Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

thank you Forspecial Plate :thumbsup:

You're welcome - I tried LLaM again last night, and thought of a couple more recommendations.

Absinthe - "An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon"

Absinthe and Lace - "A scent of dissipation and ennui: green cognac and icy absinthe, louched, spilling onto lace that is drooping with neglect and darkened by tobacco smoke"

These are a little more obvious because of the anise, especially Absinthe and Lace - that one has a sugary aspect that might be more like LLaM. I think the "lace" note in that whole series is a kind of sugary cottony linen. I noticed last night that LLaM has a more sugary sweetness than what I remembered.

Also,

Black Annis - "a mixture of damp cave lichen and oak leaf with a hint of vetiver, civet and anise"

Black Annis is a lot more earthy and mossy, without any sugary sweetness, but it does have a big anise note going on that you might like.

I stand by Mad Hatter because I think the "gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne" part, and the cool herbal pennyroyal note, are reminiscent of LLaM. Good luck, hope this helps.

OK I posted in here about possible dupes for Dior Homme Intense a while back but I just tested Haunted and dry it smells so much like DHI on me even though it shouldn't.

thank you Forspecial Plate for your detailed analysis, I will look for my frimp of Mad Hatter (because i know i have one somewhere !) and when i'll try it i would tell you of what I think of it :)

Hello all :)

A friend of mine likes Happy by Clinique and I want to gift her a Bpal that is similar. I have done a search of this topic, but since the former question about Happy was posted quite a while ago, I wondered if there are any new Bpals that may qualify? I know about Beautiful and Adored, 51, Xiuhtecuhtli, Night-Gaunt and Aizen-Myoo. Would you agree those may be suitable? Thanks for reading :)

Definitely try those. I'd add Jiggery Pokery from the Scalia line, and Pepper from Good Omens. Both have a bright, citrus-floral feel that make them sisters to Happy.

I am looking for recommendations for BPALs that are similar to or just like Dolce and Gabbana's *The One".

Notes are: Bergamot, mandarin, litchi, peach, white lily, vanilla, amber, musk.

I have done a search of this topic with no result - any suggestions?

Thank you!

I've never smelled "The One" so just going off notes here:

Belle Epoque - Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood

Fae - white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss

Tamora - Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean

Those are about as close as I can think of.

Thank you LizziesLuck, much appreciated :smile:

"The One" by D&G is very "golden". The three scents you suggest are all described as "golden" in their reviews.

Not sure which note gives that golden impression but I will order imps of these for sure.

Thank you LizziesLuck, much appreciated :smile:

"The One" by D&G is very "golden". The three scents you suggest are all described as "golden" in their reviews.

Not sure which note gives that golden impression but I will order imps of these for sure.

Tamora, for sure. You might try Imp, too.

I've managed to find a few BPALs my girlfriend likes, but she's really enamored of Gucci Guilty Black. Her BPAL loves are (Not So) Penitent (Mini) Magdalene, Mouse Circus, Pink Lace, and Hope and Fear Set Free - so nothing at all like the commercial favorite. :frustrated: Any suggestions?

I smelled Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud . I must seek out the BPAL equivalent.

The BPTP Snow Queen update isn't officially live yet, but they're putting it up right now, and this is one of the perfumes:

DARK AND WEARY PERFUME

Somber oudh, grey benzoin, raw bourbon vanilla, and tobacco.

I'm not sure if this belongs here because the perfume I love is a candle. It's a ludicrously expensive Glasshouse candle called Bois Magiques which is scented with cedar, nutmeg and musk and I want to smell like it all day, every day. It's a deliciously smokey wood, that has a lovely musky softness. It smells like how I imagine a fairy tale character who lives in a cosy cottage in the woods would smell.

Would anyone be able to recommend a BPAL with the same vibe?

I'm not sure if this belongs here because the perfume I love is a candle. It's a ludicrously expensive Glasshouse candle called Bois Magiques which is scented with cedar, nutmeg and musk and I want to smell like it all day, every day. It's a deliciously smokey wood, that has a lovely musky softness. It smells like how I imagine a fairy tale character who lives in a cosy cottage in the woods would smell.

Would anyone be able to recommend a BPAL with the same vibe?

I'm not coming up with a whole lot here. But maybe:

The Cat (Neil Gaiman's Coraline) Sleek, black, dark, and clever: benzoin, honey, cedar, and dark musk

Sadly that was all I could come up with that had both cedar and musk and note a zillion other notes. I am sure others can recommend more.

After reading the reviews, The Cat sounds absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Hope it's somewhere close to what you were looking for!

I love reading this thread. I tried to search it for "oh Lola" but it didn't return. Do any of you have experience with oh Lola reminding you of a bpal oil? Thanks!

My mom doesn't think that BPAL can smell good she always tells me I smell like baby powder or Bengay. She wears Celine Dion by Celine Dion the notes are:

Red Berry

Violet

Lilly of the Valley

Yellow Rose

Tiare

Orange Blossom

Jasmine (ironically she's allergic to Jasmine, I'm not sure if she knows this is in there)

Blonde Woods

Sandalwood

Amber

Musk

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them! Thanks so much! :wub2:

My Mother wears a ton of BPAL but her first love will always be a department store fragrance called Royal Secret. So far I haven't been able to find a BPAL that smells anything like it but I would like to find one that's similar, for her.

It has citrus top notes, middle notes of jasmine and rose and then bottom notes of sandalwood, musk, myrrh and I have seen some places say it has amber in it but I cannot be perfectly sure on that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (:

• Top Notes: Raspberry Lychee Sorbet, Sparkling Mandarin, Juicy Nectarine, Apple, Mirabelle Plum

• Mid Notes: Sun-Kissed Magnolia, Gardenia, Plum Blossom, Fresh Picked Jasmine Sambac

Dry Notes: Vanilla Sandalwood, Vanilla Orchid, Blue Coconut Water, Sugared Musk

Anything close to this would make my day. <3

My parents keep bees and have for years, so I love all things honey-scented for the nostalgic associations (my mother, who likes all decorating to have a theme, buys honey-scented, soap, lotion, etc. to go in the cutesy little beehive-shaped soap dispensers. There are bees on the kitchen curtains and tea towels. Everything is bees!). My all time, holy grail honey scent is Boots Royal Jelly/Pure Honey (actually a bubble bath oil and shower gel), which alas, can only be purchased in Boots drug stores in England. I do not currently live in England. Short of begging people in the UK to ship me bottles of it, there's no way for me to get it in North America :(

I've tried many different BPAL honey blends (O, Redoul Honey, Chokecherry Honey, Tobacco Honey, etc.) but so far nothing has been quite the same, though most of them are awesome in their own right. (Lush's Honey I Washed the Kids isn't quite the same, either, though also awesome). Any UK forumites familiar with my beloved drug store shower gel have any suggestions for what BPAL (or BPTP) blend to try next?

Trying to find something that my mom would like. I know she used Laura for the longest time, once it was hard to find switched to 5th Avenue. Not sure what is her current one...

I do know she hates sweet smells, likes floral and more aquatic scents. Hope this is not too little information... :wacko2:

Laura by Laura Biagiotti: A fresh top note with peach, lychee and watermelon. A floral middle note with freesia, violet and iris. An ambered woody end note is constructed by sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver, amber and musk.

5th Avenue (Elizabeth Arden): The top notes are lilac, linden blossom, dewy magnolia, mandarin and bergamot. The heart notes are Bulgarian pink violet, ylang-ylang, jasmine, Indian tuberose, peach, carnation and nutmeg. The base is composed of amber, Tibetan musk, sandalwood, iris and vanilla.

Help much appreciated. :hugs:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me. I love Oud and came across this Oud whilst out shopping...can anyone recommend any BPAL Oud scents that might be similiar to this?

JULIETTE HAS A GUN ANOTHER OUD is sequel to fragrance Midnight Oud, created of deep woodsy notes with key ingredient precious wood surrounded by fruit and tamed with the warmth of musk and Ambroxan. The composition opens with a union of bergamot and sweet raspberry announcing Norlimbanol oud wood warmed by musk and Ambroxan in the base, in a sensual way.

Thanks!

Rosagrimm, perhaps Alice The Reaper of Cruelty (no wood, but almost spot-on for other listed notes), Anteros, Bette Noir, Fae, Megaera, Desire, or Aperotos Eros (no fruit)? Some of those depending on if you find patchouli or moss to be acceptable and woody.

Hopefully I've narrowed down your search!

My Mother wears a ton of BPAL but her first love will always be a department store fragrance called Royal Secret. So far I haven't been able to find a BPAL that smells anything like it but I would like to find one that's similar, for her.

It has citrus top notes, middle notes of jasmine and rose and then bottom notes of sandalwood, musk, myrrh and I have seen some places say it has amber in it but I cannot be perfectly sure on that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (:

These might work:

Versailles

Grand, courtly and robust: a glittering, golden scent that would do Louis XIV proud. Gilded red and gold citrus with amber, ruby roses, jasmine and orris root.

Moscow

A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine.

Namaste

This oil blend is a serene, soothing Indian blend, created to bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit. Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

Personally, Moscow is one of my absolute favorites from BPAL. It starts off on me a little strange and overly floral, but then it settles down after about half an hour into something utterably amazing.

-------------------

I ran across the strangest thing the other night. My Dad wears Ralph Lauren's Polo. He's been wearing it for decades. It's the only thing he wears. Last night I was testing Lawful/Evil from the RPGs. It started off a little fruity, but on the dry down it smelled exactly like Polo. To the letter. I have no idea what's happening there since Evil has things like tobacco and opium tar... but there you go. So weird.