was something unsettling about it. The leather note stood out, but it wasnt the crisp black leather, dreamy white leather, or fuzzy brown leather Ive smelled in other lab blends. This wasn't an aged leather, but rather something fresh, something you could crack in half with your hands. Then the almond was there, slightly bitter but not unpleasant. I got no rose, which was both sad and strange because I amp that note like nobodys business. The overall smell was too perfume-counter scent with way too much sillage but poor lasting power over time.

Turns out I was wearing it all wrong. The first time I applied Six to my wrists, inner elbows, etc., like I normally do, but I guess it doesn't like my bare skin. However, if I rub it into my hairline at the base of my neck, it is downright magical. I finally can smell the rose, and the tang of that almond is now bright, warm even. That leather still isn't like any other lab leather, but it feels much more broken in this way, like an old olfactory friend; it definitely loses most of its jarring undertones. Lastly, when applied this way, I can smell it for at least 14 hours, a little puff every time I swish my hair.

So yeah, Six is weird, but it takes time and Im glad I gave it another chance.

eta to fix grammar, and once again my damn tablet messed with my apostrophes. I am sorry about that, everyone!

Edited by Leopard403

Wet, this one tries to steal the show. It smells like I slathered on Whip and Wanda at the same time and then someone dumped a jar of marschino (sp?) cherries on me (it may sound odd, but this is a *good* thing). It would be the clear cut winner of the bunch, except like it always does, the delicious cherry/almond note fades within minutes, and leaves a somewhat powdery, slightly less boozy smelling Wanda behind. Like Wanda's shy, well behaved little sis who has dreams of booze drenched leather parties, but unlike Wanda, never quite actually goes through with it...

This reminds me a lot to Whip. Black Leather, red roses, and a sly whiff of almond. Good throw and wear length.

Reviews for Six have been very uneven so far, so I might as well chime in. I have relatively picky skin chemistry, but this is very true to concept on me. The dominant note is a true red rose (the sort I'd hoped to get from Rose Red, which went sour on me). The leather and almond are supporting notes. It's nicely balanced. Grown up. Sexy, but not over the top. This might be the first bold rose that's ever really sung on me. I'm happy with it.

I am expecting this to be like Whip (which I love) with a twist. The leather in Whip is one of the best leather notes, on my iffy skin chem. Fingers crossed it's the same one.

Wet: OMG so much almond. And leather. Ooohh, but it's the good leather!! Yay. It actually isn't the same as the leather in Whip, to me. It smells more like a worn, suede type leather. It's fantastic. I love it with all that sweet almond. The rose is like an afterthought so far.

Dry: The throw from this is an amazing leather note. The almond is totally gone (almond is super strong on me then disappears). The leather is dominant, but the rose and remaining sweetness, all that's left of the almond, are both very present. It goes through a phase where it is slightly sour, but settles into something pretty amazing. I am trying really hard not to love it, and not succeeding. I will have to death match it against Whip. I can't need both....right?

The almond in this smells like that maraschino cherry/almond extract type of almond, which I really don't care for. It starts off all almond extract, but finally starts to fade after about a half hour (which is too long for me), and then I can smell red rose and a hint of sharp black leather. The rose goes slightly soapy on me in the drydown. I prefer Whip in the GC for a black leather & red rose fragrance. I think that Whip is a lot stronger than Six and doesn't have the almond extract or soapy thing happening in it.

mostly almond and leather with a hint of rose to start. whip doesn't work for me, yet i still have hope that this will ;) i like how the cherry-sweetness of the almond brings out something interesting in the leather. shortly thereafter i get a sour rose, the same sour rose i get with whip. i keep hoping to find a rose/leather scent via bpal (because i've found it other places) but thus far it just isn't meant to happen. :/

Six was lots and lots of lovely toasted almond at first, and I love almond, with rose next and leather the most retiring of the three notes. In short order the almond calms down as it always does, and the rose steps forward, a red rose that stayed round and true on my skin. I've had trouble recently with rose going sour, but not here. Lovely. But the leather decided to play hooky. I was testing Snake Skin on the opposite wrist, and it was like all the leather was over there. It's very possible that age will make the leather more prominent. I'm going to test this one more time shortly before Lupers come down to see if I get any more leather.

In the decant: Lots of almond (the kind I can’t help associating with cherry) and rose. I only get a trace of leather in the background if I inhale really deeply.

Wet: The almond note is very strong, and I can’t help but thinking of cherry when I smell it. The red rose is also pretty potent. I wonder if that is also contributing to the cherry association, or if the leather is, as I can smell it now, and I’ve had some leathers do that on me before. Unfortunately, this smells really medicinal on me at the moment. I hope that changes.

Dry: The leather is more prominent than it was before, and I still get the red rose, but alas, that medicinal vibe hasn’t gone away.

Verdict: The almond in this one just didn’t work on my skin, sadly. I prefer Whip.