Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

The Lady of Shalott

First impression: very watery, aquatic light blue scent. 

And then I forgot I was wearing it, could not smell it on myself when I remembered I was...no staying power on me and did not make an impression. Smells nice in imp but not for me for wearing.

Gorgeous airy aquatic. It's clean in a non-soapy way, very light and bright. The gardenia is very soft, not very heady. It blends with the soft sweet water blossoms (hyacinth and sweet pea like) very well. Cool and ethereal. Something about this makes me think of a very early summer morning, when the air is still cool and there is a wash of dew over everything.

One of my favorite aquatics, which I tend to be picky about, and one of my favorite gardenia perfumes so far. It makes me feel like a water nymph. This really smells like a pond covered in water lilies, to my nose, and the ginger gives the water a bit of sparkle. The florals are a little sharp at first but gentle down very quickly. I have always loved the poem this scent is inspired by, and I think this lives up to its namesake.

In the imp: Ginger over white lily, the salty tang of river soil

Wet: Lily, with a splash of spice

Dry: Sweet, but thankfully not powdery, which lily of the valley/muguet tends to do on my skin. A hint of spice on the top notes. So light I forgot I was wearing it.

I had planned to retest this at some point but ended up using it to make an atmos instead, which I suspect was a far better choice than attempting to wear it. Ginger never seems to add much to blends for me, aquatics are very hit and miss on my skin, and with the muguet being the dominant note (insofar as I could call such a light scent 'dominant'), I just don't think this would ever have been a showstopper. If the gardenia had been a little stronger, maybe. It makes me think less of the Lady of Shalott and more of a very particular type of genteel lady, powdered and pale, in a long 20's style sleeveless dress and a set of pearls.

I had high hopes for this, but from application to drydown all I got was GARDENIA. No aquatics, no ginger, just GARDENIA blasting me in the face. 

Guess Sea of Glass remains my number 1 BPAL aquatic...