Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Henryka Weyssenhoffa

Terebinth, fir needle, and smoke.

Sooo... I have no impulse control and I had to test it right when I got it even though I know I should have waited. Slathered it on and instantly was sad. It became old bathroom bar soap.

But! I tried it later and it was much improved. I don't get much smoke from this, instead it really reminds me of the bloc na nollaig atmo (yuletide in a bottle). It has pretty decent throw but settles close to the skin after an hour or so. I might be wearing this more for winter but it has great layering capabilities for fall I think.

When I first apply this is all fir and pine. It threats to go in a Pine-Sol direction.

But, during the dry down the pine softens allowing the smoke note to come out.

Once this dries it smells like being in a forest and smelling a camp fire in the distance.

The smoke just sorta' lingers in the background; never gets overwhelming.

I really love this scent.

As a note, on the bottle this is spelled Przecaucie.

I do get the comparisons to bathroom soap, for sure. However, imo, it's not a negative comparison. If it's piney bathroom soap, it's the best possible version.

Wet in the bottle, this is all menthol and pine. There's some wet soil/damp wood complexity in the first sniff, but by the second one, it's all drowned out by menthol and pine, and boy is it LOUD. Dry on skin, it really calms down. It's still very much the same, but that screaming Vicks note fades into a chorus of pine, rather than taking center stage like a howling banshee. I also lose quite a bit of that bathroom soap comparison at this stage. There's still something about it that could be construed as faintly soapy, but it's pleasantly so. It's very much a late evening, wet, misty pine forest, with fresh needles crushed into the damp black loam underfoot. It's fantastically moody. I get almost no fire or smoke though, unfortunately. I'm not sure I'd wear this much by itself, but I am completely fascinated with the layering possibilities because I think it's strong enough to lend itself beautifully to that end. I have a bottle of Bonfire SN coming soon, and I'm definitely going to try them together. I'd also be interested to see a tart-sweet red fruit layered with this--maybe a Christmassy berry.

I tried a dab before heading out hiking yesterday and could still smell it on myself afterward, so I'd hazard that this has at least average wear and decent throw. I think I like it enough to keep, and I'm interested to see if the mentholy pine calms down a little between now and Christmas.

Edited by MischiefofRats

In the bottle, this was awful to me. Really sharp and almost like pee or something? But on the skin, it is quiet and soft and fresh and a little smoky. I don't find it especially mentholic or piney. I suppose mostly it feels very evocative and atmospheric, like standing in a forest with clean woodsmoke hanging in the air.

That's strange, it's spelled Przeczucie on my bottle.

I LOVE this one! Strangely, the smoke was so strong when wet - it really reminded me of old church incense - but that soon faded and the fresh pine took over for a while, but then was softened by smoke in the background again. As time passed the smoke became more and more prominent.

This smells so Christmassy to me, I love it. Not exactly Halloween though, lol.

Edited by seida

I couldn't really smell the smoke in this one upon sniffing, but it came out A LOT after I applied it. Smoke and woods--very nice.

Well! Somebody dragged the sticky sappy fir tree into the fire and the flames went out. This is certainly a cold weather weenie. Here in Texas Halloween is sweaty business. It's either smoldering hot, or pouring rain, but NEVER EVER cold. How do I spell it - Przeczucie takes me to the woodlands where the fires burn and the kids run around glistening, evergreen trunks in their costumes. The air is chilly and people are outside drinking hot cider and chopping wood. It's a dream for me, just like this scent. I think I need a bottle of this for my transformation to take place. I want to be there in this thicket, if not in real life, but just beyond on the silver cord.

Edited by Jenjin

This is pretty much SN Fresh Pine for me. Luckily I love pine! I'm not getting any smoke so far, but I'm interested to see how this ages - I usually love my evergreen blends even more with aging. I'm also planning on layering it with Samhain when I want Extra Forest.

This is evergreens and just a hint of smoke. Beautiful and evocative of being outside at night in the winter.

Smoky fir! Actually this makes me think of Yule and Mistletoe more than Halloween. This would have been a great scent for the Yule Lads from last year. Manly. Good throw and wear length.

This blend is a cold-season conifer forest: pine, fir with its frosty tone, and wafts of smoke adding depth and a sense of wolf-howl loneliness. When I picked this up, I’d imagined the smoke to smell light grey and wispy, but it reads to me as dark and sooty. I like all smokes, though. There’s no sweetness in this scent, and it smells dry.

Low throw. Lasts 1 – 2 hours on me, less than average.

I can't believe it's a Weenie and not a Yule! It smells so much like my beloved Bloc Na Nolaig (sp) atmos.

It's surprisingly wearable on my skin and took on a soft, sweet floral quality as it wore for a few hours. I'm so excited about this!

I love this scent. Ive been looking for a forest scent, specifically one that reminds me of my home in the NC Mountains. The pine note in here is perfect for that and the smoke smells like a bonfire on a crisp night. Its like a hug from a sexy lumberjack.

I foresee a lot of wear when Im feeling homesick, and tired of the swamp of Eastern NC.

I am really into this, and have already put a fair dent in my bottle.

It starts off rather tarry (or pine-tar-soap-y), which I think is mostly the smoke - but that wears off pretty quickly, and I am noticing it becoming less prominent with even a little bit of age.
The middle stage is a beautiful true-to-life evergreen which somehow does not smell of toilet cleaner. That is talent, friends! :tongue: I think the fir helps add to the naturalness.
After a few hours the pine fades back a bit and the smoke comes out more. It is sweeter and just the tiniest bit soapy again, but not in an offensive way. Good throw, especially in the first and second stage; and good wear-length especially for the final dry-down, for me.

Even though it is quite spooky & evocative I also find it oddly comforting.. And despite being very Autumnal / Wintery I am finding it completely wearable in warmer weather, even cooling. I have been ill with some weird flu-thing the last few days, and this has been just perfectly soothing yet enlivening at the same time.

ETA: This is what I wanted Black Forest to be, before something in that turned it into disturbing bathroom deodoriser on me..

Edited by spikyfairy

Wet/In the Imp - cool/cold, wintery fir

Freshly applied - sharp, almost anise-like fir needle & terebinth (as opposed to what I think of as "Christmas Tree" fir/pine). No smoke at all. I'm testing Thanatopsis on my other arm, and one of the two makes the inside of my nose feel cold/tingly for several moments even after I've stopped smelling it, but I can't tell which.
As it starts to dry, something in Przeczucie also strikes me as soapy - I think maybe this is via association because things like Old Spice shower gel contain pine notes?
30 minutes in - my nose still feels weird tingly-cool on the inside from those first sniffs. Some kind of sensitivity? Anyway, the strong pine/fir scent has faded and Prz. is now soapy pine (still no smoke) with hints of sweet fir right next to my skin, but mostly it's soap. This is the soapiest anything that isn't an aquatic has gone on me in a while. I have no idea what's turned it into straight-up soap on my skin but soap it is.
From this point onwards, there's very little morphing, just several hours of soap, soap, hints of pine if I put my nose right to my skin, and more soap.

Wet, Przeczucie is sharp evergreen on me, but soon enough it softens, as usual.  No smoke is apparent at first, though it comes out gradually once the overpowering evergreens back down a bit.  Like several reviewers, I get a tinge of soap, but not enough to put me off.  However, I don't get more than two or three hours longevity from this.  It's nice, but there are other forest scents like Forest of the Empress that I get better wear from.  This is the painting, if anyone's curious:

Henryk_Weyssenhoff_-_Przeczucie_1893.jpg