Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
venusinfurs

Oakmoss

I've been noticing that I really like a lot of "unrelated" scents lately. My newest favorites are Fae, Samhainophobia, and the grave pig. They really only have one note in common: oakmoss. I can't find much about which blends may have this note, as it seems to appear as more of a middle/background note than a top or base note. Anyone know of any other oakmoss blends out there?

I really love Greed and feel that the oakmoss is noticeable in it. :)

I also really like Ronin, I think that might be a somewhat hard to find LE though....

*EDIT* It seems like oakmoss is unexpectedly in some other scents that I really like, such as Crowley, Les Infortunes de la Vertue, The Last Unicorn (well, okay, I knew that had oakmoss, but the note doesn't seem prominent to me in the blend), and Salome. Lemme see if this link works....

Edited by neptuneanblues

Anything with fougere listed should have oakmoss in it. For example, a traditional lavender fougere is lavender, tonka, and oakmoss.

Aside from the scents already mentioned, the GC search results for oakmoss include Danse Macabre, Zombi, Cathode, Omen, Schrodinger's Cat, The Harlot's House, Horreur Sympathique, Nephilim, and How Doth the Little Crocodile. The GC results for fougere are Tavern of Hell, Villain, Old Scratch, Dorian, and The Scales of Deprivation.

Well, not sure how you feel about Irish Moss, but that is a note in the Economic Recovery imp that BPAL gave out for Black Friday sales.

Fearful Pleasure has a lot of oakmoss & I seem to remember getting some from Perversion, too.

You might also look for blends with chypre listed as a note. Chypre is a combination of oakmoss, labdanum, patchouli, and bergamot. (There is a lot of variety among chypres, but to my limited knowledge, most chypres will consist of an oakmoss base note and a citrus top note like neroli or bergamot.) It has a very woodsy feel to it and the oakmoss is very dominant. Nude Male, Arms Upstretched had a great red chypre note in it. (Full note list is "Dark musk, linen, and red chypre.") Frederic is also listed as a chypre.

For oakmoss, Crowley is a great one. The Caterpillar is very mossy as well, to my nose.

Edited by tailoredshirt

Crowley is great for all its notes. I love it so much!

Resurrecting this thread with some newer scents I've liked.

Ruined Roses is lovely: white rose marred by oakmoss, Spanish moss, slippery labdanum, and gurjum balsam. There's a bit of light musk in here, too & the roses are well-behaved.

Beautiful, difficult to obtain Eve from Only Lovers Left Alive:

Her scent is one that travels through the eons: the Irish moss, yarrow, and hawthorn of the Iron Age Britons, ancient Rome’s omphacium and honey, myrrh and calamus from Egypt, the frankincense and damask roses of the Florentine Renaissance, white sandalwood from the Far East, Moroccan saffron and rose water, and a swirl of incense from the souks.

I can't really tell the difference between Irish moss & oakmoss - this moss note is maybe a bit less tangy but it's hard to tell because there's so many other notes in this scent.

All Hallows Apple has a nice moss, too: fallen apples, grave moss, autumn leaves, and upturned earth. None of the notes are overpowering - it's not too leafy or heavy-handed in the dirt department.

Gingerbread Zombi: gingerbread with dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth. I'm not a big fan of regular Zombi but the gingerbread combines really well here with the dirt & roses.

Gingerbread Villain - it doesn't mention it in the notes but oakmoss is definitely part of the fougere: Gingerbread fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk. I like this one in the warmer months if I want to wear something with spice - the citrus & moss make it less heavy than many other spicy scents.

And of course we can't forget the Oakmoss Accord Single Note of September 2013!

Ruined Roses is how I discovered I like oakmoss. It's lovely.

Beauty, The Aggrieved has Bulgarian oakmoss and it works really well with the tobacco note.

Ruined Roses is a permanent favourite. I do wish I'd tried Eve now, I discounted it outright because sandalwood can make me feel really sick, but the other ingredients are perfect. Siiiigh, schoolboy error.

I only discovered how much I love oakmoss when I bought Lucille's Room atmo ~ Lilac water, fossilized black amber, lily of the valley, violet leaf, and oakmoss. While I also get the musky amber and subtle violet from it, the strongest and most lingering note I get is the oakmoss, and I. Frickin. Love. It. I was devastated to miss out on the super limited Crimson Peak atmofumes (the Posts CP atmos turned into perfume oils) a while back because having it in perfume form would have meant I could die happy.. I really hope the Oakmoss SN returns someday!

I only discovered how much I love oakmoss when I bought Lucille's Room atmo ~ Lilac water, fossilized black amber, lily of the valley, violet leaf, and oakmoss. While I also get the musky amber and subtle violet from it, the strongest and most lingering note I get is the oakmoss, and I. Frickin. Love. It. I was devastated to miss out on the super limited Crimson Peak atmofumes (the Posts CP atmos turned into perfume oils) a while back because having it in perfume form would have meant I could die happy.. I really hope the Oakmoss SN returns someday!

lucille's room is so brilliant! lilac and oakmoss: who knew how good that could be [beth, apparently...]

I second the cry for oakmoss SN to return. if not with the new SNs, then maybe there are old bottles that can go up on the lab's etsy page.

going to add a few favorite scents with oakmoss from the past few years:

Chionophobia Fear of Snow

A suffocating, oppressive white shroud: a fragrance heavy with ice, strangled by damp oakmoss, artemisia, and muguet.

Dark Rosaleen: Impassioned patriotism cloaked in the guise of a love song: golden frankincense gilding pine pitch, sun-touched amber, and oakmoss resinoid.

Lacus Mortis

The Lake of Death: narcotic indole, pale asphodel, and bone-white sandalwood plunged into in an impenetrable sea of black patchouli, labdanum, castoreum accord, and oakmoss.

Lily, The Prostitute

Heady blossoms of jasmine, white gardenia, and magnolia sharpened by neroli, given a voluptuous depth by red patchouli, oakmoss, and cedar.

Moons of Jupiter: Metis

Clary sage, oakmoss, white pine, and terebinth.

Mount Fuji Reflected in Lake Misaica

An oakmoss chypre with black cypress, wild mint, labdanum, pine needles, white sandalwood, and white cedar.

Palus Putridinis

The Marsh of Corruption: murky patchouli and dank oakmoss drowning in a mire of leathery bourbon vanilla, bitter clove, bog cypress, cumin, and vetiver.

Visions of Autumn VI

Oakmoss, lavender absolute, petitgrain, rockrose, white patchouli, and sage.

Edited by annemathematics