Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Salomé

A scent that is both coquettish and sinister. Exotic and lush, brimming with grace and viciousness: almond with star jasmine, oakmoss, red sandalwood and Egyptian musk.

In the vial, this smells rather strongly of almonds and little else to my nose. On my skin, this becomes less almondy and slightly sweeter, and the base of the moss, sandalwood and musk starts to become apparent, though the jasmine never makes it’s appearance on me except perhaps to sweeten up the fragrance somewhat. After a couple of hours, Salome has settled down to a faint version of what it used to be – almost too soft to detect on my skin...

mmmm... :P

Sweet, almondy, slightly floral, slightly spicy. This smells great! It stays subtle and close to my skin, but if I sniff my wrists, it's wonderful! This is one of the few florals that actually smells floral and not soapy or powdery on me. Yay!

I'll definitely hang onto my imp, and may get a bottle if it keeps growing on me.

In the Imp: Very floral, the jasmine reigns supreme from the imp.

Wet: Jazztastic jasmine. Nothing more.

Dry: The oakmoss and sandalwood come out to run competition with the jasmine. finally.

Throw: Jasmine always has a certain amount of throw, no matter what. This is no different. But after twenty minutes the jasmine wears off and it's not so strong.

Overall: After the inital burst of jasmine wears off this blend is actually quite lovely. The oakmoss, sandalwood and musk all blend to make a nice yummy basenote layout, that occasionally peaks into white flowery scents as the jasmine reasserts itself through nearly the entire weartime. It doesn't stay strong for very long though.

Rating: +

The almond in this gives it a very boozy almost anise note to this blend. I'm not a fan of anise so this isn't the greatest thing in the world. The sandalwood dominates as it usually does for me and overpowers everything else. When I first put it on, the Egyptian musk was very lovely but now I can't even catch a whiff of it. :P

Salome-

In Bottle: Huh. Kind of a...weird spiciness.

Wet: I don't know what that odd spice note is, but it's making me wrinkle my nose. I wish I got more almond from this; I love almond.

Dry: This sort of...fizzled out on me. No real charm, just kept that nose-wrinkling spice smell until it went away, fairly soon.

Overall: Not for me.

The almond in this stays is very dominant, and stays right on top of the musk.

I recommend layering Salome with anything else with jasmine and sandalwood, because sadly, it fades very fast on it's own.

In the imp, Salome is jasmine, but with something else cutting its power, and I can't quite figure out what. The color of the blend is rather dark -- not as dark as Snake Oil or Smut, but still, a rather dark, resinous looking blend. Once it hits my skin, it's mainly jasmine with almond. Almond and jasmine are often monsters on my skin, and almond really likes to take over, but bam! Jasmine pins almond to the mat! After a few minutes, a dark, resiny background begins to form, probably a result of the sandalwood and musk, and it begins to smell very much like a jasmine incense. The oakmoss is alos really there, and while I normally don't care for oakmoss in a scent, here it really works to add some depth and a bit of a darkly green-outdoors scent to the fragrance. This will probably sound weird, but on me, Salome smells like Snake Oil if the vanilla in Snake Oil was removed and replaced by jasmine. I did not expect to like it, but it's really very exotic, very nice -- I am a fan of both Siren and Snake Oil, and this blend has elements of both. Amazingly, it's going on the "buy a bottle" list.

I smell almond in the bottle - overpoweringly so. On my skin, a whiff of almond, then - pickles and bandages. I'm serious - I know some of it is the star jasmine, but what else is causing this scent? I smell no musk. This is the first scent from BPAL I've really disliked. Off to trade!

Just off the wand, this is a very sharp smell with no beauty at all. Jasmine or not, this doesn’t smell particularly floral; the oakmoss and the sandalwood are dominating, and they aren’t getting along well while they do it.

It is exotic... I’ll agree with that... but it’s not pleasant. The jasmine is coming out, but it’s picking a fight with the oakmoss and sandalwood. The jasmine is going to win. I won’t promise it would on anyone else’s skin, but this is my skin, and the jasmine usually does.

When the jasmine settles out, I’m surprised to discover that my opinion has changed. Before, I actively disliked this. Now... suddenly, instead of being a squabble of notes, Salome metamorphoses into a balanced, predatory, highly sexual scent. I think it’s because the musk came out as well -- it gives body to the blend as a whole instead of leaving it as a mixture of individual notes. I won’t quite say that I like it, but I’m definitely drawn to it... it’s got that kind of magnetic pull about it. Interesting.

This has a strong, confident, and pervasive throw. It’s not a subtle scent in the slightest. (It’s not unisex in the slightest, either. Jasmine is not a masculine scent, even if it’s jasmine with slitted eyes, carved sandalwood claws, and a truly evil grin.)

Even after the musk comes out, there’s still something I don’t quite like about Salome, but I can’t figure out what it is. The closest I can come is that Salome has more of an edge than I usually want... which is a synesthesic description instead of a useful one, but that’s what’s wrong -- it’s edgy, and it really isn’t pretty. But there are times when edgy is good, and this is the best edgy scent I’ve found from the Lab so far.

in vial: there's something overpoweringly bitter in this. the almond?

wet on skin: whoa. I"m wondering if i didn't somehow get an imp of acetone. *wrinkles nose* This is vile so far.

ten minutes later: oh that's better. it's not QUITE as acetone-like now. Jasmine is coming out, and a bit of musk and sandalwood. Still a bit nail polish remover-y though.

An hour later, this is still too harsh for me to enjoy. Vicious is definitely the right word here. Off to the swaps.

This is a spicy sandalwood on first application, with a round almond note following almost immediately. Mmmm. There's a fresh floral note--the jasmine, I think--dancing behind it, as well. Wow! I expected the almond to turn on me, but this blend is staying wonderful.

After a while, the sandalwood and spice grow stronger, though I start to get a hint of musk behind it. I think the jasmine balances the blend, because otherwise it would be too spicy and dry. My eyes are actually watering a little, from the dryness. I should probably only dab this one.

at first i get a ton of almond when wet, then once it dries i am getting a woody scent with slight cedar or frankincense? i'm not sure. i guess the woody part is the red sandalwood. i can't really make out any notes in this at all, and it's pretty unremarkable on my skin anyway. off to the swaps pile it goes.

The first time I tried this was a long time ago, and I didn't know that I would eventually try to avoid almond, jasmine, and oakmoss. If I saw those notes in a blend today, I probably wouldn't be too impatient to try it. However... before I knew which notes I usually like and don't like, I tried this. Then I ordered a bottle.

It's only very slightly floral, and I can barely smell any almond. Oakmoss usually smells kind of dirty on me, but not in this. It smells dark and sultry, perfumey and languid. It's not an overpowering scent, it's rather soft. The red sandalwood and Egyptian musk is a great combination, and amazingly I like the oakmoss.

This was one of the first BPAL bottles I ordered from the Lab, and I still love this scent. (It kinda helps that my husband thinks it's incredibly sexy, too. :P )

More of a room fragrance for me, but one that really alters your mind. You want this scent lingering if you need your mind to be grounded. Base is largely sandalwood, with spikes of jasmine every so often. The other main dominant note is ylang ylang - this is the note that knocks me out and makes me all peaceful and calm. Not to be worn often but definitely powerful and ages very well, as I noticed when I got the chance to try 2 samples of differing ages (the older one being more mellow and showing gentler integration of all the notes, very fluid).

Department store perfume. I'm not really getting any of the almond or musk on this; if I am, they're very different then I'm expecting them to smell. I'm not getting jasmine either. To me, this just smells like a department store perfume. It's not bad enough to try to wash off, but it's definitely off to swaps.

In bottle: As everyone else says, pure almond.

Wet:Strong almond that fades quickly, with sandalwood quickly emerging, followed by the musk.

Dry: Strong sandalwood and musk, rounded out by the jasmine, oakmoss, and almond lurking in the background. Smoky, in a soft, powdery way.

Longevity: After about an hour, it softens to mostly sandalwood, with musk next, and the other notes barely hanging in the background. I can hardly tell there's any jasmine in this. I think in another several hours, it will remain noticable but soft, which isn't altogether a bad thing, because it seems to suit the character of this fragrance. (It's not as wicked or dangerous, for me, as the name might imply!)

EDIT: I applied it around dinner time and didn't wash it off before going to bed. In the morning, I could still smell it, although it was very faint and was down to about pure sandalwood. Throughout the evening it remained noticeable, although after a few hours almost nothing but sandalwood and musk were noticeable. Overall I'd say it has reasonable staying power, at least, on me.

Thoughts and impressions: I don't have a professional nose. While I am getting better at identifying scents in fragrances, I think it speaks to the skill behind this blend that I was able to pick up all of the notes without reading the description. I knew that it contained almond and jasmine, but that was it. I immediately identified the sandalwood and musk. I could smell something faintly earthy, in a dry, clean way, which must be the oak moss.

My skin chemistry generally brings any sandalwood and/or musk notes right to the front. Perhaps that's why I tend to avoid any fragrance with sandalwood or musk, unless it's listed at very bottom of the notes. I appreciate it as a balancing agent, but not as a top note. They're just not my cup of tea, usually.

However, it turns out Salome is a major exception. As usual, the sandalwood and musk come right to the front and stay there, but they're balanced by jasmine and almond lurking in the background. It's a sandalwood fragrance, but so much richer and prettier than most. To me, this is a very cleanly and elegantly sexy scent. It's smoky, but not spicy. Regal but grounded, and just a little exotic. It reminds me of an incense I used to burn, and it also reminds me of renaissance faires -- clean outdoors in autumn, with incense wafting out of vendors' tents. I don't think I'll buy a bottle, because it's not quite a me scent, however I definitely I think I can find enough occasions to wear this to finish the imp.

Overall, I'd say it's nothing exceptional, but it's very nice, and recommended, as long as you're not hoping the almond notes will remain on top.

Edited by naeelah

In the imp, Salome was all almond with a hint of fruity spice but about 10 minutes after I put her on, she became all jasmine. I love BPAL's jasmine and Salome was no exception but I was hoping that more of that initial spiciness would stand out. She didn't turn powdery or soapy on me and I enjoyed wearing her. The scent stayed on me for a good 6 hours and I only dabbed it on.

Salome was a freebie thrown in with my first batch of imps.

In the bottle, it smelled kind of like a kind of incense I had in my younger days. On applying, initially this was what stuck out the most. After a little while, the almond smell came out a bit more, giving a nice marzipan-incense smell. It stayed like that for pretty much the rest of the day-- lasted really nicely.

This is a really nice smell, but it reminds me more of my best friend than me, so I'm going to give it to her.

This is mainly almond and jasmine. As it dries, the jasmine becomes stronger and the sandalwood comes out. After it’s been on a while, this is almost all musk and sandalwood, and becomes quite sensual and rich smelling. This may be bottleworthy for me!

I received a frimp of Salomé with my last order, and it really surprised me. This isn't something I would have thought to pick out for myself.

I think I smell jasmine more than anything else in this. It's very spicy and green. There's something in the background, perhaps the oakmoss, that reminds me of dirt. My mother got a whiff and thought she could smell patchouli. But the jasmine rides to the top and stays strong until the scent fades altogether. This is very perfumey, as well, more so than the other oils I've tried. And as someone who loves almond scents, I never noticed any almond in Salomé.

I'm on the fence about this one, but right now I'm enjoying it.

In the imp: Um, accidentally spilled a bit on my shirt. :P Next step!

On my skin: It bites! Cacophonous at first, almost spicy? I'm not getting the almond at all, only the musk with something else that tickles my throat. On my shirt it stays this way (sharp musk), but on my skin it quickly blends together better and becomes more alluring. I can't tell what I'm smelling through the musk, but I'm pretty sure it's not the almond...It's strange. My first instinct is to say I don't like it, yet I keep going back for another sniff...and another...and another. Very compelling scent! I won't be getting a bottle anytime soon, but this is definitely an attention getter! Keeping the imp for sure.

salome is a scent that gives me hope for jasmine-based scents on my skin. and jasmine is pretty much all i can pick out of all the scents combined here, at least while it's going strong. when it dries up, there is something woody about it, and i think it might be the almond...maybe the sandalwood. i don't think it's musky at all. i was hoping for more oakmoss. i don't perceive the aggression and "commerciality" some others find. honestly, this isn't an entirely impressive scent. i'm still waiting for that magnificent jasmine scent...this one just doesn't "pop" as much as i'd hoped. i'm neutral about it.

Wet, Salomé was all about the amaretto -- very similar to Bastet in that way. After the initial application, the jasmine was the strongest, giving it that "department store perfume" feel that others have mentioned and that I just find really hard to like. However, once those stages were done, what remained was a boozy, low-throw skin musk that was quite nice. It didn't have the world's greatest staying power on me, however; I don't see myself seeking out another imp -- but something perverse in me wants to try layering with something even boozier (Grand Guignol?). Maybe I can get my skin drunk!

In the bottle and wet it smells very strongly of almonds. The star jasmine comes out as it dries. There's also a smokiness, which I think is the sandalwood. It perfectly captures the essence of Salome, but I just don't like it. Too much almond.