Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I don't know what cassis or clementine smell like

Cassis is a black currant and Clementine is a tangerine......... :P

Years ago MAC cosmetics put out perfume oils (maybe they still do but I haven't been able to find them since). My very favorite was called Asphalt Flower and was very violet-y. I am pleased to report that Le Serpent Qui Danse is very, very similar and makes a most satisfactory substitute.

any bpal suggestions for lovers of Guerlain's classic Vol de Nuit (narcissus, iris, oakmoss, vanilla, galbanum)?

I would love love love to know this too! It's not easy to get alas.

Wow, I'm surprised I missed this question because I would have responded sooner. Vol de Nuit is one of my all-time favorites...it's woodsy, smooth and beautiful. I strongly suggest trying "And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt," one of the Salon scents. It's resinous, woodsy, soft, slightly powdery, and enigmatic, very much in the same style as VdN.

Can I go the other way for a second? I'm one of those girls who hated her entire first order of imps, and I'm dying to love something!!!

My favorite "outside" scents:

Michael Kors (love that tuberose)

Eau D'oolong (Out of production -- WOE)

Stella McCartney (but so much alcohol! yuk)

Garden Botanika Sandalwood Oil (hording the last of this, its my favorite thing ever, but not really sandalwoody -- much creamier and less sharp than you'd expect sandalwood to be)

Victoria's Secret Pear Glacee

The vase of Stargazer Lilies on my table three days after I should have thrown them out

Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

Tzi

I love Aqua di Gio for men from Giorgio Armani - anything like it among BPALs?

And what about Calvin Klein - Truth?

(most BPALs turn very sweet on me so I'm searching some that won't do that)

Some more recent finds...

BBW's blackcurrant/vanilla aromatherapy smells like Eat Me.

Colonial Candle Company of Cape Cod's Gold and Frankincense candle smells like Angel and/or Xiuhtecutli.

Pink Sugar smells sort of like Pink Phoenix. Or rather, Pink Phoenix smells like Pink Sugar layered with Hollywood Babylon.

BBW's Twisted Peppermint 3-in-1 smells like Lick It.

BBW's Spiced Apple Rapture 3-in-1 smells like Brisingamen.

If you like Bvlgari pour Femme, then you may want to try Syabris. Beautifully similar, I've enjoyed Bvlgari Femme for years - but it would vanish within an hour. Not Sybaris!

I'm still looking for a BPAL that resembles my beloved Frapin 1270, notes:

exotic woods, spice, raisin, vine flowers, pepper, candied orange, nut, hazelnut, prune, cocoa, coffee, leather, woods, white honey, vanilla.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

any bpal suggestions for lovers of Guerlain's classic Vol de Nuit (narcissus, iris, oakmoss, vanilla, galbanum)?

Jacob's Ladder always reminds me of Vol de Nuit. It's slightly more golden and less melancholy, but I think they're similar. Lucretia is in the same family, as well. :P

Wow, I'm surprised I missed this question because I would have responded sooner. Vol de Nuit is one of my all-time favorites...it's woodsy, smooth and beautiful. I strongly suggest trying "And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt," one of the Salon scents. It's resinous, woodsy, soft, slightly powdery, and enigmatic, very much in the same style as VdN.

Oh you wonderful, wonderful people! Thank you, I will be chasing those down like the olfactory harpy I have become.

Can anyone suggest some BPAL with a similar scent to Chance by Chanel or Burberry?

Cross between Angel and Lolita Lempicka: Xiuhtecuhtli

Prescriptives Calyx: Empyreal Mist

Terpsichore: Oscar de la Renta (maybe only on me though??)

Othello & Ode on Melancholy: Jean Paul Gaultier

What about something similar to Curve Crush? I was hooked on that for the longest time before discovering BPAL, and I don't plan on getting rid of what's left of the bottle I have anytime soon, even if it does go to waste.

Edited by ForeverLastcXs

I would LOVE to find a BPAL scent that's a ringer for Chanel No 19...it is possibly my all-time favorite fragrance.

Someone once suggested La Belle Dame Sans Merci as a match & I tracked down an imp. Sadly...just not the same thing on me.

Also, a BPAL fragrance similar to Ralph Lauren Romance for women?

Any suggestions?

Also, a BPAL fragrance similar to Ralph Lauren Romance for women?

Any suggestions?

Seconded! This is one of my favorite non-bpal fragrance and a friend of mine would become an instant bpal-addict if I could find something similar. She's resisting but not for long.....*insert evil laugh here*

-If you like Angel, try Xiuhlecuhtli.

-If you like Shalimar or Obsession, try Haunted (which is almost exactly like Shalimar).

-Gingerbread Poppet is very similar to Demeter’s Gingerbread.

-Yankee Candle’s Hazelnut coffee smells exactly the same as Gluttony.

-I can’t tell the difference between Elizabeth Arden’s Green Tea and Embalming Fluid.

Shalimar is my mom's signature scent. I thought Fenris Wolf dried down to a feral smelling Shalimar.

Can I go the other way for a second? I'm one of those girls who hated her entire first order of imps, and I'm dying to love something!!!

My favorite "outside" scents:

Michael Kors (love that tuberose)

Eau D'oolong (Out of production -- WOE)

Stella McCartney (but so much alcohol! yuk)

Garden Botanika Sandalwood Oil (hording the last of this, its my favorite thing ever, but not really sandalwoody -- much creamier and less sharp than you'd expect sandalwood to be)

Victoria's Secret Pear Glacee

The vase of Stargazer Lilies on my table three days after I should have thrown them out

Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

Tzi

Oooo, another Garden Botanika hoarder! I've got a teensy bit of GB's Vanilla Musk left....I'm hoping to find a vanilla musk in BPAL that replaces it.