Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Minh Scent

Osmanthus

(I did search the topics and could not find this one specific note. Sorry if this is redundant.)

The osmanthus are blooming , reminding me I long to smell like them! Here is a list of BPAL with osmanthus notes. Has anyone tried any of these, where the osmanthus is evident? I am guessing it might be over-powered by other components.

Fairy Bites (osmanthus first note mentioned)

Belle Venu

Brusque Violet

Cordelia

Flora

Mokey

Kali (presently OoS)

Ouiji

Sanctus

The Ghost

Luper 2015 Night Pavillion

Blacker than Raven Wings has it, but very light (beautiful oil!) (This s the only one I tried)

Thank you!

Edited by Minh Scent

I have no earthly idea what Osmanthus smells like, can you give me any idea? I might be able to give you an idea in Fairy Bites or Brusque Violet and I also have imps of Oiuji

Fairy Bites is great btw.

I'm still not sure what Osmanthus smells like, but I'm pretty sure it likes my skin. It seems like blends that have it always smell good, but I'm not sure if it's the scent of the osmanthus itself, or if it's perhaps making other notes smell good via some sort of magic. (For the record, I'm not a fan of most florals, but there are certain exceptions including lilac, gardenia, tuberose, and hyacinth.)

There's a few "shouldn't work on me but does" scents that I've recently realized all contain osmanthus; Ouija, Belle Vinu, and Shoggoth especially. Now that I've realized the trend, it's time to collect and try more! :)

Edited by BoneBone24

Osmanthus actually smells closer to apricot than to a floral. It is sweetish, but not at all cloying.

Ah, if you have been sniffing around California plants, it is called the sweet olive there.

Oh, if you have the anniversary scent "Pouting the Strains of Sacred Song", it makes its appearance there...and perhaps that is the best I can get. (Not shoddy at all!)

I am thinking that if it is mixed with other florals, they might knock it out. It does not have the strong smell of white flowers.

Here is the bit about it from Fragancia.

seeing the picture I know I have seen that flower in California (I used to live in LA) but I never noted the scent of it.

My strongest scent memories from living there are the Jacarandas and the night blooming jasmine.

I reviewed Belle Vinu, which I really liked, almost a year ago, and wrote, I don’t know whether it’s more accurate to call this a flowery peach, or a peachy floral. I’m not familiar with osmanthus, and that must be what I’m smelling, because I know all the other notes.

Osmanthus is the only floral note in Belle Vinu. I have never knowingly smelled it in real life; I grew up in Pennsylvania and now live in New England, and I don't think it grows in either place. I think Belle Vinu is worth a try if you're looking for that note, though.

I have a bottle of Sanctus. It smells strongly of what I take to be osmanthus, an apricot-y scent. The Lily of the Valley is only a whisper brightening the scent and the whole thing along on frankincense.

I have sometimes thought that there must be some unlisted apricot oil in this as it smells so strongly of apricot.

Before I bought the bottle I had a decant and at one point I misplaced the decant. For a month I kept coming across traces of the apricot/osmanthus scent on the air but couldn't find the darn imp. It finally turned up among some papers but that shows how tenacious this scent is.

Oh! @Lucycat and @Myrrha Thank you very much for your comments. I will probably blind order both of those scents ...and Fairy Bites @Stellamaris. (Will go for Sanctus first because hey, frankincense is great even without osmanthus!)

I was concerned the Belle Vinu might be too peachy and the Sanctus too much into the lily of the valley, but from your descriptions, it doesn't sound like either is the case. Of course, I read the reviews in the forum, but sometimes they give me such conflicting reports that it does my head in.

It would not surprise me if the lab puts in some apricot oil in as well, even if not mentioned. Osmanthus essential oil is quite pricey.

Lucycat, I grew up in Pennsylvania, too and went to graduate school in New England...and never met an osmanthus there, true! I hope you get to smell one. The flowers are modest, but my goodness, certainly a whiff of heaven!!!!!

Myrrha, you gave me a good chuckle about that rouge imp!!

have you seen that the Trading Post's Scattered Flowers Hair Gloss has osmanthus in it? This is one of the limited Lupers.

Edited by stellamaris

Oh, wow, yes indeed...and listed as the first ingredient! Great, just what I need, a Libra Attack! Hmmmm...interesting how it is 28$ to Snake Oil's 45$...so if finances have anything to do with it, that would tilt the scales. (But when has money deterred a true Libra!) Reviews (not many) are positive. Thanks, Stellamaris!

Always on the lookout for you now Minh Scent!

Also, one reviewed highlighted that particular ingredient so I figured it was someone who knew what it smelled like.

I have to say, I have many things from the trading post Lupers this year, and they are all really really really good. Just saying.

Stellamaris, I really wish I could send you an osmanthus bush. You would immediately write congress to have them planted in every lobby of every building in the northeast to keep people happy and high. Next time you are at a nursery, please go sniff one out.

Yesterday I had on my beloved Blacker Than Raven Wings at Midnight which boast of osmanthus. Could not detect it at all, but am sure it added to the perfection of that scent.

Yes, I did go to the reviews (there were only two when I looked) and saw that comment! Thank you!!!!!

Hi, I had thought Belle Vinu would be too peachy, too, because I do not like smelling like fruits, but it does not! It is really great. Flora is too, though I don't know whether that's the osmanthus or not.

(I did search the topics and could not find this one specific note. Sorry if this is redundant.)

The osmanthus are blooming , reminding me I long to smell like them! Here is a list of BPAL with osmanthus notes. Has anyone tried any of these, where the osmanthus is evident? I am guessing it might be over-powered by other components.

Fairy Bites (osmanthus first note mentioned)

Belle Venu

Brusque Violet

Cordelia

Flora

Mokey

Kali (presently OoS)

Ouiji

Sanctus

The Ghost

Luper 2015 Night Pavillion

Blacker than Raven Wings has it, but very light (beautiful oil!) (This s the only one I tried)

Thank you!

Minh scent, not sure if its osmanthus but you should try Cordelia. Its gorgeous! I love my sleeper favorites of the GC.

Thanks for your thumbs up RE Cordelia, Sprout! She is on my want list. I agree with you so much that the GC is full of favorites-both sleepers and leapers!

I am happy to report that Sanctus has prominent osmanthus note! I see the love for it and my skin loves it. I don't think it can be anything else, lily and frankincense don't smell this way. I must find more osmanthus!!!

I tried Fairy Bites and the osmanthus is quite prominent. Or, my skin amps it. Not as foody as I expected.

Thanks, Sprout. You know, I think you skin might very well amp the osmanthus (lucky you!)because so many of the reviews focus on the mint element. Did you think it might be foody because of the raspberry?

What did you like better, Fairy Bites or Sanctus?

My sweet olive trees are blooming and omg, everytime the wind blows or I walk past them the scent is totally intoxicating. So sweet and unique :wub3:

I think I must try Sanctus and Belle Vinu. I'm quite surprised she didn't use more osmanthus (sweet olive) in any of her New Orleans themed blends, besides Halloween: New Orleans. It's so prevalent down here! I tried Halloween: Nola, but something goes very strange on me and I really dislike it. I get the sweet olive but whatever that strange note is totally ruins it for me. But many people seem to love that blend so wanted to throw that one out there. Now finding it is another story!

Fairy bites has more osmanthus I think but it has to complete with other foodie notes.

Fairy bites has more osmanthus I think but it has to complete with other foodie notes.

I did try fairy bites and my skin just turned into honey. I always amp honey though!

Ah, Ziggystardust, so your trees are blooming there now...ours are earlier here...didn't know that was one of your city's smells.

I do like Belle Vinu. It does have peach in it, so there is a bit of competition.

Anne, I was eyeing that atmosphere spray, but again, the peach. I have nothing against peach and it seems companies frequently use it or apricot to enhance the fruitiness of the osmanthus. However, I am always on the lookout for it being showcased in a blend.