Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

Blends which contain oils which improve focus & concentration are excellent for job interviews (& for studying, too).

Essential oils which are reputed to do this are: peppermint, lemon, cypress, basil, pine, rosemary, pink grapefruit & veitver. I've made a blend with peppermint (which is also great for headaches), lemon & a tiny bit of cypress. It's very fresh smelling.

Of course, a light hand with any fragrance is always best for an interview.

I searched on the list of oils above & came up with 49 BPAL blends.

Try it & see if you see any that you like.

Good Luck everybody!

Speaking of improving concentration for studying: I have used Niaouli oil for a few years for that purpose. It's eucalyptus-y and it's great for clearing the head, both literally and figuratively. I had a psychologist who used to use that in our sessions and that's where I picked up the habit.

I'd also remind you to put these on when you leave the house, and don't touch up more than thirty minutes before an interview - we forget the strength of these oils sometimes, and touch-ups have been known to bowl my office staff over if I'm not really careful. I wouldn't want to be in a smaller office with a closed door if I'd just re-applied, however carefully - and if I were nervous, heaven only knows if I could keep from spilling an Imp or bottle all over myself. :D

All that aside, good luck with your interviews! Remember, your scents are just an extension of you ... you're what counts. :P

oh I wish more people were aware and as polite as you are regarding fragrance. I worked in a very tiny office (it was meant to hold one person, it held FOUR!) and one woman wore Elizabeth ARdens Red Door when she got it for Christmas. it's strong to begin with, and she BATHED in it every day, reapplied it three and four times a day. It made me horribly ill. I very politely told her it was great her husband had gotten her such a nice perfume for the holiday, but asked that she please just put it on in the morning, because it was really bothering my allergies (as in, my eyes were swelling shut, I was sneezing explosively and having to run for the bathroom in the afternoons because by that point the post nasal drip was making me throw up.) She got snotty and started to wear even MORE of it. I tried speaking to the office manager about the problem, she said she wouldn't do anything about it....I finally decided to stop running to the bathroom to throw up and started doing it in the office, once on HER desk. THAT finally got the point across but I wound up losing my job over it. (as if I really wanted to continue working with those kind of people anyway. I enjoyed a summer of collecting unemployment, so there.)

Anyway, main point of that all is, thank you thank you thank you for being considerate regarding your perfume!!!

I'd recommend Kumiho. I've been wearing it to work these past two days and it's perfect - crisp and clean without smelling soapy. It seems very high end, somehow, which is an added plus.

I'm attending Mr Oro's interview at the US embassey in London on Tuesday, and am thinking of either Silentium Amoris or Antique Lace for me. What do you think? (Mr Oro shall be wearing Villain)

Oro

*hijack*

I've got my first job interview tomorrow. It's for a part time position taking care of tropical plants in commercial buildings. Heh. Anyway...any recommendations for an oil? I'm in possession of: Fae, Rose Red, Titania, Glitter (I'd rather not use Glitter, as I have very little of it left and it is my favourite.), Wanda, Brisingamen, and Ophelia. I think Wanda is right out (can we say sex and booze?), but what do you guys think?

I had a job interview yesterday and wore Sudha Segara, which is a very clean, fresh gingery citrus on me...I don't know if it was that or my sparkling personality, but I got the job :P

I had a job interview yesterday and wore Sudha Segara, which is a very clean, fresh gingery citrus on me...I don't know if it was that or my sparkling personality, but I got the job :P

Ooooh- I have to look for a part-time job starting next week, and I just got an imp of that in with my last order. Good to know.

Ok, this technically isn't a job interview but how I am percieved depends on whether I get a job or not so I am putting this here, if I should move it please let me know.

I am attending the Game Developers Conference next week. It is an all week confernce that is as much for networking with industry professionals as it is for the new technology. The goal that everyone has been telling me is to stand out as much as possible, be unique and above all make sure they remember you. Since I am going to be in the 10% female population I am probably going to stand out. I am wondering for any suggestions on perfume (I am going for an entire week so as many recommendations as possible are welcome), this will include seminars, bars and parties. I am already wearing dresses and skirts which are about girly as I can get, so I would perfer gender neutral or masculine scents, since those work best with me.

Any help would be appriciated, thanks.

I'm going to start battling through the interview process soon as well. I'm going to be interviewing for a teaching position wherever I can find one (high school English).

Basically, it all boils down to the fact that I'm going to be one of -those- young teachers. I'm one of those student teachers who gets mistaken for a student...repeatedly. Right now, all I have is Siren and a bit of Tushanmatay (sp). Siren is definitely out--sultry is not what I'm looking for. :P Tushanmatay turns to bubblegum on me.

I'm going to be ordering a set of imps in the near future, so any advice would be lovely. :D

I wore a single drop of Alice on my wrists to a stressful job interview yesterday; not only did the interviewer say (as I left) that something smelled "so lovely", I walked out with a solid offer! I got the job on the spot (pending drug and FBI screenings, of course)! :P In the interest of full disclosure; those with my backround are rather in demand in this area. I probably would have gotten the offer had I arrived drenched in Snake Oil, and dressed like Britney Spears on a Cheeto binge, but still.

Alice is just so light and perfect, applied lightly, it's as if you'd used fabulous body care products, instead of perfume. I'd applied so little in fact, that I was surprised the lady noticed it. I think those who have warned us to be cautious with any scent in these situations are right.

I may have a job interview at my University this week. It will be damn hot around here, so I was thinking either Ultraviolet or the Apothecary. Both are faders on me, but I want something light and cool.

-Karen

Just stopping in to check up on the thread.

Ren, Rose Red just POPPED out at me, for what it's worth. Tatiania would be my 2nd choice.

Meganaut: either one of those would be beautiful.

I got a job today and I am almost certain Nefertiti did its part. If not directly, it made me feel faboulous and I guess that feeling radiates from inside :P

It would seem that the most important thing, as the previous poster suggested, is to wear something that smells like the person you want to be for the interview -- that is, the person they'd want to hire. Since I got going on this crazy perfume thing, I've been increasingly aware of how much my scent influences my acting ability.

It would seem that the most important thing, as the previous poster suggested, is to wear something that smells like the person you want to be for the interview -- that is, the person they'd want to hire. Since I got going on this crazy perfume thing, I've been increasingly aware of how much my scent influences my acting ability.

WORD.

Zephyr does this for me, and whenever I get dressed up in a crisp white shirt and slacks, I find myself reaching for it, as it's a calm, controlled, crisp fragrance that smells a bit like clean skin.

The "clean skin" smell is what I'd go for, frankly.

I went with Ultraviolet, since it doesn't have much throw. I haven't heard anything yet, though. This was for a job at the University, so they may have had tons of people applying.

-Karen

assuming all goes well, i'll be interviewing for teaching positions very soon. depending on how i feel, i think i'll either be wearing dragon moon (elegant, regal) or embalming fluid (i have it coming from a swap, but the description sounds really classy and crisp). if i'm a nervous wreck, though, it may have to be TAL lionheart.

One of the newer Salon scents is pretty work friendly: Satan with Sin and Death Interviewing. It is fairly subtle tea, clean, with unusual components that connote sophistication and prosperity. If only it would ward off the job-from-hell!!

Edited by themerrybaker

I decided to unpin this topic because the pinned area seems a bit cluttered, and this seems to be a topic that should be quite easy to find with the search engine - all that's necessary is the word "interview" on the Recommendations subforum.

I wore Aizen-Myoo for job interviews earlier this summer. It's light enough for the heat of July, and it's crisp and professional. I tried not to put enough on to be noticeable for anyone other than me. It really helped me get in the right mood :-)

On the other hand, now that scent reminds me of stressful interviews, so I can't wear it anymore! :P

I had all my job interviews when I only had [snake Oil, Persephone, Moon Rose, Queen Mab, Venice, Delphi, Psyche] to work with. I chose to wear Queen Mab to all of them.

I'm not going to say that it Queen Mab necessarily helped me, but it definitely didn't hurt me - I essentially "got" everything I interviewed for, including Teach for America and Google! Now I just have to decide what to do next year...

On a side note, now that my collection has blossomed a little bit, I think I would also recommend Nefertiti and Moon Rose. I also wore The Red Queen to an event in an old library where I needed to make a show of power, and I think that worked really well in the setting and role, but I don't know how many interviews it would be appropriate for - I think light florals are best.

Dragon Moon is great for job interviews. I like Cathedral, too, but I always like Cathedral.