Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RocketMelee

Call it a broken heart, a break-up, heartache...

Well, as a newly re-initiated member of the Lovelorn and Heartbroken, I have to say that Shattered is a great scent for when you want to sit and wallow in your tears.

And I got it as a freebie imp.... thank you to the powers that be...

~Diamond~

:huge hugs to everybody, including me, who is hurting: We are the most fabulous-smelling women ever to have life deal roughly with our hearts. May our individual and collective *fabulosity* carry us through to a peaceful and happy shore. :P

And let me just say that wearing Sugar Cookie and then eating raw cookie dough is like having Grandma hug you and tell you it's all ok.

I've recently gone through what amounts to a bad break up, and I can see it affecting everything else in my life -- school, work, energy, etc.

I was looking at the Lab description of Dove's Heart, and it looks like a good jumpstart to the healing process. Have y'all tried it? Do you have other scent recommendations for this issue?

Two links to get you started:

Twilight Alchemy Lab recommendation thread here.

Dove's Heart review thread here -- at least some of the reviews talk about using the oil for its intended purpose, rather than just the scent.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time

Two links to get you started:

Twilight Alchemy Lab recommendation thread here.

Dove's Heart review thread here -- at least some of the reviews talk about using the oil for its intended purpose, rather than just the scent.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time

Thanks so much for the recs and the sympathy! This too shall pass...

I went through a break up a couple of years ago and I wore Dove's Heart almost continuously for the first week and on occasion for about a month. I found I craved the scent of it even though it wouldn't be a typical choice for me.

I also love The Penitent Magdalen from the Salon for general emotional healing. I find it uplifting and supportive, the quintessence of light in darkness. Try Tarot:Temperance to help you maintain focus on other areas of your life. It's great for balance and Tarot:Star for release and freedom from the pain you've experienced.

:P

:P I'm sorry.

I can't speak to Dove's Heart, but I'd recommend Water of Notre Dame (another Voodoo Blend) -- Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits. I find it soothing and centering. It's rosy, so if that's not your thing, you might not find it so reassuring.

I also think Dragon's Milk might be helpful. It's another blend I find very soothing. It's sweet and warm and sort of envelops you, like a hug.

My sympathies to you for your heartache. :P

I have a whole box full of TALs and Voodoo blends for depression and heartache that unfortunately I use quite frequently. I wholly recommend Dove's Heart, TAL Anthelion, and Water of Notre Dame. They work miracles. I also recommend Has No Hanna, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, and TAL Joy - they all help me to smile again.

Hungry Ghost Moon always makes me smile. It's the most quietly, sweetly, indomitably cheerful scent. I recommend it too. Sometimes just a genuine smile sets me on the road back out of the dark lake.

Best of luck to you.

If you're looking for a GC scent you may want to try Sudha Segara. It's a warm, comforting scent, and I've been wearing it for the past few days to help me with stress.

Good luck.

When my mind is racing and I can't calm it down; when I can't seem to forget my losses and hearbreaks, I find comfort with Panacea: Quietude and TAL: Peace. Usually they help me drift off to a calm, restful sleep. I've also found The Coiled Serpent helpful in making me feel "grounded." Tushnamatay is very relaxing and meditative.

I do agree with the recs for Dove's Heart and Water of Notre Dame as well. Fortunately those are available as imps, so you can see how well they work for you before investing in a bottle.

I had high hopes for Dove's Heart, but found the sharp jasmineyness of it distractingly unpleasant. The TAL oils Lionheart & Anthelion gave me an occasional boost.

As for BPAL oils, I also found Dragon's Milk soothing. I don't know how many recent LEs you have, but some of the scents I turned to most often were White Moon (a white floral I wouldn't usually like, but which seemed to fit my mournful mood), Vipralabda (creamy herbs on me, which were very soothing), and Dreamland (musky cool florals - perfect for somber rainy days, although older & probably harder to find).

Some of the other recs in here sound good too - I'll have to seek them out. I was very interested when I saw your post, because this subject has been a lot on my mind lately too. I hope you find something that helps you feel better soon! :P

Edited by spanishviolet

Some of the other recs in here sound good too - I'll have to seek them out. I was very interested when I saw your post, because this subject has been a lot on my mind lately too. I hope you find something that helps you feel better soon! :P

Hmm, I have a hard time wearing the Lab's jasmine, so it's good to know that it's in Dove's Heart. Thanks.

And I hope you feel better soon, too! :D

If you are looking to boost your mood, try Croquet. It's bright and happy smelling.

If you want to feel confident and sexy, try Aged Snake Oil. Or Boomslang. They always make me feel tall and mysterious. (I'm 5'1" and not mysterious.)

This might be a strange rec, but I found the Music of Erich Zahn to be immensely comforting. Once when I was upset and my heart was hurting, I put it on for the first time and I felt just like I was being hugged - it was that effective. It's now my go-to scent when I'm feeling bad.

I then read the reviews and was very surprised to hear it was ghoulish and tortured. :P

This is a bit late, but I’m really sorry you’re hurting. ):

I keep finding myself resorting to Eat Me and Vice… though TKO is nice too (and I normally detest lavender).

What types of scents do you find soothing?

I'd try Dove's Heart or Water of Notre Dame.

I'm partial to Anthelion (TAL) but that's just because it's really uplifting.

If you have trouble sleeping, I recommend Oneroi. It's really good for that.

I'm nursing a bit of the same thing and read a few threads and actually compiled a list of the recommendations that people gave (so please note, I take no credit for this, it's all thanks to the other wonderful members here!):

Alice

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bliss

Bloodlust

Bordello

Cairo

Dana O'Shee

Dove's Heart

Dragon's Milk

Gingerbread Poppet

Jack

Lampades

Lobban

Melpomene

Serpent's Kiss

Shattered

Snake Oil

Sudha Segara

the Kindly Ones - from Excolo

Van Van

Velvet

Vice

Water of Notre Dame

Wings of Azrael

Wolf's Heart

Today, I wore Wolf's Heart as I had to see the person who is responsible for said broken heart and I tell you what, I am not the usual blubbering mess I tend to be after seeing him - I'm perfectly fine and strong (you should have seen me the last time, 'twas truly pathetic). My conclusion is Wolf's Heart really helped me out today. Big time.

I'm sorry for your heart and really hope some of these help. I fully intend upon trying them myself (haven't done the lot just yet!). Sorry for the long post!

Oh, you MUST add Snow-White to that list.

I usually wear Temple of Dreams to bed for calm and comfort, but when I feel really torn and hurting, Snow-White is the best. It just covers everything like a soft snowy blanket and helps me to stop crying.

Maybe it's the way it feels so innocent, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for compiling that list. That'll be a real help. :P

Edited by blu°

This is a weird one, but Safari -- it's great when I'm really, really upset and need to calm the hell down. So very deeply soothing.

Also Antique Lace, for me, but that's more because I associate it with one really great weekend mid-my last breakup when I went away with my family and puttered around in little Northeastern towns and read and watched old movies in front of the fire, and didn't think of him at all. Every time I wear it it takes me back to that weekend, and that's very safe and cozy-feeling. So if you have a similar scent with strong ties to a very happy time (NOT one with your ex-partner), then that's probably a really good choice.

I also like Dove's Heart. I've used it, it works.

I think the title says it all. I'm broken-hearted, wounded, drained. Ready to start healing. Suggest a scent for me.

:P

Sorry to be such a downer...but I know there is something like this.

If you're interested in TALs, I also find White Light to be effective in these sorts of situations.

I also find most vetiver-based scents to be comforting (Sloth, Incantation. etc), but that may be an individual thing- I know a lot of people don't care for vetiver.

I've basically had my heart torn up by the same person for a year now taht I'm still "friends" with, and I still can't just forget things so I know how you feel, unfortunately perfume can only do so much for me, however I did test shattered a long time ago and I'm thinking it might be a good one to get a bottle of, as well as black cat which I've been putting off getting for way too long... hmm sorry for the run on! I am thinking that I might start wearing Alice again more as it was my first bottle of bpal that I had before going through any of this crap or knowing any of the people involved and it's a lovely comforting blend, a bit childish maybe, but I think childish can be good in these cases... I've never tried doves heart actually for intent, tested it once and though it was too soapy for perfume but I might still have an imp in my swap pile I could try hmmm... thanks guys

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox