Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

Egyptian Amber

A perfect amber note. Smoky but smooth, sweet, warm, thick and full of mystery. Couldn't have captured the scent of burning this resin better. Absolutely gorgeous. Amber's one of my favorite notes too, so I'm going to have to buy a bottle of this for layering purposes. Can't wait to try the Black Amber single note as well.

I've tried both the Black Amber and the Egyptian Amber, and the Egytptian is by far my favorite. Sweet, mellow, and smooth, it's absolutely dead-on and beautiful.

Yes, this is smooth, sweet, mellow and gorgeous. This would be perfect for adding additional depth to some of the "thinner" scents. It's soft and strong at the same time.

First sniff: Oh, Egyptian Amber is really lovely. Smooth, flowing golden-bronze, with only a hint of spicy sharpness. I really really really hope it behaves on me.

Wearing: So far (thirty seconds), so good… same as in the bottle, with the smokiness kicked up just a wee bit. It’s very smoky by the time I’m going to bed several hours later - more like woodsmoke from an oven than anything else. I’m not entirely sure I like it, but that might just be my mood at the moment - I'll try it on once more before I decide. At least I know this sort of amber isn’t the thing that goes truly funky on my skin in some of the resiny blends.

First Sniff

Sweet gorgeousness.....

Drydown

Very much like Haunted, perhaps a little softer. This is beautiful.

After a While

No change at all. Just lovely. Mellow, warm and comforting.

Final Verdict

Gorgeous. Perhaps a little similar to Haunted for a big bottle but I'm certain I'll buy further imps for layering duty. :P

Oh Egyptian Amber, how much I love you! :P

Like everyone said, this is incredibly smooth and soft. However, Egyptian Amber has lots of depth, so much so that it is difficult to believe that it is a single note. It is so rich and textured that I feel like biting in it. It is that delicious!

This is not too smokey an amber, a very good thing in my book.

This single note is so beautiful that it is probably the one I will miss the most. Thankfully, Haunted has the same amber note, which means that I will still be able to get my amber fix regularly! :D

Mmmmmm... as others have said, this is smooth, mellow, gorgeous, thick, warm, golden...

I love wearing this amber - it is exotic and comforting. It is warming and long lasting. This is the amber that dominates Haunted, so if you are missing this, try out Haunted!

deep, warm, thick, and yes it smells exactly like the resin i use to make incense. i love this note.

oh dear. this smells like a spicy cough drop on me. i see that other reviews say this is an amber with spice, distintive amongst other ambers... i now fear that anything strong on the amber will smell like unspiced cough drop on me. :P

Egyptian Amber

In the imp, this smells gorgeous-not heavy, but definitely a lovely rich sweet amber, similar to an amber perfume I have, and similar to one of the notes in Brisingamen.

Wet on skin, it smells pretty much the same, a beautiful rich amber. It's soft, sweet and gentle, but mysterious, golden and slightly smoky.

Dry on skin-yup, this is the dry down of Brisingamen I loved-I'm sure this is also in Queen of Sheba. This is beautiful rich exotic amber. I love this and it has many many layering possibilities. It's not heavy or overpowering like the other amber perfume I have, this is a sensual close to the skin scent.

I love this-but I do wish it were a bit stronger, because it's so beautiful, and I love the way it 'glows' on my skin.

edit: this gets better and better. I am addicted to this beautiful mysterious smell, it's so seductive, rich and mystical. If it wasn't discon'd, I'd buy big bottles of this!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Another amazing single note for my body chemistry. I wasn't sure which kind of amber was the type that worked on me since certain oils are amazing (Bastet, O), and other oils turn into a funky sharp smell on me (Brisingamen, Haunted). Luckily, this was the right kind of amber (which means that I should probably avoid the Black Amber single note). It's got throw and strength and it's just the right amount of amber without being overwhelming to wear (as opposed to something like Coffee Bean, which was fascinating to sniff, but not something I'd want to wear).

Amber, honey, and vanilla are my holy trinity of BPAL oils, and I'm so very glad that I've had the chance to try all three in the single note form.

I have such a problem with amber. While it smells lovely, it usually disappears on contact with my skin, and it will take all the other notes with it. And then sometimes it goes all funky. I have found however, that black amber works beautifully on me. Testing this imp is an experiment to see how Egyptain amber works on my skin.

Wet - mmm, there is a pungent smokieness in the bottle. This smells different than I expect, spicier.

Dry - It smells almost musty on my skin. A few minutes later, I get dusty, musty and nearly gone. This is without a doubt one of the ambers I can't wear.

In bottle: Rich and sweet and golden. What I love most about amber is that it is such a second-skin fragrance, so subtle that you don't quite recognize it as a perfume when you smell it on someone.

On me: Vanishes except for a faintly honey-like sweetness that is rich and exotic.

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Decanted, won in Ebay auction.

Sniffing this Egyptian Amber, it smells very much like Musk to me. It is soft and sweet. We used to sell two different types of raw amber in the store I worked at. One was dark and one was light. This is definitely more of the light variety. It is sunny and warm, without being cloying. Very beautiful!

120227239.jpg

Egyptian Amber is one kind of Amber that BPAL utilizes in their blends. Among the different types of ambers used in BPAL blends are: Regular, Tunisian, Black, Grey, Sudanese, Egyptian.

BPAL blends that utilize "Egyptian Amber" single note as an ingredient; "Snake Charmer", "Bastet" and "Hollywood Babylon".

In the bottle

This is a very pale gold blend.

So light and sweet and beautiful. It has this slight spice or incensey quality to it, smooth and gentle though. I had no idea but Egyptian Amber smells somewhat similar to Sandalwood.

On

This is a perfect scent if you're into incensey blends. I've always been a Sandalwood freak. This Egyptian Amber is so good that it takes the place previously taken by my beloved Sandalwood.

30 minutes

At 30 minutes Egyptian Amber single note retains it's lovely, warm, incensey scent only not as strong.

Throw:

A bit more than average

Scent category:

Resin

Summary

It has a warm, golden and lightly spiced incense smell immediately and it stays this way, not morphing at all on my skin.

It lasts (thus far for an hour) a fair amount of time too, it does lose the strength of scent when dry but not a huge amount.

This would be so perfect as a meditation blend, but also I'd love to smell this on me all the time as a regular everyday scent.

Purchase again?

God yes. A 10ml, as if.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

First on, Egyptian Amber is rather smoky. It reminds me of burning incense, definitely warm and resiny. In the drydown it sweetens up and gets a warm spicy quality to it. I was rather enjoying it, but it began to go powdery on me after only a few minutes. Amber often turns to baby powder on my skin in blends, and the singlenote is taking the same route...

15 minutes later, this is a faintly sweet and spicy baby powder scent. It's disappointing and disappears quickly on me. Sad, I so want to love amber. It just never works out that way.

at first: sweet and silky.

on: very light. sweet and almost a bit fruity.

half an hour later: a warm, soft, powdery amber.

1.5 hours later: dusty and sweet.

3 hours later: dusty and honey-like.

overall: lovely, lovely stuff.

Wow. This is really nice. Warm and smooth and ambery (sorry!) with a hint of wood and a hint (but not more) of sweet powder. This is *clearly* the primary note in Aureus. This is aureus without the cedar. I also think this is a note in the Lion, but the lion's is richer, so probably some other resins are mixed in there.

Funny thing though, when wet, it smelled like nothing. I was wondering for a few minutes if this wasn't the real thing because there was no scent at all. Then it turned nice, then yum! And it took forever to dry. After 15 min, I finally smudged it a little flatter with my pinky and THEN the scent started to come out, but it stayed wet and shiny looking for at least 45 minutes. I guess that's the thick resin thing.

Small tangent: There's a small handful of BPAL single notes that I genuinely think should come back. Not only because they're gorgeous and would stand on their own, but that they'd make good economic sense (because they're POPULAR) for Beth to bring back, even if only shortly and expensively. Before now, my list of those included Honey, Vanilla Bean & Patchouli for sure, and Dark Myrrh and Coconut for probable. (Just because I think Dark Myrrh is an orgasm in a vial doesn't mean I'm quite sure it has the popularity of the others. :P Coconut I don't care for, but it seems to be fairly popular.) Probably a Rose note or three would have enough popularity to carry it as well. And now, Egyptian Amber has totally joined the list of definites: gorgeous and popular. Just trying it out tonight has me *this close* to buying an amber sample pack from another retailer. (Eden Botanicals if you're nosy.)

Okay, that was a large tangent, sorry.

Anyhow: overall, really lovely. Not as much throw as I'd like, but if it were available, I'd certainly buy more to slather with. Or, oh god, to bathe in. *yummmm*

Egyptian Amber - Ooh, this is pretty! It's a deep, dark golden scent and there's just the slightest bit of a husky woodiness to the scent. The scent is incredibly rich, beautiful, exotic, and I'm surprised at how calming it is. If I had access to BPAL SNs, I'd buy a full bottle. It's positively luxurious.

EGYPTIAN AMBER

In Bottle: Sexy sweet amber

On Skin: This is beautiful!!!! I LOVE amber and this scent makes me more than happy! Perfectly resinous with a sweet dark sexy feeling… I want to roll in this all night long… This is the smoothest note I have ever smelled, it just coats my senses perfectly. No surprises, no funk, no change in feel… it is amber at it’s best. I feel like this amber was made for me the way it amps on my skin and screams “smell me now!!!!” Yes, I need gallons of this one as well. Overall it’s a little powdery, slightly incensey, and extremely sexy... a deep golden tone with a dark base. Light to average throw and the wearlength appears to fading pretty quick sadly, I need to slather it.

A luminous, gentle and reclusive amber, which turns a bit powdery and tends to make me sneeze. Funny how none of the amber blends have done that! Couldn't give it up, though, it's too lovely for that. Better than many amber resins I've smelled.

Just sheer heaven. This amber is making my eyes roll back in my head... it is THAT intoxicating.

It is sweet and warm, with just a hint of spicy powder.

Many many thanks to the magnificent ifinena for the opportunity to try this little bit of crack in a bottle. I am hooked.

Amber in some BPAL blends turns powdery on me. Must not be egyptian amber, because this sucker is smooth, sweet, exotic and resinous. I think resinous SN probably have a longer shelf life than the fruity SNs.

Rich, dark, sexy.