Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
annemathematics

Venerable Priestess of the Wood

An incense of myrtle leaf, sweet bay, white myrrh, stacte, and the golden frankincense.

first applied there is a bright, slightly camphoraceous herbal note, sharp but not unpleasant. as this scent dries down, the myrrh and frank come forward and do "that bpal thing." this is a lovely incense blend. actually very soft and light when it's dried down. I'm hoping a few weeks of aging will improve it's wear length, which currently is under a few hours.

This is a really lovely herbal incense blend with a higher pitch. It feels like air and wood, dry grasses and herbs, natural potions and ritualistic incense.

From the start I thought the blend reminded me of another, but couldn't figure it out. Then it occured to me that it smelled very similar to Gaueko. Again later, I realized that the note I recognized is nicotiana. I don't know if the notes listed simply combine to something that is similar to nicotiana/tobacco flower, or if it is a hidden note, but it's the main player for me. The frankincense is comparatively silent, and I can't make out any of the other listed notes, neither.

This is a soft, incensey-herbal base with a nicotiana heart on my skin. I'm contemplating a bottle purchase, because I love how magical and forest-y it smells.

Edited by blu°

I get bay leaf, incense, and frankincense. This one is a more masculine, slightly herby, resin. Low throw and average wear length.

Bay leaf, incense and resin

In the imp: Ugh, sharp, sour herbs and woods

Wet on skin: Still sharp and sour. I really need to figure out what's in the blends that do this on me. Frankincense does it, but normally with black pepper for me.

Dried down: Still the same. I'm glad I didn't put much on.

Throw: Not getting any, but I'm fine with that.

Verdict: * So, this one didn't work on me.

In the decant: I get the myrtle lrsf, frank, myrrh, and the bay

Wet: The bay really comes forward.

The dry-down: The myrrh and frank swoop back in, but the bay continues its domination. I suspect that the myrtle leaf is making the scent somewhat powdery.

Edited by thekittenkat

In the imp: Woodsy, but a sweet, slightly soft woodsiness. My nose is still relatively untrained, but I think I can pick out the myrrh and bay.

Wet: Something spicy-woodsy and powerful. A slightly medicinal, camphor-like smell emerges fairly quickly and lends a sort of dustiness to the overall scent - like a wooden chest or an old building (perhaps a church?) that's been shut up for years and has just been re-opened.

Dry: More directly incense-y. Specifically, in the last few hours, pretty much every incense blend I've tried goes sour on my skin. Not an entirely unpleasant sourness (this in particular has a sweet, creamy edge that I rather like), but sour nonetheless.

At first all I get is soft, delicate herbs and woods. There's an airy quality about the blend that feels gentle but solemn.

As it dries the frankincense and myrrh become more apparent and I start getting wafts of sweet but gritty (in a grounding way) incense.

The myrtle does smell a bit sharp and camphoraceous, but at least on me the resins end up predominant.

I think I actually enjoyed the lighter stage more. As much as I love incense, with the myrtle it's a bit too greenly bitter overall for me.

Frankincense and myrrh, kind of reminds me of Pentitence but not as sweet, more herbal thanks to the bay leaf.

It's interesting, but my preference is for sweet incense blends. It doesn't have much throw on me, either.

Sharp, herbal and resinous at first. Dries quickly to a strong soap scent. This is probably the soapiest bpal I've ever smelled. A definite 'no'.

On first application, the herbs come to the fore front, but BPAL's frankincense always turns to powder on me, amps, and takes over. This is a disappointment.

However, the myrtle and bay are still holding their own, but it's basically an herbal body powder scent - which I would LOVE in a body powder.

Will have to try this in a scent locket.

Wet on the skin this is a green and resinous scent with a feeling of great wisdom and age. It's quite calming - the sort of scent that conjures up ancient libraries full of arcane scrolls and magical paraphernalia.

Later stages and dry down bring out the sweeter frankincense notes, leaving a soft and pensive air behind them.

This is quite unlike anything I would normally wear - I steer clear of green notes ads they often turn very sharp and sour on my skin, but it's nonetheless a keeper.