Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Waves of Mist

Waves of Mist, Nicholas Roerich.
Orris root, muguet, white musk, and ambergris accord.

Waves of Mist is an aquatic sort of floral with white musk. I definitely get the ambergris (which gives it that watery vibe), white musk (which is kinda powdery) and something that smells sort of sweet (muguet, is that you?)

White, powdery, watery.

This has a strong, soapy-clean white musk note that sort of burns my nose when it's first applied. The ambergris gives it an aquatic, salty cleanness so that it has a kind of Selsun Blue kind of vibe. I don't mean that in a bad way; it just smells kind of like a commercial "shower-fresh" scent to me when wet. However, the lovely green floral note of the muguet becomes more apparent to me as it dries down, and it becomes a pretty, fresh, white musk and lily-of-the-valley scent, but much more of a spring scent than an autumn one.

Since this technically doesn't have any water/aquatic/ozone notes, I am hoping this will be the first semi-aquatic perfume that I can wear without it going to dryer sheets. Not to mention, I usually like orris, ambergris, and white musk.

Wet, this is a deep, fresh scent, but not dryer-sheet fresh. It is very promising. However, within a few minutes it loses a lot of its depth and becomes more two dimensional like a... you guessed it... dryer sheet. Maybe it's the white musk that does this to me?

Okay, the combination of the white musk and ambergris is officially no longer flat and is starting to be cloying. This is definitely not the perfume for me.

Smells like Sea of Glass.

I can't shake that - is it the muguet? A rain-type scent? I can't detect the orris at all.

Nose ded?

It's good, but I lurve me some SoG.

I was hoping that Waves of Mist would have the same ethereal quality as Silver Phoenix and Staged Moon Landing (both of which share some notes), but no such luck. I can smell the lily-of-the-valley, and while it is behaving better than lilies usually do, it is a little too prominent for my taste. The orris, which is generally one of my favorite notes, is doing its violet impression, rather than the soft powdery version that I prefer. It is a touch aquatic, but not ozone-ish. The white musk isn't too high pitched in this blend. All in all, it is a nice scent, but not what I was hoping for.

I love every note listed for this, so I don't understand why it just smells like laundry soap on my skin :(. I can't pick out any of the listed notes, it just smells nondescript and soapy on me. Boo.

Imp: Clean water and floral.

Wet: Watery florals with a hint of musk.

Dry: Watery florals. It's really quite pretty but not something I need a bottle of.

I could have sworn there was the Eight-Petalled Lotus note here, in fact I'm pretty convinced that it's there, unless there's something else that smells like it. After a bit, the distinction fades a bit, but it's still a lovely watery floral. I like this, it's fresh and clean and would be great for summer. It's not a 'in yo face' aquatic, but a gentle water aspect like (duh) mist. I'll probably hunt down a decant or partial of this, as it smells like EP Lotus, which I love.

Ah perfection! :joy: This is the winner of the Feverish Fancies for me.

Soft, gorgeous white musk with sweet lily of the valley and ambergris. The orris is giving the blend a slightly purple feeling but is far in the background. It really does smell like fluffy mist.

A back-up bottle is on its way.

ITI: The orris root is clearly the top note in the imp, but I get something that reminds me of crushed ant smell, which might be the muguet since I'm familiar with the other notes.

Wet: Yeah, it still smells like orris root, musk, and crushed ant. Not a fan.

Dry: After it dries, the ant smell is lest pronounced, but it's still overtly perfumey and does not please my nose.

Imp: Floral aquatic, reminds me of some of the more commercial floral perfumes but less in-your-face.

Wet: Orris root, like dried iris petals and dust, and muguet, which always smells wet and green to me.

Dry: Lovely soap. Sigh. I do wish that the white florals category worked on me more frequently.

Omfg this is BEAUTIFUL. It's a musk-floral aquatic. This is simple but captivating. It's got a nice strong throw and do I smell a hint of gardenia? (oh wait *checks list* it's muguet. No wonder I like this) The ambergris is giving it that musky, soft, nearly powdery quality, I think. It's the best I've been able to smell ambergris so far and I love it! This is not the light clear clean ocean scent I was expecting. I thought it would be very light and unnoticeable but the sillage is fantastic and I'm kicking myself for procrastinating so long on trying it. It's ethereal and mysterious, a garden maze in full bloom at night shrouded in heavy mist. I keep sniffing my wrist compulsively. Damn it why are LE's so pretty?! I have zero chance of ever finding more of this, it's from 2012 *pouts*