Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Visions of Autumn II

Gurjum balsam, rose geranium, opoponax, violet leaf, brown leather accord, and patchouli.

This is a gorgeous scent that morphs into so many beautiful qualities. The rose and opoponax are at the forefront with the violet leaf giving it a bit of a bite. The brown leather is barely there and sits in the background giving it a mellow backdrop with the pathchouli. For a moment the rose comes forward upon drydown, but it is slowly occluded by something almost a little spicy.

Wet, rose geranium.

Rose geranium walks into a bar with balsam, opoponax, violet leaf, leather and patchouli. Being the spoiled, snotty little bitch that she is, she insists on being first, slapping all the other scents into submission, demanding all get out of her way. She dominates the others, drowning out their desires to become a harmonious reminder of autumn. No, she is selfish and obnoxious, taking the credit for everything they could have become.

Rose geranium, why do you thwart me so?

Oh dear, another lovely rosy incense from the Lab, just when I was starting to become picky. :)

This is all rose geranium (which smells like red roses and dry wood) at first, but then that rosy scent settles down to blend effortlessly with the patchouli, and, especially, the warm brown leather. Opopanax gives it an extra sweet-resinous drydown. There is only a slight hint of the violet leaf, which is fine by me.

I usually find geranium to be quite bitter, and I actively enjoy rose when it's done properly, so this is kind of a dream blend for me. It is like a drier, rosier and - as one would expect - more autumnal Leather Phoenix (which is my all-time favorite, by the way). It is rich and earthy and majestic at the same time. If you do not like rose, you probably will not like this blend, but if you do at all, it's a nice anchored, incensy rose, and well worth trying. I went for a full bottle and cannot wait for it to arrive.

This is easily my favorite out of this year's new Hallowe'en blends.

Edited by LadyMedb

Allllll the geranium! To me this was a dead ringer for those Mrs. Meyer's geranium scented cleaning products, which brought back some memories since I have an ex who used them obsessively. So the real test for me will be whether I can get past the scent memories! That aside, this is very pleasant. I'm getting a bit of leather in the background but this is mostly rose geranium, so if that's your jam, pick this baby up!

Wet, rose geranium.

Rose geranium walks into a bar with balsam, opoponax, violet leaf, leather and patchouli. Being the spoiled, snotty little bitch that she is, she insists on being first, slapping all the other scents into submission, demanding all get out of her way. She dominates the others, drowning out their desires to become a harmonious reminder of autumn. No, she is selfish and obnoxious, taking the credit for everything they could have become.

Rose geranium, why do you thwart me so?

This. The damn harlot over took the gorgeous brown leather and violet leaf. Bitch. Leave the others alone to blend with you...stop screeching at me. Glad I found this one a new home.

Rose geranium is definitely prominent in Visions of Autumn II, but I really enjoy it—it smells like dry rose and a light touch of something green and nearly bitter, like latex sap, to my nose. The other notes are supporting players, but they add a lot in subtle ways. The leather and balsam give it a woodsy base, and the patchouli is so light that I can barely smell it at all but seems to fill in any gaps for a smoother drydown. The violet leaf comes and goes like a shard of something sweet and green and almost camphorous.

Overall, this wears like one of those days in autumn where flowers are still blooming, but not for long.

Rose Geranium in the bottle.

Wet on the skin, I get a fist fight between between the patchouli and rose geranium.

Violets, leather and patchouli with dried roses in good balance on me after an hour, but my skin handles rose geranium well. A very clear, good day scent without smelling too frickin' girly. Minimal throw, which means halfway through the day I'm huffing my wrist trying to figure out if its worn off. Keeping as office wear.

Getting the rose geranium right off. There is a fresh, herbal quality to geranium, and I kind of like the added dimension of the rose. After a bit, kind of sour, but fresh, if that makes sense. Not getting patchouli or anything else for that matter, but the geranium. It's a bit too sour for my liking.

Preamble: I'm not good at patchouli and usually avoid it.

Wand: So, the autumn is here on the wand, heavily balsamic and with rose geraniums seeming to play late-blooming red flowers or, more conceptually, even red autumn leaves. But on the wand, this autumn thing wafts over a bed of dried and cracked patchouli. Just a patch of patch, really. Sniffing again: the leather is very brown-toned, and the opoponax and (I think?) violet leaf seem mingled behind that to make together a deep brownish-green base tone.

Wet: Once this is on my skin, I get mostly a balsamic rose geranium, with whiffs of an earthy violet.

Dry: I don't smell much leather now, but the blend has become quite -- well -- blendy, and it may have kind of sunken into other notes. The balsamic geranium continues, but I think the lovely violet leaf has stepped forward? I've never smelled that component alone, but this sounds like descriptions I saw when looking at differences between the flower and the leaf. But I also keep getting a sense of the flower, mixed with the geranium. I haven't really smelled the patchouli distinctly since this hit my skin.

I kinda like this, and will come back to my vial in fall, but I don't know that I'd go for a bottle if one were to come available.

I love rose geranium, so I enjoy this blend. It's like a spicy, green, herbal scent with rose tones. I can't pick out most of the other notes, except for a dark, resinous, syrupy sweetness added by the opoponax and a soft, dry earth from the patchouli. Rose geranium on an earthy, resinous base.

Visions II is definitely dominated by the rose geranium.  The balsam is apparent in the decant but largely absent on my skin; I get less leather, patch and opoponax than I wanted and far more violet leaf, violet being a nemesis of mine.  I do like geranium but I was hoping for more of the supporting players.