Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Strength

Strength

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

Preconceived notions: I’d like to see some flowers and some dragon’s blood in this one...

In the vial:

Herbs, herbs, and more herbs. This is almost grassy in it’s green-herb ness.

On me:

Yep, still extremely herbal.

In 15 minutes:

It’s much sweeter, but still herbal, yet growing faint

Overall:

It fades too quickly :P. Otherwise, it’s a very nice scent.

Whoops! I put my Justice review above! I meant this:

STRENGTH: Tarot Oil

In Bottle: Green and planty.

On Skin: I smell outdoors… a field. Dandelions and grass. Fresh and crisp… green and yellow come to my mind right away. A perfect spring/summer scent... warm and sunny. I’d love to use this as a room spray since it just wakes you up and smells so clean. After about 10 minutes it’s turning more floral… lilac maybe? Very pretty.

First sniff:

Smells like...sweetgrass! I like this! It's soft and faintly herbal and very pretty. I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't any sweetgrass in this because it's literally all I can smell in Strength. I'm rather hoping this one doesn't morph on me because this is beautiful as is. :D

Wet on skin:

Beautiful, clean sweetgrass. It's vaguely reminiscent of a non-scorched version of Scarecrow, which is nice because as much as I like Scarecrow, it's a little too scorched for me lately. This, though, is soft and understated and very, very natural smelling. It reminds me of corn fields and meadows and sunshine and running around barefoot all summer long. :D

Dry down:

I still smell nothing but sweetgrass, which is just fine by me. I've been having terrible luck with the Tarot Oils lately, so it's a relief to find one that actually works (apart from Death, that is) for a change. My only complaint is that there's a very faint powderiness in this is in the far background that's making me think there might be very well-disguised roses in here, but it's barely there and not enough to bother me. :P

The bottom line:

Clean, natural and homey smelling. For me, extremely comforting and lovely. I'm going to need a bottle of this, I think. :D

Wet, and straight through the drydown, Strength was expansive, grassy and earthy... without actually smelling like 'earth'. It somehow managed to personify the feeling of standing firmly rooted, drawing Earth energy up through the soles of your feet. A wonderful embodiment of the Strength card... and proved to be a great oil to wear through my busiest workday of the year!

I can't believe I've missed reviewing Strength until now, as it's one of my favorite scents. I'm actually on my second bottle, and since it's a 10 ml. and I switch between scents nearly every day, you can guess how much I love this one.

First on, all I can smell are lilies. Rich, heady lilies, which I don't usually think of as a "favorite" note, but they're so good here. When the amber (egyptian, I think) starts to come out underneath them, the combination of cool and warm never fails to get my attention and produce a little shiver of delight.

I don't know why, but any time I wear Strength after having skipped over it for more than a couple of weeks, I weep. Not cry, but the "curl up in a ball and just weep" for ten minutes thing. Maybe my mind knows something I don't, because I typically am applying at night when those moments come along; it's incredibly cathartic, and not a bad thing, strange as that may sound.

The very final stages of dry-down, just before Strength disappears on me, has a green tinge to it. I haven't figured out what the other notes in this blend are, but the lily and amber seem to me like the perfect representation of the figures on the Tarot card.

A beautiful scent, whether you're meditating on the meaning of the card or wearing it as perfume.

I cannot thank Olympia301 enough for sending me this in a swap ... this is an absolutely amazing scent to me, and one that I could see becoming my BPAL signature scent (well, at least as long as Peace remains unavailable) ...

I always wanted to find a scent that really and truly smelled like a florist's shop when you walk in and there are all the wet, fresh-cut green stems all around and this is the first one that did ...

Yet there is something else that comes up that offsets it on drydown, I'm guessing from the reviews from more experienced noses that it's amber ... that gives it a more rounded and deeper sweetness but not in a cloying way.

My only regret about this is that it doesn't last as long as I'd like it to ... however, with just an imp I was reasonably sparing with it. I plan on ordering a big bottle ... maybe even two! ... on Wednesday (depending on how much if any Carnivale Noir I order on my austerity kick here ... I plan on being VERY restrained, especially wiht FIVE outstanding orders already including an apparently wayward 4/1 CnS ... but this scent is a necessity).

Once I get a YOOGE supply of it, I can slather AND make a nice Strength lotion as well ...

This is definitely a top 10 for me now ...

Strength is sharply green right out of the vial. There's a mix of earth/wood in the green, I can't pinpoint which. It gives the scent depth. Eventually the earth/wood note fades away, & then it's mostly green again, & then it starts smelling yellow. A yellow flower buried under all that green. It's entirely un-herbal to my nose, so I don't care for this one.

Strength is such a beautiful, bright green (the scent, not the color) that I could just lose myself rolling around in it. It's a smell of bright tender green shoots in the spring to me, of grass warmed by the sun, a crisp, clean, clear green herbal grass scent. Utterly gorgeous. But it fades so very fast -- I can still see where this is a very invigorating, confidence-building scent that creeps up gently on you like a sunbeam. This is on my bottle list, though it may take me a long time to get around to ordering it.

In the bottle: Greeny herbs. This is going to turn soapy on me, I just know it.

Wet: Ooh. Green. Very, very green. Grassy meadow, clover stem green. Very fresh. I approve.

Dry: Ooooh, now. I smell... honey! Oh, wow. From clover stems to clover blossoms-- a sweet, fresh, live-smelling honey scent, with a little bit of grounding earth. Like burying my face in a clover patch! This is almost foody on me, it's so sweet and delicious, but with a definite green, floral kind of sweetness. This is love. I think a bottle is in order.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Green!

In the imp/bottle: This is another complex blend. It's very green. Something grassy right from the start. Beneath that, something else green, something herbal. Tea, perhaps?

On skin, wet: This is the 'greenest scent' by Beth I've tried yet. It's also aquatic. And still, that light, herbal note that strikes me as tea.

On skin, dry: I adore this. As it dries it quickly dies off, so it would require a bit of slathering to stay strong.

Conclusion: Along with being the greenest scent I've tried, it's also, so far, the most calming. It's very relaxing (moreso that Somnus!). I've not yet used it in Tarot workings, so I can't comment on that aspect of this blend.

Edited by Aredhel

Now this surprised me...

Wet & early dry: fresh, green rose, or maybe rose mixed with something like daffodil. Very spring like. Very pretty.

After about a half hour, something lightly sweet/spicey comes out. Like the smell of dried grass, but greener.

The above review is from the bottle I bought, fresh from the lab. Originally, I had an imp (that I swapped out once I ordered the bottle) that I guess was aged because it was like the above scent only... stronger, darker, richer, and with a hint of baby powder at the end. Like Strength had grown up. Fresh is lovely, but I think that this is one that should be aged to reach it's full potential. OTOH it's a wonderful spring/summer scent while fresh. (I still think I'm going to age it. Or layer it with something deep like snake oil.)

I decided to get Strength as I'm needing A LOT of it to get through a current work project: strength of character, strength in code, strength to get through long days and even longer weeks :P That being said this oil is an absolute joy to help me keep in touch with all that is good and right in the world.

In the imp: Fresh cut grass! The mower's been put away and I get to enjoy and ice cold beer while sitting in the prebagged cuttings. Mmmm...

5 Mins later: Ahhh... while sitting in the grass I'm noticing the garden of stargazer lilies has begun to bloom. The dew is still on them because they are in the shade and I can smell that too.

1 hour later: I've bagged the grass and cut some lillies for the dining room and I am getting the wonderful wifts of sundrenched amber and honey.

This oil keeps on going on me for about 7 hours before needing to be reapplied. It's wonderful getting to experience the grass and lilies all over again.

Bottle (Imp): Herby. Somewhat crisp.

Just On: Herby, some soft herbs. Freshly cut, not ground.

An hour or two later: Yeah, soft herbs, but different than the ones I was smelling earlier, at least part of them. I can't pick out any notes, or herbs, but it's a great mix. It smells like I've been out cutting fresh herbs to bring home and dry.

Around 6 hours: Now I'm getting a tiny bit of staleness, but it's still herbyness.

12 hours: Last of the herbyness with a tiny bit of sweetness.

Overall: I think this might be my favorite tarot oil so far. I like.

After reading other reviews: I get the greenness that others do. This is a nice enough scent, and I'll likely order some eventually.

This is a very herbal, fresh, grassy scent. It smells like a lawn-scented soap on me. Are there lilies here? That would explain the soapiness.

This scent makes me think of twilight. It's light and cool. I don't think I'd want to wear it as a perfume, but it would make an amazing room scent.

Absoulutely gorgeous grassy green and herbal scent, maybe some amber? There's some florals in there and I'm not really sure what else. Is it enough to say this went right on my big bottle please list?

Strength

In the imp: green! Yup, that's right, a fresh chlorophyll green like broken flower stems or crushed leaves, like a florist's shop. Totally unexpected!

Wet on skin: still green and moist, freshly cut flower stems. I can smell a bit of the flowers on the stems here too-I think they could be lilies!

Dry on skin: omg lilies!!! This smells just like fresh lilies in a florists, with the smell of the greenery all around them. I love the smell of lilies and this is just pure full on lily plus the stems and leaves.

After a while: still pure lily heaven! The greenness fades, the floral scent sweetens, but the throw does decrease. There may be amber here, that may be sweetening the florals a bit. I'm sure I also detect a tiny bit of smoke.

After an hour I smell...musk! Oh musk, I love thee!

Verdict: this was totally unexpected from a tarot oil named 'Strength'. I was expecting something punchy, powerful, with a lot of oomph, spices and heat-and I get lilies and green leaves! This is a good thing, since I love the smell of both lilies and greenery, this is like the scent of a florist's shop, full of freshly cut blooms. It's like Tiger Lily without the honey…I might consider getting a bottle of this, because it's the most amazing lily scent!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I almost didn't give this one a fair chance. I got this with my first order back in February and upon sniffing from the vial all I got was soapy grass. Since then, it's just been sitting in my BPAL box, neglected. I seriously considered swapping it, and probably would have if a convenient opportunity came along.

I'm so glad I didn't. Even though I had tested it very lightly on my skin a couple of times before, I just didn't expect much. But this morning I put it on, four tips of the imp onto my wrist, rubbed together and onto my neck and into my hair. At first, as my husband had noted before, it was a very florist-y scent. Like the smell of a florist shop, particularly the green leaves of those florist flowers. What completely surprised me is the drydown I've got now. Musk and Amber, very lovely and sexy but so light. No wonder I never noticed it before.

I get it now. The card. The grass and flowers of the maiden and the golden drydown of the lion underneath. The way that the musk and amber unfolds from the top notes reminds me of my interpretation of this card. The way that the lion represents a driving force, a controlled one, but such a source of raw strength.

There is no doubt I'll be using this now.

at first: so simply and beautiful. strong, but unassuming. it smells like some sort of stem.

on: this smells like the stems of flowers when you cut them. very nice and fresh. cool.

3 hours later: a sharper floral.

4 hours later: more mellow. very nice. i can't pick any notes out, though.

overall: another tarot oil that i'll be for meditation and reflection.

A very complex, green scent. I agree with the people that detected dandelion, that's what the floral note seems closest to. It's green, but there is definitely a hint of a fruity undertone, perhaps apple or a light citrus. Strength is sharp but sweet and alluring at the same time. It's an addictive, magnetic scent for me, and I am seriously comtemplating a big bottle. Just beautiful :P

In bottle: Woody with an aromatic fruit note. In fact it is very green - it definitely makes me think of the leaves and stems of a plant, rather than the flower bud.

On me: Very fresh and green - not at all what I expected. I anticipated Strength would be a heavy fragrance, full of incense and warm woods. Instead it smells of milky stems and leafy vegetation. Mmmm. Perfect - I was wondering what I could do to replace my Dandelion single note when it eventually ran out. While not exactly matching in scent this is similar enough to serve my purposes.

Hard to describe this one (I find that's true with all Tarot oils). It isn't as herbal and grassy as other people have mentioned, although there is a small element of that. Instead, it's a complex, sweet scent on me, almost like it's got vanilla except there's something more tangy in there. Maybe honey, except it doesn't have that sharp richness of BPAL honey on me.

It's basically a very sophisticated and deep scent, sweet, a bit floral, but more like juicy bulb-flowers than little feathery deciduous ones. It really doesn't fit with my idea of Strength (I guess I'm looking for the lion), but as usual, I can blame it on my over-sweet skin chemistry. This might be a good one to try in a locket, since I really *want* there to be a grassy smell, dammit. :P

This is one of the lightest and fastest disappearing scents on my skin. Which is ironic, given its name.

First on this is lovely green grasses, dripping with dew. I can imagine the sun dripping golden rays over them and little yellow flowers sprouting up. I was already plotting to get a big bottle at this point, but this stage was short lived.

After a few minutes, this turned into odd floral baby powder. Then it was gone before I hit a half hour mark.

Perhaps my most disappointing Tarot Oil experience.

Wet - this is very green. The smell is familiar…dandelions perhaps or maybe green grass, with a touch of spice hovering in the background.

Dry - still green, a little perfumey, a little soapy, not for me unfortunately.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.