Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Where I come from, ghosts are not to be taken lightly.

Terror by birthright. A legacy of sorrow, violence, and undeath: chrysanthemum petals, crushed violet leaf, and funereal incense.

[from the prototype at loved to death]

the incense on me is lovely wafts of soft frankincense. ghosts is a skin scent, very light; it truly wears like a spectral and otherwordly veil. the flowers are dried and restrained: the chrysanthemum not too honeyed, the violet not sweet. the whole thing feels translucent. I think it really does capture the image of a victorian ghost wonderfully. it's light enough that some might miss it but for those who can tune into it, there's a lot going on here. one of the employees at ltd mentioned it had become one of her favorite perfumes to wear. Edited by annemathematics

Ghosts kind of reminds me of a muskier, sharper, more sheer and slightly less sweet Antique Lace. It smells like wafts of old, musky perfume, a slight soapiness that's reminiscent of shaving cream, a hint of sweet vanilla-violet, and a powderiness that makes me think of old cosmetics powders covered in dust. It smells ghostly in that it's like swirls of faded perfumes and powders. The incense adds a very slight, dusty smokiness to the whole thing. The cosmetic powdery violet is most noticeable; I'm not sure if I'd be able to pick out chrysanthemum or incense if I didn't know they're supposed to be there.

I like this, but I wanted it to be a dark violet and heavy incense, and it's overall rather sheer, powdery and more bright than I was hoping for.

I must second everything that Little Bird says, however I must add that there is a beautiful etherealness to this scent that can not be explained by the notes.

Unexpectedly light, which people have already said... I'd like to tack on that that lightness, for my body, meant the scent left pretty quickly. Maybe part of the intent? Unlike some other scents that do not stay well on me, THIS i would buy (tested from a decant.) To me, this one is worth having to reapply several times. Violet is the strongest note I personally get, then lighter incense.

I live very close to Lafayette Cemetery No. 1. This scent, to me, should live there with the dried flowers outside the mausoleums. Perfect.

This was a surprise favourite for me!

In the bottle, the violet hits me first, though it isn't a super sweet violet, it has a hint of green-ness that divulges the fact it's violet leaf rather than the flowers petals. I get a hint of the sweet incense underneath too.

On the skin, oh my god it's beautiful! The florals get stronger, but they are very powdery and soft, they don't ever assault your nose. I am a huge lover of violet, and while I typically love that cloyingly sweet, candy-like scent that you get from the flower, I am in no way disappointed by the more subdued violet that the leaf lends this scent. If violet scares you, this may be the blend that changes your mind! The incense is dusty and sweet, adding to the powdery, soft feeling of the whole thing. Throw starts off strong but fades gently into a ghostly whisper after a couple of hours, which of course I think is fitting for this scent, even if it means frequent reapplication.

So in end I'm left with a beautiful dusty violet incense. I think annemathematics said it perfectly when she said the whole thing feels translucent, it really does! It feels very old time-y and Victorian, and very appropriate for a ghostly scent. I think I will wear this a lot!

I get a little of all the listed notes here. The violet is not too strong, the chrysanthemum is not too sweet, and the incense is not too smoky. It is very well blended.

It reminds me so much of The Sorceress, without the lavender. I will need to do a side-by-side test of them, I think.

I really enjoy this!

yep, this is very soft and ghostly. i get violet right off, but it's a more green/watery violet rather than a candylike one. there's some incense backing it up and a hint of chrysanthemum adds a sweeter floral element. the incense is rather soft and dusty, as i'd expect in a scent like this. i think i'm amping up the chrysanthemum too, because after a minute or two i don't smell much violet anymore-just soft chrysanthemum incense. the violet does come back, but it's softer and mingling evenly with the other notes. it's so pretty and soft and reminds me a lot of high end japanese incense.

Soft watery violet, hint of mums, and frankincense. It smells slightly funerary, slightly incensey and nostalgic. Low throw, good wear length.

Soft, watery, floral.

The crushed violet leaf and chrysanthemum petals are an excellent blend to go with this incense. They are not too much floral, but create a dried perfume that mingles with the incense. I wear so many incense-based scents, and the incense in this reminds me of Clermont, but instead of rose I have the dried petals. Beautiful!

This review will be straight to the point.

This has become one of my favorite Crimson Peak scents ever. There is just something about it that I cannot explain. It's soft, elegant, mysterious. It flows with such a tenderness that is just absolutely stunning. On me it's very delicate and non invasive and very much a scent I wear for myself and not other people.....

It's the most creamy violet incense you could imagine with not a hint of chrysanthemum, on my skin at least. Violet and Violet leaf are notes I adore very much so this is being upgraded to a bottle ASAP. Bravo Beth (:

Edited by Haltija

This is so evocative. It smells like rain and cleanliness and open windows on cold mornings. An attractively moribund, melancholy note. It makes me think of a grandly appointed bathroom with heavy soft towels, twee soaps in printed paper from English department stores, and all traces of blood scrubbed spotless.

Oooh, the chrysanthemum in Ghosts is very nice. The violet leaf is relatively restrained, and the funereal incense adds a bit of light smoke—a little blurring. This smells almost like old linens taken out of scented storage paper, very evocative of the past. It's very soft, and at times, the sillage smells a bit like a lighter Gypsy Queen. Very nice, a beautiful capture of the concept.

So. On. Point.

This is the perfect evocation of its namesake. It immediately brings to mind an old, creaking Victorian home and one of those large glass cabinets used to display strange odds and ends. I think of old lace, dried flowers, hidden altars. The chill of some unseen presence and echoing footsteps and whispers throughout.

Wet: Ghosts is so much sweeter than I anticipated, and the violet leaf (which is usually very green and somewhat bitter on me) I find smells more like violet flower, but not in a way that makes me instantly hate it's face. So that's interesting. It um, kinda smells like bananas? Or banana candies, or popsicles, BANANA FLAVOURED THINGS, if you will. Very interesting. What's even more interesting is that I don't hate it. At all. I don't know what to think, the world's turned on its head.

Dry: Ok, so there are no bananas here (unless you count me). I don't know where I got that from. It DOES smell a bit like violet though (or maybe more like orris, which smells like a less-sweet more-powdery violet to me). That kind of scares me, cuz I thought violet leaf was a safe note for me, apparently not. Anyway, bananas, violets, whatever this is, I don't hate it, but it's not for me. It has managed to confuse the heck out of me though... "Ghosts of Liz's sanity" might be more apt right now. Note to self, no more testing while heavily medicated... :biggrin:

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do! But then again every crimson peak blend has been top notch: Unfortunately this bottle busted while in the mail, however it must've been recent cause I still got to test some on my skin.
It has the same eerieness/darkness from mother ghost, and something comparable to the stuffyness in the manuscript. An old, dusty room full of antiques, and a looming presence. The insence really compliments this as that ghostly veil, and the florals are slightly sharp.

It's really quite beautiful and ethereal. Not crazy in your face but not unnoticeable either on my skin! I don't know if I need a bottle of this though it's unfortunate the imp died! :P

Edited by Cali